FBI urges police to watch for people carrying almanacs

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 12:11 am
FBI urges police to watch for people carrying almanacs

WASHINGTON -- The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist planning.

In a bulletin sent Christmas Eve to about 18,000 police organizations, the FBI said terrorists may use almanacs "to assist with target selection and pre-operational planning."

It urged officers to watch during searches, traffic stops and other investigations for anyone carrying almanacs, especially if the books are annotated in suspicious ways.

"The practice of researching potential targets is consistent with known methods of al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations that seek to maximize the likelihood of operational success through careful planning," the FBI wrote.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the bulletin this week and verified its authenticity.

The FBI noted that use of almanacs or maps may be innocent, "the product of legitimate recreational or commercial activities." But it warned that when combined with suspicious behavior-- such as apparent surveillance-- a person with an almanac "may point to possible terrorist planning."

The FBI said information typically found in almanacs that could be useful for terrorists includes profiles of cities and states and information about waterways, bridges, dams, reservoirs, tunnels, buildings and landmarks. It said this information is often accompanied by photographs and maps.

The FBI urged police to report such discoveries to the local U.S. Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Almanac terror!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 12:18 am
Just discovered that BP-Bear had also posted this one. Still, it's worth checking out twice!!
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:52 am
People don't kill people. Almanacs do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:27 am
Uh oh, my Mom's in trouble.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:33 am
Our weapons are surprise and a ruthless interpretation of the truth--Cardinal Biggles
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:55 am
Ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope ...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 04:55 pm
...a love of geographical information and a burning desire to date the phases of the moon.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
will Wisden's Almanac cause a riot???
"Aussie trio in Wisden's top 5"

Or only at SCG?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:23 pm
Quote:
And when they go to school, we want to make sure they've got supplies. We want to make sure they've got tablets to write on and crayolas to color with, and even jump ropes to jump with. And so one of the things that's happened is we've put a coalition -- that means a group of people together to send textbooks to Afghanistan. We've sent 4 million textbooks thus far, and there's another 6 million to go in Afghanistan, so the boys and girls will have something to read.

Dubya, Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School March 20, 2002.

Handy, if there's a need to drop bombs on those Afghans. Thay had WMD's, Workbooks of Mass Destruction!!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:29 pm
BPB posted a similar thread earlier. As I noted there if an almanac is suspicious then possession of a library card must be absolute proof.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:45 pm
NPR (National Public Radio, a bastion of the Liberal Media in the US) had fun with this story. They would report a few lines from, say, Mr Stillwater's quote from AP, followed by "random' entries from the "Farmer's Almanac."
One has to wonder who in the FBI signed off on this. Perhaps it was the same dude who suggested duct-taping our windows.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:13 pm
Quote:
FBI alert puts almanac editor on defensive

Gary Dorsey, Baltimore Sun Friday, January 2, 2004

At first, Kevin Seabrooke admitted he felt "a little bemused" by this week's news of the FBI's terrorist warning to 18,000 law enforcement organizations to be watchful of people in possession of, well, almanacs.

Seabrooke, a senior editor for the annually published "The World Almanac and Book of Facts," did not say "amused."

"Bemused," said Seabrooke, employing an appropriately cautious synonym for "bewildered, perplexed, utterly confused" and/or "stupefied."

On Monday, when the FBI's bulletin -- urging police to be alert for almanac-wielding rascals who might use the weighty compendiums for "target selection and pre-operational planning" -- became public, Seabrooke was in the midst of his usual end-of-the-year radio trivia shows -- "talking to people doing wrap-ups on the Top 10 news stories and that kind of thing."

Suddenly, he was at home on the phone doing damage control. He acknowledged that he has had to be careful not to be too critical of an alert that some people might consider a bit overwrought.

"We applaud the FBI," Seabrooke said. "They're trying to do their job and keep us safe and cover all the bases -- and perhaps over-covering the bases, but who can say?"

So instead of criticizing, Seabrooke said he's telling people everything in the almanac is already public information readily available on the Internet and at their local libraries. "In fact," he added, masking a hint of irony, "the government is our biggest single supplier of information."

He is also reminding people that in 1961, a wire service photograph of President John Kennedy in the White House showed only six books on his desk --

including the World Almanac.

And a similar photo of President Bill Clinton in 1999 showed the chief executive at his desk with a copy of the World Almanac clearly visible.

During World War II, he added, the government asked almanac editors to send 100,000 copies of the popular tome to American troops overseas. Which they did, of course.

"We've been around for 136 years," Seabrooke said, noting that the FBI's warning might only be relevant to the 2004 book's chapter titled "Buildings, Bridges and Tunnels," which begins on page 436 and, he hastened to add, only covers "12 pages out of 1,008."

As for those pages, Seabrooke said, much of the information can be obtained easily from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, which is where the almanac got it.

SOURCE
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:22 pm
An almanac is suspicious? My username at another site has been "almanac" for four years.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:42 pm
I made sure to buy all of my friends al-Manaqs this week. Mine is perched in the rear window of my car. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:37 pm
sooooo, I'm putting a trap-door in the floor of the back bedroom closet, and I'm going to hide all my reference books there.

The U.S. now sounds like mainland China 30 - 40 years ago.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
We aren't there yet, but there seem to be some in power who would find such a scenario desireable, albeit with a theocratic twist. Republic of Gilead anyone?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:18 am
<and there are still almanachs in the portal of this site>
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:08 am
I'm sure it just part of an ongoing plan to denounce the crime of reading as subversive or unAmerican.

Reminds me of a little joke:

Back behind the Iron Curtain, all patrols sent out always had three soldiers in them. Why?

One to read. One to write. One to keep eye on intellectuals!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 05:46 pm
Quote:
Mr. Ashcroft said critics had tried to persuade the public that the F.B.I. was monitoring libraries to "ask every person exiting the library, `Why were you at the library? What were you reading? Did you see anything suspicious?' "

The Justice Department, Mr. Ashcroft said, "has no interest in your reading habits. Tracking reading habits would betray our high regard for the First Amendment. And even if someone in government wanted to do so, it would represent an impossible workload and a waste of law enforcement resources."

There you go, READING per se won't get you in trouble. Being found with proscribed READING MATERIALS will! Better see how far the old, 'I was holding it for a friend', or 'It's not a traffickable amount your Honour" will get you!!
0 Replies