Ephedra to be banned

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:04 pm
I lost 40 lbs. using it as indicated, not abusing it.

It gave me the energy to work out twice as hard, curbed my appetite just enough to keep my diet on track. Every few week I lay off it a little. I NEVER take more than the recommended dose, in fact usually I'm on the low end.

I'm stocking up on a lot of it, and screw the stupid regulations, and the stupid idiots who thought of 'em.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:09 pm
Or the stupid idiots that formulated it?

Doo Hoo- Iwas reading an article in a few of the American Forensic academy news (its not on line so , if ya want ill have to look up the article titles and you go to a library)
the nature of the articles were that ephedra hadnt been shown to be effective , 9whatever they meant by the studies, I dont know) However, it had been noticed that very small doses are able to jack up the heart rate and BP, so obese people with high BP, or Diabetics wishing to control weight, or power weight lifters, shouldnt reallyuse it at all, because of the(albeit small but greater than a few percent) potential for certain kinds of brain aneurisms and cardiac/ intestinal, ischemia.

There had been a number of post morts on patients that they suspected to have died of ephedra complications. The forensic academy magazine is mostly medical / trauma research for law enforcement. i use it for engineering articles.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:18 am
it's ironic, criminalizing ephedra will probably have the opposite effect as is intended. an underground market for the compound will be created and products will be offered that have higher concentrations and more risks associated with them. now we get to spend millions or maybe even billions to have the inept DEA enforce ephedra laws and put people in jail over it. too funny, i can see it now, "man busted with powdered ephedra sentenced to 20 to life." our society is so reactionary, the "sky is falling mentality" makes me laugh at all the sorry suckers out there who can't see what the REAL threats to their health are.

PH's won't be far behind.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:04 am
No. 1 industry in the USA - prisons. Contested by the illegal drug trade Cool
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:53 am
does it really follow that criminalization will follow? perhaps I hadnt thought it out past my own morbid curiosity about its sorry side effects. In one article , I saw that there were approximately 14000 negative side effect related events reported in the uS since 1997 . Most were cardiac related . 196 deaths.
Everybodys looking for a pill to supplant effort in weight loss..
seems to me that ephedra has some of the same cautions that anabolic steroids carry. Some people will sacrifice anything for excess muscle or , in this case, less fat.

Doo hoo, Im still looking for the statement that nephedra has not been shown to be effective. I havent found one other than me parroting an NPR story that was on Talk of the nation on Mon.\
so rather than underpinn that guys statememnt. I will
now accept that ephedra is an alkaloid that has the property to jack up the bodys cP system, thje side effect of this is to burn away some fat. however, in doing so, it has many unacceptible side effects, that , in combination with a body type that is unable to accomodate this chemical , can have serious health risks, apparently, even at recc dosage. i cant believe that all those 14000 people were abusers.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:12 am
Quote:
The Conference notes the current 3.5 million annual deaths from tobacco will increase to 10 million deaths by 2025 and that the epidemic is expanding especially in developing countries and amongst women.

World Conference on Tobacco Or Health
24-28 August 1997 - Beijing - China
http://10th.wctoh.org/report/resol.html

Quote:
"Approximately 7000 people die each year from drug overdose, compared to 100,000-200,000 annual deaths from alcohol and 320,000-390,000 from tobacco. However, 80% of drug deaths (5600) are due to impurities and other factors that would not be present in legal preparations. Because needle sales are banned, shared needles have become the primary mode of AIDS transmission in the U.S. (approximately 3,500 new cases/year). The turf wars over drug territory result in gang shootings in which innocents (1,600 annually) are killed. Because drug prohibition makes the price of drugs almost 100 times higher than they otherwise would be, addicts rob to support their habit, killing many of their victims in the process (about 750 each year).

"Thus, the death toll caused by the War on Drugs (5600+3500+1600+750=11,450) is about 8 times higher than it would be if drugs were legal (20% of 7000=1400/year). Since almost one out of eight people in the U.S. use illegal drugs regularly, the whole population would have to use them in a legal setting for the death toll to be as high as it is under drug prohibition.

