Approximately 1000 NY state workers paid more than Gov. Cuomo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 09:59 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/18/2011-03-18_1000_state_workers_earn_more_than_gov.html

Quote:

ALBANY - Being governor may be the top gig in state government, but it certainly doesn't pay that way.

Nearly 1,000 state employees made more than the governor's $179,000 salary last year, the Empire Center for New York State Policy found.

"As a taxpayer, I'd be interested in less people making more than my governor, not more," said Empire Center director Tim Hoefer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/18/2011-03-18_1000_state_workers_earn_more_than_gov.html#ixzz1Gy1fhXGI

I mean, at some point, even the fat cats and dem bosses are gonna get pissed at this stuff....

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:02 am
cuomo is half a retard, if he gets paid at all it's too much
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:14 am
Silly.
Was George Bush the highest paid Federal official on the day he took office? How about on the day he left?

Only fat-cat CFOs think that they should be the highest paid creature in their organization, so they make sure that their compensation board rubberstamps that conceit. (Yea! They get named MVP every year, even when the corporation is tanking.)

Governments, despite the bizarrely earnest rantings of the Right, are not, and should not be, run like corporations.

Joe(Governments are supposed to be vehicles for the progress of a Nation )Nation
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:50 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
cuomo is half a retard, if he gets paid at all it's too much

I wonder how much he made when he was attorney general. While in that position, he said some mean things about that NY school superintendent who makes more than $500K, even joking that he decided to run for governor at $179K only after applying for her job and being turned down.

Doesn't he realize how much harder it is to appease the parents of 6,000 kids than to run a state of 20 million? No-brainer.
roger

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
@Irishk,
Really, it's a matter of supply and demand. Too many people want the power wielded by the governor's office, so the price drops. Likewise, if too many people want to become, say teachers the price drops. I think N. Mexico's state representatives are still unsalaried, but they spend bundles getting elected. I dunno, maybe they have real good expense accounts.
Irishk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:11 pm
@roger,
I didn't know that about New Mexico. I wonder if any other states do that. I'll have to Bing it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
@gungasnake,
This is pathetic.

The guy heads a department of neurosurgery at a large university. How much would you expect him to be paid?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:25 pm
@maxdancona,
I didn't say one guy, I said around 1000 people.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:29 am
@gungasnake,
Fine,

The three examples in this rather ridiculous article were a college basketball coach, and the heads of a prestigious engineer program and neurology program at a large University.

The basketball coach is a little tricky tricky because college basketball programs are very profitable. They bring in far more money then they cost. Paying for a winning basketball coach is a good investment rather than a waste of taxpayer dollars. This salary is not out of line with similar positions at private institutions.

So let's consider the Department of Neurology and the director of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering.

Let me ask again, how much do you think these gentlemen should be paid? (I would think their salaries should be equivalent to what they could make in private Universities).

If you want to list any more of the 1000 state workers you refer to then we can look to see if they are any less reasonable.

Paying top talent for positions that require it is not unreasonable.

I am sure that you would accept the position of the head of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering for less money if they offered it to you. But they want you. The state has to pay for the talent they are looking for.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:50 pm
This thread is an example of many things amongst which is the weird duality of conservative thinking : they insist they want good government while also insisting they will not pay for good government.

Joe(Send in the RED QUEEN)Nation
0 Replies