The meaning of LIFE...

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:16 am
One must first define "LIFE"
Life as we know it is:

"To be empowered to choose and achieve objectives"

What are objectives?

Objectives are {unseen unrealized realities} = {possibilities}

Our {thoughts/imagination/inner vision} are the substance of {unseen unrealized realities = possibilities}

We know that we CANNOT simply desire that a possibility be transformed into a reality and there it is...
We must choose to act in a particular way in order to transform a “chosen possibility”(objective) into a realized possibility(objective fact) and sometimes we do not realize in our minds the TRUTH(the way) we must “act”(choose to express our influence) in order to acquire the object of our “desire”(want)

Why is this the case? Don't know..
Why do I have wants? Don't know..
What is good as opposed to evil relative to nothing?
Everything is relative, therefore nothing, there is only RIGHT(correct) and WRONG(incorrect) relative to a chosen objective.

What objective “SHOULD” one choose relative to nothing?
Everything is relative, therefore “necessity”(should-ness) is purely a matter of a chosen objective..

Why is all this objectively TRUE?
Because it is what we currently realize is the case.. You only KNOW what you KNOW..

Reasoning is not to “decide” what is TRUE, it is to “distinguish” what is KNOWN from what is UNKNOWN..

Logic is not arbitrary it is the “mental realization” of the existence of TRUTH itself.. The observation of the phenomenon of “the way it is”

The essence of LOGIC is in this statement..

“Contrary objectives CANNOT be accomplished.”

“a House that stands against itself, cannot stand”

(X) is not (NOT X)

There is RIGHT and WRONG..

What objective ought one seek? Well to be RIGHT of course..

You only know what you know..

I KNOW that I do not KNOW everything, thus I KNOW that I KNOW something.

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.- Socrates

Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way.
Thomas Jefferson

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance.
Benjamin Franklin

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
George Bernard Shaw

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.
Thomas Sowell

Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.
W. Clement Stone

To know anything well involves a profound sensation of ignorance.
John Ruskin

The more we study the more we discover our ignorance.
Percy Bysshe Shelley

I know nothing, except the fact of my ignorance.
Diogenes

Sixty years ago I knew everything; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
Will Durant

Ignorance per se is not nearly as dangerous as ignorance of ignorance.
Sydney J. Harris

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Daniel J. Boorstin

It ain't ignorance that causes all the trouble in this world. It's the things people know that ain't so.
Edwin Armstrong

Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd.
David Lynch

It is better to pluck out your EYE and and cast it into the fire, then for your whole body to be cast into the fire.. Jesus Christ..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 03:06 am
It is just breathtaking how many assumptions you make on no other apparent authority than that you've posited these things to be true. Have fun with all this nonsense.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@Setanta,
"I hate quotations,just tell me what you know" -Ralph Waldo Emerson.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 05:20 am
@Whatsignificant,
Let me define life for you: Life is Meaning... There is no meaning of life, as apart from life because life is all meaning, all the meaning we will ever grasp or touch upon... Look at value as a synonym for meaning... People collect wealth all of their lives because to them life without wealth has no meaning; but when such people reach the ends of their lives they will often trade all they own and value for a relative few minutes of life because then they see the stark truth of the thing, that without life, wealth has no meaning... How ever we grade the stuff of life from meaningful to meaningless, it is in relation to life, our own lives, and the only way ever found to give people a more relative perspective on the value of life and thus all that is needed to make life feel secure is the offer of an eternal life; and we can see many people who defer all life until they are dead out of a hope for a life beyond life which no death may darken...
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 05:47 am
@Fido,
life is enjoying a simple cup of lapsang tea sitting in the sunroom and watching the new day begin.
Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 05:56 am
@Setanta,
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic.

You attempt to serve underhanded insults, possibly so underhanded that you actually believe that you are NOT insulting, thus you maintain your delusion of innocence, as you NEED to feel morally superior to others.. as is clearly evident by your bragging of achievements and statements which reveal that you believe that your alleged achievements make you morally superior..

But in the end the TRUTH that I reveal will prevail over your mindless accusations and irrelevant opinions of my moral inferiority..
Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:00 am
@Fido,
Life as we know it is:

It is reasoning (reasonable) to distinguish what is KNOWN from what is UNKNOWN..
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:01 am
@Whatsignificant,
This exact thread is a common question that has been asked as many times as "You want fries with that"?. SOmetimes there is nothing new out there except to have a little fun. Get it?
I see you just joined today,Welcome aboard and dont tip the hamsters, they bite.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:01 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

life is enjoying a simple cup of lapsang tea sitting in the sunroom and watching the new day begin.

Fido says: Rough, Rough, Rough...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:02 am
@Whatsignificant,
Whatsignificant wrote:

Life as we know it is:

It is reasoning (reasonable) to distinguish what is KNOWN from what is UNKNOWN..

Life as we know it is time... All we do, and all we choose, and all we value and find meaning in only buys us more time...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:27 am
@Whatsignificant,
However, i didn't do that. I did not present a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of your position--i just pointed out the lack of solid foundation for your claims, based on your use of ipse dixit statements as premises. Neither is that a red herring, because faulty or false premises from which one constructs a thesis are very much to the point.

