military action against Libya

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Perhaps, but as i remarked to Walter, that's how these things are done. Of course, we don't have aircraft involved, so, yeah, it would not make much sense for American special forces to be there.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I have read confirmed reports of SAS insertion in Libya (remember the botched insertion weeks before the war started? I recall the UK confirming the attempt to have SAS reach the rebels after they were detained by the rebels themselves) and that "dozens" are working to spot and mark for the RAF.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
We provide the US Air Force airplane control and warning systems. Our son was a weapon's officer during the first Gulf War. They knew where all the planes were in Iraq.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your argument is a case of begging the question because your premise assumes the conclusion at which you intend to arrive. It can just as easily be said that we are protecting Libyan civilians because we don't like Kadaffi. When you state that "we are helping the rebels," you assume your own conclusion without having demonstrated it.

You have a point that to a certain extent helping civilians is helping the rebels since preventing military action by either side helps both right now. If the rebels were winning and engaged in bombarding Tripoli, I don't think we'd be doing anything but urging Gaddafi to surrender, but that is my opinion. Also my opinion (nothing that can be proved, only debated at this point) is that we will take actions that help the rebels without helping civilians and that we will use "helping civilians" as a fig leaf to disguise our real objectives. Attacking Gadaffi's compound does not help civilians directly, but taking out Gaddafi sure does support the rebel war effort.
Setanta wrote:
Now, to dispense with the silly analogy about France aiding Americans in their revolution

My point with the analogy is only that France wanted to stick it to England and they were upfront about it. They didn't say "oh we must protect the innocents of America", they just said here's an opportunity to screw the British, let's do it. You can pick a similar case of foreign intervention if that one offends. I'm just saying if that's what the UN wants to do, then say it: we hate Gaddafi and he's a blight on the world so we're supporting the rebels. Don't go around saying the UN protects oppressed civilians in time of need because they certainly haven't in the past and won't again. The whole wrapping yourself in a moral banner to prevent criticism stinks as much now as it did in Iraq. Russia claimed the whole "saving civilians" when they stormed into Georgia a few years ago. Did anyone believe them?
Setanta wrote:
Whether or not you agree that it is the case, the overt reason (at least) for the UN resolution is to protect Libyan citizens from their own government. I did not allege nobility on anyone's part, and of course, i was sufficiently honest to point out the inferential hypocrisy. That you think we are taking sides in a civil war you have made abundantly clear--as i've pointed out at least twice now, i don't say you're wrong, i say you haven't made your case. ...

If stopping war means taking military actions which benefit the rebels, how is that evidence that the purpose of these missions is to choose sides in a civil war? You admit the ambiguity yourself.

True. Our actions will speak for themselves eventually. I'm expressing my opinion of where the chips will land.
Setanta wrote:
I can't at all argue that posing as noble saviors of the Libyan people would be a disgusting exercise. But i don't recall that anyone is doing that, unless you refer to Mr. Obama's "we can't stand idly by" statement about Libyans being killed by their own government.
Yes, I refer to that, to comparisons between Rwanda and Libya, to Kerry's remarks about this being a "humanitian effort", etc.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@Setanta,
Unfortunately, a significant portion of the world doesn't seem to understand the basics of how these things are done (e.g. the Arab League's prevarication on the no-fly zone exposed a fundamental lack of understanding about how anti-septic such an act can be) and are expecting something cleaner.

Note: I have read unconfirmed reports of special forces from other nations operating with the SAS, so you may be right about the French but I can't find anything more than vague rumors right now.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:12 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
If the rebels were winning and engaged in bombarding Tripoli, I don't think we'd be doing anything but urging Gaddafi to surrender, but that is my opinion.

I think it's well supported by the facts so far. Yesterday the rebels launched an offensive against the regime, and we aren't bombing them as they advance their troops on the regime's positions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Be assured that it was the SBS (with one or two SAS soldiers). Not only because of this tv-report
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Norway is suspending its participation in military operations in Libya, and Italy says that Italian planes will not shoot in Libya, too.
Irishk

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:37 pm
I read earlier today that Turkey is trying to block NATO from participating.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you have any information on what may have motivated these sudden reversals?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:45 pm
@georgeob1,
It's about NATO command ... and the French, who want to be first in command.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:46 pm
@georgeob1,
I bet it's at least partly motivated by the fact that the UK has already made clear that they don't really feel constrained to the limited goals of the resolution. Gates has already criticized their comments and the danger it has to the coalition that has been made. In short, the coalition approved ending this conflict, not escalating it, and it seems clear that the UK is willing to escalate and this makes their partners nervous as that is simply not what they agreed to.

