military action against Libya

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 05:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
One of the big frustrations is that journalists incredibly (given their exposure to wars) seem to know almost nothing about operational doctrines. You can wait in vain for any direct, clear statement which approximates a description of actual operations. For example, people were saying right away that Canadian fighers were involved in the no-fly zone operation, and i'm thinking to myseld: "That can't be right, they can't even have gotten to Spain yet." Then yesterday, they're reporting that the Canadians were involved in operations, and i'm thinking: "Wait, have they even gotten to Sicily yet? Have they unloaded and unpacked the F18s?" Today, a Canadian Forces spokesman said that the Canadian contingent was set up in Italy and now would[/i] be taking part in operations. The press had them in the air about 36 hours before they possibly could have been.

I suspect that it will months or even years before we can get any reliable information on MI6 and SAS operations. Oh, what you've read could be true--but the accounts of the press are not to be relied on. With the best will in the world, "The first casualty of war is the truth."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 05:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

[The US has been crystal clear about both the fact that we want the regime to go, but that the resolution does not grant the mandate to do so militarily:

Quote:
"Now, I also have stated that it is U.S. policy that Gadhafi needs to go."
But Obama said he's still hopeful that other "tools" the administration has used, such as freezing billions in Libyan assets, will eventually help the Libyan people push Gadhafi out.

Obama's comments show the delicate balancing act facing the administration as he tries to adhere to the tight U.N. mandate while knowing the mission is unlikely to be seen as a true success around the world unless Gadhafi goes.
"There are a whole range of policies that we are putting in place that have created one of the most powerful international consensuses around the isolation of Mr. Gadhafi and we will continue to pursue those," Obama said. "But when it comes to the military action, we are doing so in support of U.N. Resolution 1973 that specifically talks about humanitarian efforts, and we are going to make sure we stick to that mandate."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/21/obama.gadhafi/

Please explain in practical military terms what might be the difference between an operation designed to remove Ghadaffi's ability or inclination to fight back against the rebels who appear determined to remove him, and one designed to remove him from power.

This is an abstract theoretical distinction that goes more to the intentions of those involved than it does to what they might actually do. Neither option involves the necessity of staying around for nation building. That such a distinction figures so prominently in the actions of the participation is itself a demonstration of their lack of resolve and unreliability.

Arguing that the participation of other nations isn't required militarily, but rather that they are required for political cover is fatuous. As long as our military, our committment and the lives of our soldiers are an indispensable requirement the solution then what conceivable benefit are we getting for surrendering our sovereignty to the international community?

I am simply arguing that we cannot safely rely on the international community and that history very strongly suggests that condition isn't about to change anyutime soon. Further, the notion that pretending that this illusion is real is going to make it real is quite absurd.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 05:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Also my opinion (nothing that can be proved, only debated at this point) is that we will take actions that help the rebels without helping civilians and that we will use "helping civilians" as a fig leaf to disguise our real objectives.

I'd be willing to stipulate that.

Quote:
Attacking Gadaffi's compound does not help civilians directly, but taking out Gaddafi sure does support the rebel war effort.

I'm sure it warms the cockles of the hearts of allied pilots to bomg the son-of-a-bitch, but i suspect Kadaffi hasn't been in that compound for a week or more. Attacking his compound has a military value because it is a command and control center.

Quote:
My point with the analogy is only that France wanted to stick it to England and they were upfront about it. They didn't say "oh we must protect the innocents of America", they just said here's an opportunity to screw the British, let's do it.

I've got no problem with that.

Quote:
I'm just saying if that's what the UN wants to do, then say it: we hate Gaddafi and he's a blight on the world so we're supporting the rebels.

Such candor would be refreshing. However, it is in the nature of international diplomacy to resort to fig leaves.

Quote:
True. Our actions will speak for themselves eventually. I'm expressing my opinion of where the chips will land.

Actually, i have more of a problem with Mr. Obama's remarks than i do with anyone else. If he really believes that "can't stand idly by" BS, then he's naïve; if he knows better, he's being disgustingly cynical, and could have found a better line to peddle.

I only referred to Rwanda because CBC had interviewed Romeo Dellaire, and it was an example of an observer who is convinced of the argument about the need to protect civilians--his point of view is understandable, given his experiences.

