Yet another good reason to turn the screws on the Gypsys

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:18 pm
@Ceili,
Good photo. I'm sure I'm ignorant about the man I met. Being from Romania and playing a violin doesn't make you Roma, obviously, and this fellow was very able, and using the street. <wonders>

On the other hand, my varied times 'attackers' in Rome likely were. As said, I loosened up after a bit. There was a thread here some years ago, by nimh, I think, about the roman powers that be clearing them out of the Testaccio area, where they were part of the fabric of the place..
no link right now.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:38 pm
If what Hawkeye means by 'turn the screws' is to insist that travellers follow the law of the land in which they live and to which all other citizens are answerable, I don't really see any problem with his thought beyond his unfortunate choice of terminology.

I have to say that what I've seen of the way women in travelling culture are treated is very, very sexist and demeaning.
They are still essentially chattel, from what I can observe first-hand and have gleaned from how the travelling men talk about them.

And their children are not prepared for life in society. They aren't educated or literate.
I think people want to defend their right to an alternative lifestyle because it seems so quaint.
Actually, it's not that quaint - if you're a woman - or a child who has no choice but to be dragged around without a home except for the wagon they park on the side of the road until they can be run off by whoever that land happens to belong to.
And the women can only marry men the family approves of - in other words - only the sort of men who will engage in the family 'business'.
Yeah, the idea is quaint - but the reality is pretty depressing for women and children.
And this is information I've gleaned from talking to present day, real live travellers.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:44 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
If what Hawkeye means by 'turn the screws' is to insist that travellers follow the law of the land in which they live and to which all other citizens are answerable, I don't really see any problem with his thought beyond his unfortunate choice of terminology.
Meant as a counter to what appears to be the long running policy from EU leaders that no demands can be made upon the Gypsys, that the proper way forwards is to offer bribes and hope for the best.....because this has worked so well so far (with the muslims especially in mind, but the Roma as well). Their work needs to be on the books, the laws followed, and the kids need to be in school. I would also demand that they learn the language of where ever it is they want to be, but that would be more controversial.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 03:41 am
A particularly good part of the Professor Igor Lukes (Boston U) Q and A
Quote:
Will the Roma ever assimilate into the cultures of the countries where they settle?
People like to talk about the clash of civilizations. I have never accepted the inevitability of that dire concept. But here, I confess, is one, for real. This is a true clash of lifestyles, a clash between a nomadic people who since they left India some time in the 11th century have heroically and against all odds maintained their lifestyle, even as the world became more and more settled and developed before their eyes. So you have a group of nomads, bringing their habits from the 11th century into the heart of Paris in the 21st century. The contrast could hardly be any bigger.

In what areas is the clash most pronounced?
The Roma are defending their values, their ancient and proud traditions, and their approach to human existence, which is utterly disconnected from the reality of the modern world. Of course, the host countries say, we are not against your culture, we might even enjoy and admire it, our skepticism has got nothing to do with your otherness or the color of your skin. This involves basic principles that everybody has to uphold. For instance, you have to send your children to school and you have to have your children inoculated before they can be admitted, and you should learn the language of the host country, and you should work for a living, and you should buy medical insurance, and save up for your retirement. If you wish to live on the road, fine, but you will need passports and money, and there are hygienic requirements you must fulfill. You cannot use Hyde Park as your bathroom

http://www.bu.edu/today/node/11617

10 Century's the gypsys have been at this, but EU leaders think they can change all that with free housing and appeals to good sense?? Please....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:55 am
Quote:
Educational researcher Jane Schuch from the Humboldt-University in Berlin evaluated the interviews, and was struck by the number of Sinti and Roma who never went to school: thirteen percent of those surveyed. The number drops by generation - 9.4 percent of the current generation has never attended school - but of those who do go, 44 percent don't graduate.

Only 15 percent received some kind of vocational training, and "we didn't even talk about university graduation," Schuch said.

Classroom cruelty

The numbers - and the nearly complete lack of university graduates - are in stark contrast to the majority of German society. Members of the Association of German Sinti and Roma and researchers agree that the poor educational representation is a result of the persecution of Sinti and Roma in Nazi Germany and the ensuing ostracism from German society after World War II. Parents today don't have a good feeling about sending their kids to school, says Schuch. They know what kind of reception they're likely to get.

"It ranges from open hostility - 'gypsies stink, gypsies steal,' the whole row of stereotypes that these kids are confronted with at school - to teachers who go so far as to say things like 'actually, Hitler had the right idea with you guys.' That's happened twice in two different places," Schuch said.