Quote:
Q: Mr. Secretary, can I ask – your British counterparts in London today has said that he thinks the operation should include the possibility the dropping of a bomb on Mr. Gadhafi himself in order to make sure that the regime is overturned. Would you support that?
SEC. GATES: Well, I think that it’s important that we operate within the mandate of the U.N. Security Council resolution. This is a very diverse coalition and the one thing that there is common agreement on are the terms set forth in the Security Council resolution. If we start adding additional objectives, then I think we create a problem in that respect. I also think that it is unwise to set as specific goals, things that you may or may not be able to achieve.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100080619/target-gaddafi-britain-says-maybe-the-us-says-no/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:56 pm
So much for the reliability of the much esteemed "International Community".
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:06 pm
@georgeob1,
You really dislike the "international community" don't you? I don't see how this indicts the concept of multi-lateralism the way you seem to because I see it largely motivated by certain countries (the UK and France) pushing the boundaries of multi-lateralism by flouting the spirit of the agreement the community had in place.

If the UK wants regime change they should have argued for it, instead they ask for a limited humanitarian mission when it's clear they have no intent to prosecute it that way. It shouldn't be surprising that when the basis of the multi-lateralism is flouted the agreements begin to fray.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't dislike it, I just think that the assumption that it can achieve consensus about anything important, and, even more to the point, remain cohesive in the face of even small, easily anticipated, difficulties is extremely remote. In short it isn't anything serious people should ever rely on.

Please recall the naive, pompous posturing in the early pages of these threads about the ascendent arousal of the "international community" to support the Arab awakening. It hasn't even survied a week's worth of minor difficulties.

My strong impression is that the governments of both France and the UK have been fairly consistent about their goals in Libya from the start. Moreover the sainted Obama has endorsed their goals (the removal of Ghadaffi) as well. I don't think anyone can truthfully claim to have been deceived or that their earlier agreements have been breeched.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:31 pm
An interesting side note (at least in my opinion): Switzerland has allowed 20 British military vehicles to pass through its territory, part of operations against Libya, the government said Monday. Source: The Federal Council/The Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport (in German only)
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't dislike it, I just think that the assumption that it can achieve consensus about anything important, and, even more to the point, remain cohesive in the face of even small, easily anticipated, difficulties is extremely remote. In short it isn't anything serious people should ever rely on.

I disagree that it is incapable of what you say it is, but more importantly I really don't think that you'd accept multi-lateralism if it were. I think your fundamental objection to multi-lateralism is the multi-lateralism itself because of how it infringes on superior US military power.

Of course, I may be wrong but it really does seem like you don't want the international community to gain the reliability anyway because the only way to do so would represent a reduction in the power and influence of the US.

Quote:
Please recall the naive, pompous posturing in the early pages of these threads about the ascendent arousal of the "international community" to support the Arab awakening. It hasn't even survied a week's worth of minor difficulties.

I disagree with both the characterization of pomposity to it as well as the notion that it hasn't survived. Disagreement has been voiced but that is hardly lack of survival.

Quote:
My strong impression is that the governments of both France and the UK have been fairly consistent about their goals in Libya from the start.

Sure, but the agreements they signed onto are not consistent with their goals. This is the core problem, in my opinion, getting people to agree to something much less than what you intend.

Quote:
Moreover the sainted Obama has endorsed their goals (the removal of Ghadaffi) as well. I don't think anyone can truthfully claim to have been deceived or that their earlier agreements have been breeched.

The US has been clear that we want Gaddafi to go, but we have also been clear that we do not see this resolution as authorizing military intervention to do so while the UK seems more willing to ignore that it clearly doesn't (their argument is essentially: "killing Gaddafi protects civilians" ).

Even as the bombs fell the French are claiming that Gaddafi has a diplomatic out if he stops attacking civilians.

You are conflating their public calls for regime change to the current dispute over what the purpose of this resolution is. The resolution is as clearly against regime change as it can be but the UK is trying to make regime change happen as a "side effect" in a very duplicitous way.

Consensus frays when it's based on deception. But you fault the consensus instead of the deception.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ah the brave nobility of the Swiss !
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I disagree that it is incapable of what you say it is, but more importantly I really don't think that you'd accept multi-lateralism if it were. I think your fundamental objection to multi-lateralism is the multi-lateralism itself because of how it infringes on superior US military power.