"These estimates are consistent with the death toll per capita from drugs in Amsterdam, which does not prosecute users. Only an average of 60 people per year are killed by drugs in a population 20 times less than that of the U.S."

http://self-gov.org/liberator/v007n001.shtml

Do we really want one more on that list Question
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:20 am
Hey Bush, Ban This
Bush want's to get stupid, here's something for him.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Deaths Reported

At least 24 children in the United States have died and three have required liver transplants after receiving accidental overdoses of acetaminophen -- the most widely used medication for relief of pain and fever in children and infants. Researchers say parents should be advised about the dangers of exceeding the recommended doses of the drug, which are based on children's body weight. The report is a compilation of 55 documented cases of accidental liver toxicity in children attributed to acetaminophen given in doses above those recommended. Of the two dozen deaths, six were due to multiple acetaminophen doses slightly above weight-based recommendations.

Journal of Pediatrics January, 1998;132

COMMENT: This probably only represents a fraction of the total number of cases that have had this problem in this country. If one is going to use a drug one must be ultra cautious with it. Generally it is unwise to use Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofen to control most fevers. Suppression of the fever will limit the body's ability to fight the infection and, as stated above, can be lethal. If the person is severely uncomfortable or if the fever starts to climb above 104 then those medications should be considered along with appropriate evaluation by a knowledgeable physician.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:11 am
Look at how many people tobacco kills? Why isn't that banned?
Cerialkiller, did you write that first post, or copy it off another website I saw it at?
Farmerman, there are many, many documented studies that have been done about ephedra. I'm sure you did see something that said it wasn't effective. I know I've seen many referenced that show it is an effective weight loss tool, also. For every study "proving" one thing, there's usually another thats shows another.

I'm tossed in the air about the whole thing. While I could care less about taking it, I think the handful of people who have suffered negative effects from it was due to misuse, and that shouldn't negate the amount of people who safely use it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:36 am
I think Slappy has it right.....

and you thought all he knew was advice on matters of the heart......romantically speaking of course...
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:54 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Cerialkiller, did you write that first post, or copy it off another website I saw it at?

Copied it because I agreed with its sentiment.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:00 am
I took some ephreda this morning again....I'm itching all over....see bugs crawling across my computer screen...my beagle just told me to kill squinney and the cubs....my heart is pounding and I'm shaking all over.....but God I'm so svelt...it's
all worth it....
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think Slappy has it right.....

and you thought all he knew was advice on matters of the heart......romantically speaking of course...

Probably, eating also............... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 02:07 pm
The scare is being exaggerated *surprise surprise*
Studies done on obese women using ephedrine for fat loss purposes have used as much as 75mg of ephedrine per dose, three doses per day, over a course of 12 months without problem. Based on the plethora of studies I've seen I do doubt a] whether or not typical dosages of ephedrine really represents a severe taxation on myocardial tissues b] whether it's fact or paranoia that drives most peoples opinions in this. It's the fools with pre-existing conditions taking it, or people taking it in large doses, or combining it with things such as yohimbine that cause such an exaggerated stir. I do however think that people generally underestimate the tolerance of the heart to stress and/or stimulation. We're talking about a muscle that basically never stops working until the day you die and is put through some serious rigors by athletics, everyday life, etc.
Ironically, over time, the side effects (such as tachycardia) of ephedrine are reduced to almost baseline, while the good effects continue.

The reason the pills are being pulled is simple (imo): The War on Drugs. Ephedrine is used as a precursor for making meth, and if you make it hard for people to get the precursor in large quantities... well, I'm sure you can follow the logic...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 02:14 pm
Hi, wenchilina. Always nice to see your knowledge and sensible views posted on topics like this.

