Are the words correctly used?

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 11:07 am
Three months after Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew published his latest book. Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, the erstwhile statement deigned to retract the offending remarks he made about the Singapore Malay/Muslim community.

“I stand corrected,” he said in a statement he issued to the media late Monday night (7 March), noting that those remarks were made about two to three years ago.

1. Is 'published' correctly used? How could he publish his own book. I think it should be "Three months about his latest book. Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, was published ..." Am I correct?

2. Is 'erstwhile' correctly used?

3. Is the first paragraph correct? It seems that it is not a complete sentence.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 639 • Replies: 2
No top replies

firefly

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 11:43 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Three months after Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew published his latest book. Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, the erstwhile statement deigned to retract the offending remarks he made about the Singapore Malay/Muslim community.

“I stand corrected,” he said in a statement he issued to the media late Monday night (7 March), noting that those remarks were made about two to three years ago.

Quote:
1. Is 'published' correctly used? How could he publish his own book.

"Published" can be used in that context--it can refer to the fact that an author made his work public, that his work was put into print and issued for publication.
However, if you want to be more precise, you might say:
Three months after his latest book, "Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going", was published...

"erstwhile" is not being used correctly in that sentence.

The first sentence should read:

Three months after publication of his latest book, Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew issued a statement to retract previously made offending remarks about the Singapore Malay/Muslim community.

or

Three months after publication of his latest book, Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew issued a statement designed to retract prior offending remarks he had made about the Singapore Malay/Muslim community.

or

Three months after publication of his latest book, Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going, Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew issued a statement to retract prior offending remarks he made about the Singapore Malay/Muslim community.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:08 pm
Many thanks, Firefly.
0 Replies