The English have reason enough to hold a grudge against Got-Daffy, because of Lockerbie, and because, before they got smart and moved to Canada and the United States, anti-Kadaffi Libyans congregated in London, where many of them were assassinated. The Brits really did not care for that. As for France, the Libyans targeted them after their humiliation in the Toyota War, and all they had really done was a "hold your coat" operation. The French, when it comes to international relations, are not a forgiving nation, and the more so as they've done so much for Africa in general since giving up their colonies. I'd say both of those nations are eager to get at that goofy bastard.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:02 pm
NPR is reporting that protesters in Bahrain are angry with the United States because of the death and destruction in their country last week (seven dead, hundreds wounded).
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:22 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

NPR is reporting that protesters in Bahrain are angry with the United States because of the death and destruction in their country last week (seven dead, hundreds wounded).

Damned no matter what we do. Gotta love it.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't think they're justified to blame the United States, but their anger and frustration are justified. Why does the UN care about Libyans,
but not Bahrainis?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
That's the problem with the US getting involved anywhere in the Middle East. It's a loss-loss choice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't think they're justified to blame the United States, but their anger and frustration are justified. Why does the UN care about Libyans,
but not Bahrainis?

Libya, as you pointed out, has made too many enemies of powerful nations over the years.

But, I'm not surprised that some of them are mad, at all. I just think of the variety of opinion we have within this country on political topics, both domestic and foreign. And it's gotta be the same elsewhere; so there's going to be people pissed if we do invade and people pissed if we don't. We're either uncaring isolationists or meddling imperialists.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:40 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Please explain in practical military terms what might be the difference between an operation designed to remove Ghadaffi's ability or inclination to fight back against the rebels who appear determined to remove him, and one designed to remove him from power.

An easy one is that Gaddafi can't be assassinated in the former. If Gaddafi actually accepts a cease fire the mandate ends in the former. In the latter, he could be assassinated and even if he stopped attacking there could be a mandate to attack him.

Quote:
Neither option involves the necessity of staying around for nation building. That such a distinction figures so prominently in the actions of the participation is itself a demonstration of their lack of resolve and unreliability.

I think the biggest reason there is little appetite for this is because the Libyan rebels explicitly said they will not accept our help nation building (they currently are still saying they want no ground troops at all) and only accepted our involvement in the air when they felt existentially threatened.

Quote:
Arguing that the participation of other nations isn't required militarily, but rather that they are required for political cover is fatuous. As long as our military, our committment and the lives of our soldiers are an indispensable requirement the solution then what conceivable benefit are we getting for surrendering our sovereignty to the international community?

I think you are mixing two issues I was talking about. In regard to the Libyan war I was saying that the participation of Arab countries was a requirement from the west for political but not strategic reasons.

But as to surrendering some sovereignty (not all) to institutions such as the UN and ICC the benefit would be more international rule of law.

A simple example is that only recently did R2P become an international norm, before this there would be no legal basis for many humanitarian interventions but it is only a recent legal concept because it takes a bit of sovereignty away (namely that of being able to murder your own people in your own country without outside interference).

I support ceding some sovereignty to real rule of law. I support legal instruments that would make this kind of intervention faster (the delay largely owed to the time it took to negotiate a consensus in this rather murky area of international law).

So in short, justice is the tradeoff. We'd trade some of our power to act unilaterally for better international legal instruments. Right now we play world cop as a vigilante, and I want to restrain us only slightly through rule of law.

So for example, I want the security council expanded to include BRIC nations with no veto in the SC, and I want the US to be party to the ICC. These are things I think would not infringe too much on our sovereignty but would strengthen the instituions the international community can use to police itself.

Quote:
I am simply arguing that we cannot safely rely on the international community and that history very strongly suggests that condition isn't about to change anyutime soon.

I'm not sure why it would mean we would need to "rely" on them. We'd still maintain the capability to defend ourselves and the right to. As an example, I'd love to hear what you think the downside of us fully supporting the ICC would be.

Quote:
Further, the notion that pretending that this illusion is real is going to make it real is quite absurd.

I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other, the whole world (including the superpowers) recognizes the need for reforming the international institutions but the powers that be have qualms about ceding military power and increasing the political power of weaker nations.

The current powers are not going to be the powers forever (there is a fundamental shift in power happening from West to East for one), and when we aren't the top dog things like rule of law will mean more to us than it does now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Two different republican congressmen made contradictory statements about Obama's choice to get involved in the no fly zone; one said Obama acted too soon, and the other said too slow.

That's what happens when all they want to do is disagree with everything Obama does.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:47 pm
The Europeans are not feuding to take control.

Quote:
Allies Attack Targets in Tripoli as Europeans Feud Over Leadership
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK AND KAREEM FAHIM
Published: March 21, 2011

TRIPOLI, Libya — Explosions and anti-aircraft fire could be heard in and around Tripoli Monday in a third straight night of attacks there against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s forces, while European nations feuded over who should take command of the no-fly zone. On the ground in Libya, pro-Qaddafi forces were holding out against the allied campaign and an amateurish rebel counterattack.