(hope to see you in the New Year)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:46 pm
I appreciate your input too, wenchi (not to be too familiar, but seems a nice shortening), very useful.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 08:44 pm
One of the sponsor sites (I think you call them that) here at the old a2k was already advertizing how, you too could sue if you had taken ephedra.
Ah, litigious action always makes me hungry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:06 pm
well hell ceilli, have one of my maxadrine...that'll take care of that hungry feeling....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:24 am
despite clear scientific evidence to the contrary, people will continue in risky behaviors. Im not one to judge, but I think 14000+ incidents and 196 actual deaths (that can be verified) is not paranoia or "exaggeration" .
I respect evidence in matters like this , so those who wish to continue using ephedra can be comforted in the knowledge that its merely a statistical game. You may be one of those whose physiology can tolerate these classes of alkaloids. then again you may be one of those who, unannouced, can suffer severe reactions one day out of the blue.
Perhaps the fact that ones body accomodates to a certain dosge is why some folks take to jacking up their pills, until they reach a critical level.

losing weight takes discipline and time. Apparently we, as a society need to short circuit the process.
I dont like stuff that (like the Atkins diet) requires your body to enter a diabetes like state in order to drop some weight. Also, when a chemical(like ephedra) shows , clearly , the side effects that can range anywhere from rapid pulse to arrhthmia and even heart attacks , well , I wouldnt rationalize that its just hysteria on behalf of a govt administration theyve been tring to limit this stuffs use since 1995.
Why not just take up Rugby, its just as insane and there are no chemical side effects.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:33 am
Weight loss and staying fit are enhanced by ephreda if you're smart about it.

People who depend on ephreda or any other drug to make them lose weight are fooling themselves, but it is a tool to be combined with exercise and diet modification.

When I was taking ephreda two pills twice a day it happened to fall into the time when I have my yearly. My heart was, as always exceptionally strong for a man my age despite a history of high cholesterol which has come down from 383 to 200.

Bloodwork and liver panels just right, and I told the doctor to check for any problems that might be associated with the ephreda.

My doctor, who is very thorough told me not to make a daily habit of it, but with short term usage on occasion and not overdoing it I had received very positive results from it.

I run every day and have modified my lifestyle with great results, but the ephreda helped get me off my ass to do it. Now I'm in the habit. I got a little indulgent over the holidays and put 6 lbs. back on, so I'm taking it again for a few weeks to help me give myself the extra push to stay consistent with my goals.

I just don't see the harm, or why a few idiots should spoil that for me. I am truly sorry some people died, but 196 people is a pretty small statisitic compared to the people cigarettes and alcohol kill every day.

GWB has sent more young people to their deaths this year than ephreda. Let's ban him.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:39 am
farmerman wrote:
despite clear scientific evidence to the contrary, people will continue in risky behaviors. Im not one to judge, but I think 14000+ incidents and 196 actual deaths (that can be verified) is not paranoia or "exaggeration"

It must be the American way to maintain selection bias in their opinions of pharmaceuticals. Here's a little bedtime reading that shows it is very safe when used properly (the last one is very interesting... study done on rats showing that ephedrine made them live longer *LOL*... BY THE GOVERNMENT!!).... indeed people died last year from ephedrine in the States... majority of them mixed it with other drugs... an estimated 200 million doses were taken in that year... 400 people died from ibuprofen (Advil) in the same year...

Chen KK, Schmidt CF. Ephedrine and related substances. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930.

Weiner M. Weiner's Herbal: The Guide to Herb Medicine. Mill Valley, CA, Quantum Books, 1990.

Mahdihassan S, Mehdi FS. Soma of the Rigveda and an attempt to identify it. Amrerican Journal of Chinese Medicine 17(1-2): 1-8, 1989.

Astrup A, Buemann B, Christensen NJ, Toubro S, Thorbek G, Victor OJ, Quaade F. The effect of ephedrine/caffeine mixture on energy expenditure and body composition in obese women. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental. 41(7): 686-688, 1992.

Breum L, Pederson JK, Ahlstrom F, Frimodt-Moller. Comparison of an ephedrine/caffeine combination and dexfenfluramine in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind multi-center trial in general practice. International Journal of Obesity 18: 99-103, 1994.

Astrup A, Breum L, Toubro S, Hein P, Quaade F. The effect and safety of an ephedrine/caffeine compound compared to ephedrine, caffeine and placebo in obese subjects on an energy restricted diet. A double blind trial. International Journal of Obesity 16(4): 269-77, 1992.