Of course, I may be wrong but it really does seem like you don't want the international community to gain the reliability anyway because the only way to do so would represent a reduction in the power and influence of the US.

You are extrapolating on a surmise that goes way beyond anything I wrote and, in addition, conflating cause and effect. I support U.S. sovereign independence precisely because the existence of a reliable "international community" is itself an illusion - even if we are able to deceive ourselves into thinking it might value our interests at all.

Even Gulliver decided the Liliputians didn't really have his interests at heart.

Robert Gentel wrote:

I disagree with both the characterization of pomposity to it as well as the notion that it hasn't survived. Disagreement has been voiced but that is hardly lack of survival.
OK, change pompous to wildly over confident and optomistic. Read the posts - you will see.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
My strong impression is that the governments of both France and the UK have been fairly consistent about their goals in Libya from the start.

Sure, but the agreements they signed onto are not consistent with their goals. This is the core problem, in my opinion, getting people to agree to something much less than what you intend.
It is the same after the fact quibbling we have all seen before. It is just an excuse for backing out when the going gets tough by the timid and irresponsible. Indeed this is precisely why such International Community efforts are unrelaible and untrustworthy.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Moreover the sainted Obama has endorsed their goals (the removal of Ghadaffi) as well. I don't think anyone can truthfully claim to have been deceived or that their earlier agreements have been breeched.

The US has been clear that we want Gaddafi to go, but we have also been clear that we do not see this resolution as authorizing military intervention to do so while the UK seems more willing to ignore that it clearly doesn't (their argument is essentially: "killing Gaddafi protects civilians" ).
Our words and actions have been anything but clear. Instead Obama has been very clear that he is trying to create the illusion of cooperation and committment while providing himself a quick escape and rationalization if things go wrong.

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
You are extrapolating on a surmise that goes way beyond anything I wrote and, in addition, conflating cause and effect. I support U.S. sovereign independence precisely because the existence of a reliable "international community" is itself an illusion - even if we are able to deceive ourselves into thinking it might value our interests at all.

Even Gulliver decided the Liliputians didn't really have his interests at heart.

I know I am extrapolating, but you really do seem to oppose the reforms that would improve how things work. For example, if the security council weren't stuck in 1945 it would be more useful, but I bet you oppose the reforms that would make it more useful (e.g. letting the BRIC nations in as permanent members and eliminating the veto). Also, things like the ICC and any attempt to actually consolidate authority internationally.

Anyway, from years of seeing you talk about it, I think that you wouldn't support vesting rule of law internationally even if it did work due to things like thinking it is not in the interests of "Guliver" (US) to let the rest of the world's "Lilliputians" have more say.

Quote:
It is the same after the fact quibbling we have all seen before. It is just an excuse for backing out when the going gets tough by the timid and irresponsible. Indeed this is precisely why such International Community efforts are unrelaible and untrustworthy.

I don't think it's quibbling to sign up for a humanitarian mission and get cold feet when it starts looking more like nation building, they are very different missions. And I also don't think that these differences of opinion are as big a deal as you seem to. The people pushing for this are still in it, those they tried to drag along are less enthusiastic but I don't see that as being as big a problem as you do. They aren't needed militarily, they are needed politically. You reject them politically almost out of hand, so I don't get why you care.

We got the resolution we wanted, and any of their participation in the military strategy is politically motivated and for appearances.

Quote:
Our words and actions have been anything but clear. Instead Obama has been very clear that he is trying to create the illusion of cooperation and committment while providing himself a quick escape and rationalization if things go wrong.

The US has been crystal clear about both the fact that we want the regime to go, but that the resolution does not grant the mandate to do so militarily:

Quote:
"Now, I also have stated that it is U.S. policy that Gadhafi needs to go."
But Obama said he's still hopeful that other "tools" the administration has used, such as freezing billions in Libyan assets, will eventually help the Libyan people push Gadhafi out.

Obama's comments show the delicate balancing act facing the administration as he tries to adhere to the tight U.N. mandate while knowing the mission is unlikely to be seen as a true success around the world unless Gadhafi goes.
"There are a whole range of policies that we are putting in place that have created one of the most powerful international consensuses around the isolation of Mr. Gadhafi and we will continue to pursue those," Obama said. "But when it comes to the military action, we are doing so in support of U.N. Resolution 1973 that specifically talks about humanitarian efforts, and we are going to make sure we stick to that mandate."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/21/obama.gadhafi/