Can the “ego” be extinguished?

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:31 am
I occasionally have what people might call “egotistical” thoughts; I will occasionally think to myself how good something I did was, and I’ll get pleasure in knowing that others may have been impressed by what I did. There are people though, who claim that the ego is something that we must “overcome”, or get rid of, as if it’s this constant affliction that people suffer from. However, I can still engage in thoughts and thinking that are not egotistical in any way. I think what I am saying is that people are not continuously egotistical, and also that no one can “erase” their ego’s entirely, but, what you can achieve, is a reduction in the activity of the ego.

Nevertheless, can the ego be totally gotten rid of?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:35 am
@existential potential,
Quote:

Nevertheless, can the ego be totally gotten rid of?

When you die.
existential potential

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:38 am
@maxdancona,
yes, but I what I meant was can the ego be extinguished in a living human being? some Buddhist thought and other spiritual thinking claims that the ego is something that, through a certain process, can be erased permanently, but on the contrary, I do not think this is possible.
0 Replies