What helps relieve the symptoms of caffeine withdrawl and speeds along the process of it?

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:46 pm
I'm trying to drink more water but whenever I stop drinking soda and things with caffeine I get horrible migraines.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:47 pm
@MorganBieber,
Why are you going cold turkey on all things caffeine?
MorganBieber

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
So I can be more healthy and get in shape.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:07 pm
@MorganBieber,
As my understanding, these two things are kind of mutually exclusive. With moderate consumption of caffeinated beverages, one can still stay healthy and exercise to remain fit.

But you must have your reasons so... I found this:
Quote:
Headache Relief
Headaches are one of the most common symptoms of caffeine withdrawal. Hair of the dog treatment is one way of relieving the pain. One characteristic of caffeine is that it expands blood vessels and allows more oxygen to get to the brain. If you suddenly stop drinking beverages with caffeine, you'll feel it. Excedrin, a painkiller with acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine, will treat the pain while also giving you a tiny dose of caffeine and help improve blood flow. Also, drinking decaf coffee or green tea will provide you with small amounts of the substance and help improve blood flow.

Read more: Caffeine Withdrawal Relief | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5406041_caffeine-withdrawal-relief.html#ixzz1IcOJac9c

Quote:
You can avoid caffeine withdrawal by limiting your daily consumption, being educated about sources of caffeine, and by gradually decreasing the consumption rather than ending use abruptly.

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-caffeine?page=2
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:08 pm
@MorganBieber,
That is not so wise if you really have migraines. Smaller amounts of caffeine help reduce the effects of migraines. Gradual withdrawal is the better way.

What is it that you think is so bad for you about caffeine as far as your health is concerned?
MorganBieber

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:52 pm
@Ragman,
I drink 2 diet dr peppers a day and I was told I need to drink more water.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:58 pm
@MorganBieber,
I'm assuming you have a normal bladder and two healthy kidneys. By that I mean you can drink both Dr. Pepper and water in a single day, though hopefully not at the same time. That might be too excessive. Drinking from a can and a glass at the same time. Needs excellent two handed coordination to pull off.

True. Drinking water is a better alternative to soda.

Though it does seem a bit strange that you are getting caffeine withdrawal from drinking a mere 2 cans (?) of soda a day. Is this really the only caffeine you take in in a 24 hour period? I wonder if maybe you're extra sensitive to caffeine (metabolism wise).

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:10 am
@tsarstepan,
I'd go slow on withdrawing (Rome wasn't built in a day).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Though it does seem a bit strange that you are getting caffeine withdrawal from drinking a mere 2 cans (?) of soda a day. Is this really the only caffeine you take in in a 24 hour period? I wonder if maybe you're extra sensitive to caffeine (metabolism wise).

I was thinking the same thing. Now there are other things that contain caffeine, like many cold pills. Morgan might want to check out the other stuff he is ingesting.

On the flip side, I can't handle caffeine at all, and it has gotten worse as the years went by. Even a cup of coffee would cause me a dizzy spell that would last for hours.
jespah

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:43 am
@Phoenix32890,
Morgan's a she.

And yeah, that's another thing -- there's other stuff with stimulants in it, like chocolate.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:45 am
@MorganBieber,
Two diet Dr. Peppers is absolutely nothing to be concerned about caffine wise. I think that is similar to a half cup of drip coffee. Several years ago a cola addict I know got pregnant and thought she should give up caffine. Her doctor told her just moderate a little and she'd be fine.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:45 am
@MorganBieber,
MorganBieber wrote:

I drink 2 diet dr peppers a day and I was told I need to drink more water.

You're probably dehydrated. You need to increase water consumption to increase urine output.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:00 am
@MorganBieber,
More water is always a good idea.

Decreasing caffeine intake is also a good idea, but probably best to decrease gradually rather than trying to cut it out cold turkey. Caffeine rebound headaches can be nasty.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:32 am
@MorganBieber,
I may be wrong, but I suggest that this is spurious question with little substance to it. Taken together with your other threads you seem to be simply a fairly typical "troubled" teenager looking for a sympathetic ear. If I am correct, I would advise you that maturity alone tends to sort things out.
spendius

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@fresco,
That's true fresco but my advice to Morgan is to delay the onset of maturity for as long as he/she can because otherwise s/he will end up like us two too rapidly and it come as a nasty shock. It kills you know.

That's got me wondering. I wonder if early maturers are a bigger drain on NHS resources, living as they tend to do in a series of long-term sub-lethal illnesses, than late maturers like me. The school reports are all in the archives and so are the medical records. And school by school there would be no demographic arguing points. If it turned out they were costing more it would be reasonable to place a surcharge on their insurance contributions as was suggested for smokers.

But it actually would have to be kept secret because if it got out everybody would start acting immaturely and we would have difficulty finding suitably intelligent people to run the country.

Auberon Waugh, in what I assume was a moment of despair, said that he thought that "goofing off" might be the only sensible way forward.
0 Replies

MorganBieber

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
@Miller,
Oh I drink other things too thats just what I drink with caffeine.
0 Replies