Dulloo AG, Miller DS. The Thermogenic Properties of Ephedrine /Methylxanthine Mixtures: Human Studies. International Journal of Obesity 10: 467-481, 1986.

Astrup A, Toubro S, Christensen NJ, Quaade F. Pharmacology of thermogenic drugs. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 55(1 Supplement): 246S-248S, 1992.

Astrup A, Toubro S. Thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular responses to ephedrine and caffeine in man. International Journal of Obesity 17 Supplement 1: S41-S43, 1993.

Astrup A, Lundsgaard C, Madsen J, Christensen NJ. Enhanced thermogenic respo nsiveness during chronic ephedrine treatment in man. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 42: 83-94, 1985.

Dulloo AG, Miller DS. The Thermogenic Properties of Ephedrine /Methylxanthine Mixtures: Human Studies. International Journal of Obesity 10: 467-481, 1986.

Horton TJ, Geissler CA. Aspirin potentiates the effect of ephedrine on the thermogenic response to a meal in obese but not lean women. International Journal of Obesity 15(5): 359-366, 1991.

Buemann B, Marckmann P, Christensen NJ, Astrup A. The effect of ephedrine plus caffeine on plasma lipids and lipoproteins during a 4.2 MJ/day diet. International Journal of Obesity 18: 329-332, 1994.

Astrup A, Toubro S, Cannon S, Hein P, Madsen J. Thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular effects of a sympathomimetic agent, ephedrine. Current Therapeutic Research, 48(6): 1087-1100, 1990.

Astrup A, Toubro S, Christensen NJ, Quaade F. Pharmacology of thermogenic drugs. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 55(1 Supplement): 246S-248S, 1992.

Nishikawa T, Kimura T, Taguchi N, Dohi S. Oral clonidine preanesthetic medication augments the pressor responses to intravenous ephedrine in awake or anesthetized patients. Anesthesiology 74(4): 705-710, 1991.

Dullo AG, Seydoux J, Girardier L. Tealine and thermogenesis: Interactions between polyphenols, caffeine and sympathetic activity. International Journal of Obesity, May 1996, 20(Supplement 4):71 (abstract 08-178-WA1).

NTP technical report on the toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of ephedrine sulfate (CAS no. 134-72-5) in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice (feed studies) National Toxicology Program. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health; Springfield, VA. Series title: NIH publication; no. 86-2563. Series title: Technical report series (National Toxicology Program (U.S.)); no. 307, 1986. (This NTP Technical Report 307 can be obtained by calling The National Toxicology Program @ (919) 541 -3419.)

Quote:
You may be one of those whose physiology can tolerate these classes of alkaloids. then again you may be one of those who, unannouced, can suffer severe reactions one day out of the blue.
Perhaps the fact that ones body accomodates to a certain dosge is why some folks take to jacking up their pills, until they reach a critical level.

That is why the bottles are regulated via the FDA with this ... C.01.025. Both the inner and the outer labels of a drug that carry a recommended single or daily dosage or a statement of concentration in excess of the limits provided by C.01.021 shall carry a caution that the product is to be used only on the advice of a physician.

Quote:
losing weight takes discipline and time. Apparently we, as a society need to short circuit the process.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's seems a societal issue that people would prefer to have a magic bullet they can pop to make all their woes go away instead of having to expend some good old fashioned willpower.

Quote:
Also, when a chemical(like ephedra) shows , clearly , the side effects that can range anywhere from rapid pulse to arrhthmia and even heart attacks , well , I wouldnt rationalize that its just hysteria on behalf of a govt administration theyve been tring to limit this stuffs use since 1995.

Just as equally one could say an excess of anything would heighten the risk of death or failure of internal organs or secondary effects. Even secondary drowning is possible from drinking too much water. I work in pharmaceuticals. I don't mind people opting to err on the side of caution, but I do want them to atleast specifically state that instead of inappropriately blaming a drug. It's not too much to ask that others educate themselves prior to popping *any* pill. Plenty of good to outweigh the bad in this case - promoting safe use versus banning. Very Happy
0 Replies