Tracer bullets fired from anti-aircraft guns left light trails in the sky above the Libyan capital on Monday night.

Pentagon officials said there were fewer American and coalition airstrikes in Libya Sunday night and Monday, and that the number was likely to decline further in coming days. But Gen. Carter F. Ham, the head of United States Africa Command, who is in charge of the coalition effort, said there would be coalition airstrikes on Colonel Qaddafi’s mobile air defenses and that some 80 sorties — only half of them by the United States — had been flown on Monday.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
but not Bahrainis?

Because the US values the 5th fleet base in Bahrain more than their freedom and doesn't want regime change there, goes the argument. They argue, with some degree of merit, that we are putting our own strategic interests in maintaining that base above their aspirations for freedom.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Agreed . . . and then there's the light, sweet crude in all of the Persian Gulf states . . .
Irishk

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:02 pm
@Setanta,
True.

Not a peep about suspending them from the UN's Human Rights Council, though...and it is the royal regime who is responsible for the dead and wounded. Also, nothing I can find from the other 21 nations of the Arab League, of which they're a member.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Setanta wrote:
but not Bahrainis?

Because the US values the 5th fleet base in Bahrain more than their freedom and doesn't want regime change there, goes the argument. They argue, with some degree of merit, that we are putting our own strategic interests in maintaining that base above their aspirations for freedom.

I don't see the merits of their argument. The only way we could get the Saudis to leave would be to send our own troops in on the ground and go to war with Saudi Arabia -- and we'd be doing it without any approval from either the Arab League or the UN Security Council.

I hope they didn't expect that we'd do that.
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
I dont know if its that clear cut for Bahrain . Isn't the disagreement more between Sunnis and Shi'ites rather than people versus dictator ?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:10 am

Joe Biden: ‘Framers Intended to Grant Congress Power to Initiate All Hostilities, Even Limited Wars’

Dem Rep. Dennis Kucinich Uses Obama’s Own Anti-War Words From the Bush-Era to Attack His Hypocrisy…

Dem. Rep. Kucinich Throws Obama’s Own Anti-War Words Back at Him
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:31 am
@Ionus,
No. The majority of the population are Shi'ite and the monarchy is Sunni, but Sunni religio-politcal parties have also been calling for reform. Since 1994, a coalition of liberals, leftists and both Sunni and Shi'ite islamists have called for governmental reform, democracy, equality of rights for all citizens (the primary concern of Shi'ites) and in the case of some extremists, an end to the monarchy. The current round of protests seem to have been sparked by events in Tunesia and Egypt.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:07 am
By the way, the bruhaha in Bahrain is over religiously motivated complaints about social issues. The Shi'ites want to ban lingerie displays in shop windows, to ban putting underwear out to dry on clothes lines, to introduce religiously correct dress codes at the university, and in the most extreme case, to prohibit windows which allow people to see the street from inside their houses. In this, they get some support from Sunni extremists. Sunni support for the Shi'ite agenda is neutralized by the structure of the political districts which assure that neither Sunni fundamentalists nor Shi'ites get a majority in any district. The Shi'ites are about three quarters of the population, so they cannot be excluded altogether, but they have only 18 seats in the 40 member lower house, which doesn't even come close to democratic representation.

My earlier comments about Shi'ites and Sunnis in Bahrain were references to why the Saudis would be willing to intervene. The Saudi government can intervene to assure "stability" in the region, and they can justify to this their people by pointing out that Bahrain has a majority Shi'ite population. People will accept such simplistic explanations. The situation on the ground isn't so simple, though, because a significant minority of the Sunni minority in Bahrain support the Shi'ite social reform program.
Irishk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:28 am
American War Plane Crashes in Libya

Quote:
An American F-15E fighter jet crashed in Libya overnight and one crew member has been recovered while the other is “in the process of recovery,” according to a spokesman for the American military’s Africa Command and a British reporter who saw the wreckage.

The crash was likely caused by mechanical failure and not hostile fire, the spokesman, Vince Crawley, told Reuters. Details of the incident remained sparse. The crash was the first known setback for the international coalition attacking Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s forces in three days of strikes authorized by the United Nations Security Council…

United States military commanders repeated throughout the day that they were not communicating with Libyan rebels, even as a spokesman for the rebel military, Khaled El-Sayeh, asserted that rebel officers had been providing the allies with coordinates for their airstrikes. “We give them the coordinates, and we give them the location that needs to be bombed,” Mr. Sayeh told reporters.

Do most of our fighter jets carry two pilots?