Weird Stuff on Cable

Ragman

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:49 pm
@farmerman,
Perhaps that might be happening over there on your screen, but sorry to bring you bad news, but it's here for others 4 times. If you don't believe me, ask someone else.
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 03:14 pm
@Ragman,
Five times on my screen. Do I win some kinda prize?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:08 pm
Oh Roberta, I'm so happy you started this. I agree with all of the previous mentions, although whoever listed Masterpiece theater must have been confused about the definition of weird. I do have a few that have not been mentioned, so here goes. Worst on my list, Bridezillas, you will hate yourself for watching. American Hoggers (I didn't know feral pigs were doing so much damage) but the 'stars' engage in the usual nastiness among the cast. The following are equally crappy, Impractical Jokers, South Beach Tow, Duck Dynasty, Iyania (fix my life), Hill Billy Blood. The next three are network creations, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, and most loathsome Donal Trumps Celebrity Apprentice. Why won't Donald Trump just shut up and count his money?

Regarding the History Channel and the Learning Channel, they both used to offer quality programming, but apparently 'crappy' is more profitable.

Well, now I think I'm gonna pop a nitro and get on with the day. Most anxious to hear of any crapstorms I may have missed.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 05:25 pm
@glitterbag,
Duck Dynasty is not crappy!

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:54 pm
@Ticomaya,
I watched the clip, sigh, you don't think it's crappy even with the info on the clips you posted? OK, give me some time to think of another word.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:06 pm
glitter, Glad you showed up and glad you like the thread. Although I've heard of all the shows you mentioned, I haven't watched any of them. Well, I did watch a few minutes of Duck Dynasty.

As far as word choices go, how does suckocious grab ya?

Clearly taste is very personal.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 04:55 am
@Roberta,
Suckocious does sound more musical than "disrespectful exploitation of a portion of the country that some folks from other parts of the country revel in the notion that all Southerners were extras in the movie 'deliverance'". Yep, I think you nailed it. Suckocious is my new word, with credit to Roberta, the talented wordsmith from up yonder.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:19 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Clearly taste is very personal.

This is true.

For example, most opera is suckocious.

What is interesting, and what you may not know (I'm using the royal "you"), is that the cast members of Duck Dynasty are millionaires. (I'm not sure if "exploitation" is the right word, or if it is, whom is exploiting whom.)

Link to news story
LINK to Duck Commander
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:38 am
@Ticomaya,
I do know that the members of duck dynasty are gazillionaires. The episode where they bought a vineyard and bought grapes (supposedly) from a grocery store was strictly for all viewers to feel superior. It's insulting, to a segment of the population. And no, I'm not from Mississippi. I think it's a mistake to assume geography determines intellect, although I have no explanation for Texas.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:41 am
@Roberta,
Hey Roberta, looks like a nerve was touched. I forgot about Millionaire Matchmaker, do you suppose that show is not equally crappy?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:01 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I think it's a mistake to assume geography determines intellect, ...

Of course it is. Who does that?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 03:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
How much time do you have?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Nobody I know does that. I find it an interesting observation.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
Pay closer attention. It sneaks up on you, then suddenly you are scratching your head wondering where that comment came from.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 02:34 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Ice Cold Gold is a show in which a bunch of Americans decide to go to Greenland to mine for gold. Rough dangerous terrain. No gold. Then they decide to look for rubies. Likely places for rubies are inaccessible. The guys are whiny, kvetchy, and pissed off. The final episode is Sunday. The coming attractions showed some guys yelling and all excited. Maybe they find something.

I watched the final episode. The team splits up. Four to the north to look for gold. Four to the south to look for rubies. Weather is not their friend. Up north there's a storm. No gold. They gotta go home goldless.

Down south the storm has past. It left about a foot and a half of snow on the ground. How can you look for rubies when there's snow covering everything? That's a stupid question. This is TV. One of the less experienced members of the group happens to spot an outcropping that isn't covered with snow. And lo and behold, rubies are sticking out of the stone. Actual rubies. And the team with only two hours before the copter arrives to take them out of there.

They collect as many rubies as they can in two hours. And that's it.

Plenty of rubies. Plenty of money. The team is determined to return next year during the summer to collect the rest of the rubies sticking out of the rock. They don't plan on telling anybody where they found the rubies.

Question Question Exclamation Question Question

Didn't they just show the whole thing on television? Not one of your better kept secrets.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:15 pm
The summer season is upon us. Some amazingly lame shows are also upon us.

Scared and Naked (or is it Naked and Scared?). Two total strangers of the opposite sex are stripped nekkid and left in a wilderness area to fend for themselves for 21 days. Despite the nakedidity, this is a total bore. Also, body parts are fuzzed over, so you see a lot of fuzz and skin. And an occasional butt.

72 Hours. Three groups of three strangers are dumped in some wilderness/tropical island area. They're given maps and are supposed to find a suitcase containing money. If one member of the group quits, the whole group is ousted. So far the groups have been burdened with a dud. A guy who's too tired. A woman who ponders whether it was a good idea to get her nails done before she signed on. Not as much as a total bore as the nekked show, but close.

Hero. This show almost defies explanation. A group of strangers are in Costa Rica (I think). A famous guy named Rock something (I think) is the host. The final goal is a million smackeroos. People are given tasks to perform. If they perform them successfully, they'll win money that goes toward a charity of the group money (not sure). All along the way Rock offers people money. If they accept, the task will be harder for the group. Most of them take the money. Then they come back and confess (the noble thing to do). Then everybody is mad. The other elements of the show are a complete mystery to me. Not exactly boring. Not exactly anything.

Exit. Too dumb to go into. I'm tired.

Siberia (the show) is not on cable. It's on NBC. A bunch of people in a wilderness. Weird and scary stuff happens. I think the whole thing is phony.

Not a sterling summer season.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 09:28 pm
@Roberta,
I was wondering why I had suddenly lost all interest in television and now I know. The idyutz "creating" this garbage are less talented than the batch from last go round. Then too, maybe they just figure it's summertime so why bother with even attempting quality.

Appreciate the reviews Roberta.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 08:21 am
@Sturgis,
This has exploded since the first "Survivor" which, in my estimation is just another one of the mindless plap. BUT, it was among the first to achieve eyes on the tube.

Now the networks have discovered the new round of mini series like "Under th Dome" which s equally mindless. even Kings book sucked a large kielbasa.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 09:33 am
@Roberta,
Fortunately, I've managed to miss all of those shows. And. given what you've said about them, I'll be sure I continue missing them.

I'm still trying to figure out why people watch At Home With the Kardashians, or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, or any of the other supposedly popular shows of that ilk.

Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:10 pm
@firefly,
FM, No question that Surviver is the mother ship on these new shows.

firefly, Even I have my limits. I know those shows exist. But I can't bring myself to watch even a promo. Along the same lines, I can't get close enough to Dance Moms to see what's going on. Or Toddlers and Tiaras (not sure about the title). Horrifying.

And who the hell are Tia and Tamara and Giuliana and Bill?

The Vast Wasteland is vaster and more of a waste.