You're too thin-skinned by far if you consider yourself to have been insulted by being told that your remarks proceed from faulty premises. I have absolutely no interest in moral ascendancy, neither on my part, or alleged by anyone else. I have bragged about nothing, nor have i mentioned any achievement on my part. That is entirely fiction on your part. I have simply pointed out your faulty premises, i haven't accused you of anything. Once again, i have no interest in what people call morality, and i certainly don't judge others on any moral scale.

I can't think you'll last long online with this kind of subject if you're going to lose it whenever someone questions your premises.

Get back to me when you actually reveal some "truth," 'K?
Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:18 am
@Setanta,
It is just breathtaking how many assumptions you make on no other apparent authority than that you've posited these things to be true. Have fun with all this nonsense.

Get back to me when you actually have something to say other then mindless insults and accusations..
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:34 am
@Whatsignificant,
I've made no assumptions, and you just make yourself look silly puking up nonsense like that. You offer a proposition, but the proposition is based on premises, assumptions, which are not demonstrated. I tell you this, and you go off like a cheap firecracker. You make allegations against me which are not supported by anything i've written. In fact, this was all i wrote, what you now copy without any relevance to the exchange:

Quote:

Then you accuse me of using a straw man fallacy--falsely. You accuse me of using a red herring--falsely. You accuse me of "serve[ing] underhanded insults"--falsely. You accuse me of "maintain[ing] [my] delusion of innocence"--entirely falsely, as i made no mention of guilt or innocence on anyone's part. You claim that i "NEED to feel morally superior" (online, all capitals is considered shouting--there's no need to shout)--falsely, as there was no mention of morality, of superiority or of inferiority in my post. You claim that i was "bragging of achievements"--falsely, as is obvious from my post, in which i didn't mention achievements by me or anyone else.

Your response was as much of a mess as your opening post--and as chock-full of unsupported assumptions. Do you really think that you will go online and post drivel like that and not be challenged? Is that tissue of lies you employed to accuse me of so many fantasy crimes a boilerplate that you use against anyone who dares question you?

In fact, i suspect that you didn't come here to debate or discuss anything. It appears that you came here to post what you call "the truth" and then step back while the ignorant masses gasp in awe at your wisdom.

Good luck with that Bubba.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:36 am
@Whatsignificant,
Whatsignificant wrote:
Get back to me when you actually have something to say other then mindless insults and accusations..

That's really hilarious coming from you after your performance here. Once again, do you consider it an insult that anyone would disagree with you? You're not doing very well here.
Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:32 pm
@Setanta,

0 Replies

Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
In fact, i suspect that you didn't come here to debate or discuss anything. It appears that you came here to post what you call "NOT insults" and then state that all you did was dissagree..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:39 pm
The word you wanted was "disagree." Yes, i disagreed, because your premises were not substantiated. No, i didn't insult you. Despite what you apparently considered a wound to your self-love, it is not an insult to be told that you might be wrong. Had you responded with anything other than vicious hysteria, there might have been occasion to discuss your premises. Small chance of that now.
Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:56 pm
@Setanta,
Why should I respond in a reasonable way to some who's first response was clearly nothing more then an insult, with NO ARGUMENTATION to back it up..

Think about what you said..

My responses where simply to make that point..

What you said in your first post was just down right rude..

Get over yourself..

Then we might have a disscussion..
djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:01 pm
@Whatsignificant,
i don't think set really insulted you

let me show you how it's done

what kind of dumbshit goes to wikiquotes and tries to pass it off as a philosophy

now that's an insult
0 Replies

Whatsignificant

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:14 pm
@Whatsignificant,
What I do is, NOT assume...

That includes NOT absurdly assuming that what I clearly KNOW, is some how not TRUE.

To simply say mabey your wrong is just simply not "reasoning"

Reasoning is to distinguish between what you KNOW and what is UNKNOWN..

If I say that "I KNOW that I exist"

And you say, "What if your wrong?"

Or

"Maybe you don't"

Well then I would say something equally unreasonable.. Because you just can't have a reasonable disscussion with a **** HEAD= (hypocrite)

You may not KNOW that I exist.. I may be an illusion, I would accept this as at least an attempt at justifying your position..

But in any case whether or not “I KNOW you exist” is irrelevant, the TRUTH is YOU KNOW that you exist in some sense..Even if all you know is that what you are is “That which knows things”

Even if all that you observe is an illusion, you still KNOW that you are observing it.. thus it CANNOT BE TRUE that ALL you observe is an illusion..

You KNOW you are at least "that which knows it observes"

I know that I exist
I know that I feel
I know that I succeed
I know that I fail
I know that I want
I know that I am poor

I know that I don't know everything
I know that know something..

I know that if we seek to empower each other that we will both be more empowerd then if we did other than wise..

You may not KNOW these things to be TRUE of me..

But you KNOW that they are TRUE for you.