The Michele Bachmann Watch

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:21 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
But that would require her to do more than talk about American history. She would have to read it.

Wandel, why do you hate America?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:03 am
@Setanta,
You've got me there!

Seriously, though, the way Bachmann, Palin, and Glenn Beck present American history is a real disservice to the American public.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:05 am
@wandeljw,
I agree, but given that the way standard texts present it is often a disservice as well, and no one complains about that, i think you're a pinko fellow traveler bent on destroying this great beacon, this shining city on a hill, which GOD ALMIGHTY has created to lead mankind out of sin and darkness. Now ain't you ashemed of yerself?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:07 am
@Setanta,
You're 100% correct. I should be deported back to Germany. On the other hand, America gets to keep Thomas. Smile
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:19 am
@wandeljw,
Now you're scarin' me . . . could you take that Bachmann bitch with ya?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
“Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.”

Wow! we could all live like the working children in the slums of India. Great economic plan for America. The lowest minimum wage in the US is now $5.15 (GA & WY) - How the hell does anyone in America feed themselves and keep a roof over their head on that, let alone less? Laborers with these sort of wages make crap for Walmart at best and starve at worst.

A deaf and blind dog could spot Bachmann is a moron with statements like these.
High Seas

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:31 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

A deaf and blind dog could spot Bachmann is a moron with statements like these.

Deaf and blind dogs have to eat in order to stay alive - that's a minor detail eluding your otherwise brilliant financial analysis. Bachmann is right.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:40 am
@High Seas,
Right in what sense? Probably a sense which is great for business - it would put a steady downward pressure on wages for those at the lowest levels. That would surely save a lot of money on payroll costs for manual labor.

But, what good does it do someone to earn $3 an hour? You can't maintain a standard of living that we consider acceptable on $600 a month. Fixing unemployment by creating a bunch of jobs that pay next to nothing, fixes nothing.

So who really benefits from this proposal?

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:54 am
@High Seas,
You think it would be good for America for people to make less than $5.00 per hour? What could they eat? Where could they live? What could they buy that would support a larger economy? How could they send their children to school? They couldn't afford bus fare to get to a job.

This country was built on a middle class making a living wage mostly after WWII. Anything less is the model for a country that will descent into mass poverty. We've tried it in the past, it was called The Gilded Age and it was full of people working (and dying) in sweat shops.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:59 am
@Green Witch,
People who want to pay less than a living wage would likely commit suicide, if they had to settle for that kind of money.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:02 am
@Green Witch,
The bullshit concept of "trickle down" largesse has been debunked in this present downturn. The "Captains" of industry have mostly trickled our economy "OUTSIDE" our national boundaries for the sake of only stock return.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:03 am
Greenwitch has exposed the true mumbling stupidity of a point of view such as HS expresses. Lower people's wages sufficiently (and with the current minimum wage, you don't have to lower it very damned much), and you destroy the consumer economy. Boy, won't everyone be happy then ! ! !
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The bullshit concept of "trickle down" largesse has been debunked in this present downturn. The "Captains" of industry have mostly trickled our economy "OUTSIDE" our national boundaries for the sake of only stock return.

True - but except for you nobody else brought it up. At least you know the difference between "national" and "domestic" (as in GNP and GDP) so you don't need to be told we have 20 million lawful residents in desperate straits - or about 20 million illegal aliens working at or about $2/hr.

Businesses from Walmart to your corner Bodega would lose out if they had to pay $3/hr plus observe whatever other restrictions are imposed by applicable laws - but how many states (currently unable to help the unemployed / underemployed) would benefit? Try 48 our of 50!
Oylok

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:17 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Deaf and blind dogs have to eat in order to stay alive - that's a minor detail eluding your otherwise brilliant financial analysis. Bachmann is right.

What makes you believe "staying alive" is the most meaningful thing to any human? Even a poor one? The poor should call this bluff and begin wilfully starving themselves to death rather than consent to be treated or thought of as "dogs."

In another thread I recently proposed an idea that would seriously improve the lives of many poor (like myself), who are NOT lazy or stupid, but merely lack the contextual view of their own talents that would allow them to see where in the economy they fit.

My thread advocated a form of "exploitation", but of a kind that would allow the worker to develop his/her full economic potential, and it did not advocate exploitation of the destructive, asset-stripping variety that has been proposed here.
High Seas

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:22 am
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:

High Seas wrote:

What makes you believe "staying alive" is the most meaningful thing to any human?............ destructive, asset-stripping variety that has been proposed here.

Destruction and asset stripping proposed here? By whom? How is a dead person (or dog for that matter) going to benefit from your "meaningful" policy?
Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:39 am
Here's a news flash for the Republicans: There is no shortage of crappy, low paying jobs in America. There is a shortage of jobs that keep the American middle class alive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:41 am
@edgarblythe,
No Edgar, they would kill you for whatever they could steal from your pockets.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:55 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

No Edgar, they would kill you for whatever they could steal from your pockets.

I saw a news story on TV a day or two ago. The Georgia (Think I got the right state) anti immigrant laws are keeping pickers away. They interviewed a farmer who has all these blackberries about to rot and no citizen willing to pick them. He has some other crop already ripening and there apparently will again be no pickers.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is true in my state too. Plenty of farm jobs, but not even teenagers want the work. They would rather get a job at The Gap or Burger King and work in air conditioning. Local farmers have complained about crop loss because they could not find enough people to pick apples and cabbages, and my state is not as tough as Georgia on its immigrant labor force, we just have a shortage. Just wait until HighSeas and Maxadonna go to the grocery store and see the prices doubled because farmers had to start paying $15 a hour to attract workers.
High Seas

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

......... Just wait until HighSeas and Maxadonna go to the grocery store and see the prices doubled because farmers had to start paying $15 a hour to attract workers.

Slowly but surely you have stumbled upon the financial solution to your "middle class wages" problem - unless tripping over the dead bodies murdered by all those who won't pay "middle class" wages in order to steal from your buddy's pockets (how much do his pockets contain?) slows you down <G>