Condemn racism, and bigotry

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:27 am
I read "everyone is a bit racist" when some people try to justify an instance of racism, and bigotry. I claim that this is not a justification at all, and that stating it is merely descriptive of how people behave, but does not address the normative issue of "how we ought to behavior". When confronted with racism, and bigotry, we ought to condemn it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,075 • Replies: 70
No top replies

Fido

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:18 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

I read "everyone is a bit racist" when some people try to justify an instance of racism, and bigotry. I claim that this is not a justification at all, and that stating it is merely descriptive of how people behave, but does not address the normative issue of "how we ought to behavior". When confronted with racism, and bigotry, we ought to condemn it.
All injustice is justified, and that is always my big clue that I might be doing something unjust, when I open my mouth to defend it... Still, I do not like every culture with equal affection, and I will not pretend to... It is not racist, and in spite of it being across the board, I would feel less than human if I did not give people an open mind in which to prove me wrong... In other words, even when I have made up my mind about a certain culture, I try to not prejudge individuals because to do so is not Justice...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:42 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

All injustice is justified, and that is always my big clue that I might be doing something unjust, when I open my mouth to defend it... Still, I do not like every culture with equal affection, and I will not pretend to... It is not racist, and in spite of it being across the board, I would feel less than human if I did not give people an open mind in which to prove me wrong... In other words, even when I have made up my mind about a certain culture, I try to not prejudge individuals because to do so is not Justice...

I don 't understand your English. Where are you from?
Fido

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:49 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Where I am from is where I am: Planet Earth... Where are you from: Uranus???
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:51 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

That is funny, if you are 12. Where is this aggression coming from?
Fido

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:13 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I hate injustice, as racism is... But that does not mean I have to like all other cultures, especially when the reason we see them in this country is because they do not stop at the destruction of their own societies and environments... I think it is just about as stupid to say you hate a race as to love a race...All relationships are individual, and people may think to exclude people by race from their relationships, but at some point, all people relate... So I take it for granted that I am already in some form of relationship with people of different cultures, and even if I may find qualities in a person's culture that I do not like, I do not try to saddle every individual with the wrongs, and failings of his culture which he may be suffering as I suffer the wrongs and failings of my own culture... It is not wrong to judge... Judgement is knowledge, and knowledge is judgement... But of individuals we should not judge, because they are infinites... Until they are dead they are all in the process of becoming, and to judge them is to wrong them...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

I hate injustice, as racism is... But that does not mean I have to like all other cultures, especially when the reason we see them in this country is because they do not stop at the destruction of their own societies and environments... I think it is just about as stupid to say you hate a race as to love a race...All relationships are individual, and people may think to exclude people by race from their relationships, but at some point, all people relate... So I take it for granted that I am already in some form of relationship with people of different cultures, and even if I may find qualities in a person's culture that I do not like, I do not try to saddle every individual with the wrongs, and failings of his culture which he may be suffering as I suffer the wrongs and failings of my own culture... It is not wrong to judge... Judgement is knowledge, and knowledge is judgement... But of individuals we should not judge, because they are infinites... Until they are dead they are all in the process of becoming, and to judge them is to wrong them...

This makes "more" coherent sense.

I think you agreed with me. You said you don 't like racism, and I share your view. I think with all the differences between people, one thing needs to be upheld, and this is the respect for human dignity, and life. We need to have empathy for other people, and at times of crisis, we are all obligated to help those in need.

Now, you also share with me something more about yourself. You said you like to judge cultures. Can you give some examples?

Fido

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:49 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I would give you an example of my judging of other cultures, but I am afraid I would leave my self open to be judged, and rather badly... In fact, though I may judge other cultures, I do so from the perspective of a culture that is far from perfect, and they never are... So, though I judge, I do not take my judgement so seriously that I actually discriminate against some one... I take people as people, as much to learn about other cultures as to avoid harsh judgements against people who hardly deserve them... There is a bit of amature anthropologist in me... Enough so I can defer absolute judgement...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:06 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

I would give you an example of my judging of other cultures, but I am afraid I would leave my self open to be judged, and rather badly... In fact, though I may judge other cultures, I do so from the perspective of a culture that is far from perfect, and they never are... So, though I judge, I do not take my judgement so seriously that I actually discriminate against some one... I take people as people, as much to learn about other cultures as to avoid harsh judgements against people who hardly deserve them... There is a bit of amature anthropologist in me... Enough so I can defer absolute judgement...