Schuch believes the education system lacks structures that would make integrating Sinti and Roma in schools easier and help stop discrimination.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15106122,00.html

Oh I see, the Gypsies refuse to let their kids go to school, and when asked why they say that it is because the Germans persecuted them 60 YEARS AGO and to this the Germans respond "oh, that makes perfect sense" WTF!, when are the German people going to stop feeling guilty for Nazism, grow a set of balls, and demand that the Gypsies meet some basic standards, for instance to get their kids to school, pay taxes, and obey the laws?? Is it really too much to ask?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:33 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Just curious... Is there anyone you don't hate?
I saw a film once of a gang of Gypsy kids in France tearing at this tourists pockets like a school of parana going after a pound of hamburger... When it was all over and the fish, for the most part had swam off he grabbed this teenaged Gypsy girl, thinking she might have his loot... She pulled her shirt way up, revealing her breasts, and tit head that he was, the guy just stared in disbelief, and she took his moment of surprise to slip away and join the gang... Payday!!! And there was the guy wandering on, stunned with torn pockets wondering what had hit him...

There are a lot of reasons the Germans killed them, though they were Arians... They have an intense cultural hatred of dirt, and an intense cultural identity of themselves and an affinity for others of their kind... They believe they are entitled to steal, and they are all over... If they could be taught to work they could be Jews, and we could have another Israel just for them... There is nothing harmless or insignificant about that people... They would stick together and fight back... The Germans could not enslave them... They could not sepparate the men from the women without a knife turning up and an SS man getting stabbed... They had to gas them all, which they naturally considered a waste...
Ceili

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:34 pm
@Fido,
Sure, now that's what the world needs, more hatred based on fiction. Greaaaat!
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:00 pm
@Ceili,
Any hate that the Gypsies churn up is well earned. They show a complete lack of respect for the majority culture, and they refuse to be honest. They dont send their kids to school because they are afraid of what will happen based upon events from 60 years ago??!! What bullshit, we know from study of other subcultures that they dont sent their kids to school because they dont want to lose them to the majority culture. The bleeding heart liberal advocates buy into the self reporting hook line and sinker but the average German or Frenchman is too smart for that. Not only are the confronted with the disrespectful Gypsies but also a government which not only refuses to fix the problem but which also indicates a complete ignorance of what the real problem is. It has got to be frustrating.
Fido

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:52 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Sure, now that's what the world needs, more hatred based on fiction. Greaaaat!
I don't hate any body... They do not like dirt, and any sort of work that gets them dirty... They have the fiction they use to support their thievery, that they are entitled to do so, just as the Jews are entitled to what they take because they are the chosen people... There is no point to hate, but everyone should be aware of the way people's myths bring them into conflict, and challenge the myths if they would from the start avoid the conflict... I have some friends who are Chinese... They are as avaricious, as money and property conscious as any jew, and very often and in many places the prey upon native populations until the natives find themselves in a position to dispossess the chinese... The difference is, that there is no cultural defense of what the Chinese do, no myth behind their actions... They stick together, and work together out of a cultural identity which has only to do with pure self interest, and that would be easy enough to break in time... But the myths the Jews and Gypsys use to justify will never die until they die... They know it is their cultural edge... It is all they got, and without it they would just be so many joes working for a living...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Any hate that the Gypsies churn up is well earned.

Including genocide?
talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 04:26 pm
Famous Gypsies: Elvis Presley, Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Hoskins, Rita Hayworth, Yul Brynner, etc.
Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 05:17 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Famous Gypsies: Elvis Presley, Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Hoskins, Rita Hayworth, Yul Brynner, etc.
Did any of them work???
talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 06:18 pm
@Fido,
All the girls went for Elvis and Charlie Chaplin was against Hitler. Acting is not a job? Hollywood is controlled by Jews so they are not working?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 06:20 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Quote:
Any hate that the Gypsies churn up is well earned.

Including genocide?
Who has killed gypsies wholesale during my lifetime ( I am 49)?
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, you do have a point there. I was referring to the Nazi genocide, of course (which, incidentally, as if I needed to say this, claimed the lives of many people whom you would deem to be productive). (I just turned 61. In other words, I'm not of the World War II generation.)

Admittedly, it was a dumb question meant for rhetorical effect. I mean, no one in his right mind would support genocide. Just maniacal dictators and other evil people.

Now I'm no longer serious: You gotta watch out for those Gypsies, though. Remember what the old Gypsy did to that lawyer in Thinner? Whatever you do, don't eat any Gypsy pie! Laughing
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:41 am
The biggest gypsy would be former president Bill Clinton.
0 Replies