I notice that many tradition, or cultures developed out of necessity, and situation. For example, ancients franks never wish themselves, because there is a stigma to wishing oneself. This lead to the development of cologne. If you judge, it is only because you don 't understand. If you try to understand why people do what they do, then your negativity will be gone.
Fido

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:25 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Fido wrote:

I notice that many tradition, or cultures developed out of necessity, and situation. For example, ancients franks never wish themselves, because there is a stigma to wishing oneself. This lead to the development of cologne. If you judge, it is only because you don 't understand. If you try to understand why people do what they do, then your negativity will be gone.
culture is knowledge, at least that part that can be held, and transmitted from generation to generation... What people learn, and think they know is not always correct from an objective point of judgement... For example: In this country, black people have a living memory of slavery which is a part of their culture... This slave mentality makes it extremely difficult for anyone to escape both poverty or that culture... Offer a black man slave wages and he knows it, hates it, and sees no future in it... But other people come to this country and accept such wages as a way of working their way to something better, and as of today, there is no other way... So what is one going to do??? Would you simply not work out of the feeling that you were not getting your due??? We are all slaves, but not all of us have the culture of slavery preventing our progress, preventing our learning, and preventing our working for something better... So you see people who decry slavery who out of frustration and pain will make themselves slaves to drugs, or sex, or petty power... They will enslave each other if it is possible... It is hard for me to judge the people harshly when they are victims of their own culture as much a of the dominent culture...Their cultures are right about the slavery, but wrong to encourage people to resist slavery when there is no way around it, and so long as wage slavery of any sort still has some honor...The true defense of slavery is awareness of it...We cannot fix it until we all learn to work together to fix it...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:22 am
@Fido,
I think you agreed with me that we have to look at each individual, and not judge people by group stereotypes, and culture. I agree with you that some cultural traditions do have harmful economic effects on those that follow it( your example of Africans ).
vikorr

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:49 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Racism is a topic that always bemuses me, because these days it means much more than 'discrimination based on race'. To be against discrimination based on race is fine, and a good thing. To be against judgement of another culture is a nonsense that can stifle sensible and often necessary debate.

That said, it's a tough thing to separate, because discrimination based on race stems from generalisation without discernment (that the individual is not the group). Without generalisation, discernment is not needed. However, without generalisation, general problems cannot be addressed.

In relation to 'judgement', it is insanity to try and say that a person should not judge, because judgement is very much in human nature - to judge how something relates to you. We do it all the time (whether we confess to it or not), and being social creatures, it is impossible to stop. You could perhaps suppress the open expression of it through guilt (as is the current method), but that simply creates silent resentment. A better way is creating social awareness...but of course this will have a fairly limited success while cultures gather into separated enclaves (whether that be social groups within a school, or suburbs within a city etc).

The 'movement' against racism has created it's own problems by attempting to suppress 'the racists', rather than inform. Perhaps this method will work along the lines of the Nazi Germany theory that if you teach children a history, and punish anyone that says differently...then the children will grow up believing the taught history.
Fido

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 09:02 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Racism is a topic that always bemuses me, because these days it means much more than 'discrimination based on race'. To be against discrimination based on race is fine, and a good thing. To be against judgement of another culture is a nonsense that can stifle sensible and often necessary debate.

That said, it's a tough thing to separate, because discrimination based on race stems from generalisation without discernment (that the individual is not the group). Without generalisation, discernment is not needed. However, without generalisation, general problems cannot be addressed.

In relation to 'judgement', it is insanity to try and say that a person should not judge, because judgement is very much in human nature - to judge how something relates to you. We do it all the time (whether we confess to it or not), and being social creatures, it is impossible to stop. You could perhaps suppress the open expression of it through guilt (as is the current method), but that simply creates silent resentment. A better way is creating social awareness...but of course this will have a fairly limited success while cultures gather into separated enclaves (whether that be social groups within a school, or suburbs within a city etc).

The 'movement' against racism has created it's own problems by attempting to suppress 'the racists', rather than inform. Perhaps this method will work along the lines of the Nazi Germany theory that if you teach children a history, and punish anyone that says differently...then the children will grow up believing the taught history.
You can be against some facets of some cultures so long as you understand that your own culture is not an objective point from which to view other cultures, and that often you must find the logic of other cultures and beliefs in the presumption that what cultures carry is a sort of burden that no one would carry without reason and that reason is not always obvious to outsiders or even insiders... And; people have come a great distance and suffered much to come an live here, and they have something to offer, and as much as some parts of their cultures may offend or mystify, still to be human we must see the human beyond the culture...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:57 am
@Fido,
Vickorr is right in is assessment, but your insight completes and leads it into the right direction...enjoyed it Fido ! Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:21 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Condemning racism and bigotry is condemning bad thinking. Race is a concept without a referent. There is what a social anthropologist, Charles Wagley, called "social race" but not physical races (according to the physical anthropologist Ashley Montagu). The former is of interest to sociological scholars because of their social functions. The latter have no referents in the sence that genes do not organize themselves into discrete biological entities. Genes exist but not the fictive entities we call races. No races, no physical basis for racism, only sociological ones.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
The latter have no referents in the sence that genes do not organize themselves into discrete biological entities.

...no indeed...natural selection does that...so I guess that there in fact are races and species and groups and family´s and so on...now my view in defence of a common ground for peoples social relations is that diversity is actually healthy...
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:58 pm
I think this is racist.

http://www.hapblog.com/2011/03/who-hell-do-you-think-your-are.html
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:32 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
...very creative thinking you have there...
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I believe Louis Farrakhan is a racist of the most evil intent.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:09 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
I don´t know who he is nor am I interested...I only direct my comment to the content on that link...