What is a.o. Indonesia?

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
In Australia's Foreign Policy - Main Priorities by Gisela Hirschmann, he wrote the first foreign security policy is to fight terrorism: capacity building support in countries of the region (a.o. Indonesia, Philippine). Here, what does "a.o." mean?

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:51 pm
This is the third time that this question has been asked. While not everyone has given the same answer, i think it is reasonable to say that we've decided that "a.o." means "among others." So, " . . . the first foreign security policy is to fight terrorism: capacity building support in countries of the region (among others, Indonesia, Philippines)."

You should understand that this is not a standard abbreviation in English. It appears that the author has made this abbreviation up, or that it is common in Australia, but unknown in the United States.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:04 pm
This question has been asked by several other members.
http://able2know.org/topic/169299-1
and more recently
http://able2know.org/topic/169330-1

the ony reference I can find to AO (and it is a dissimilar reference in that your question is about a.o. not AO) relates to the Phillipnes.

PHILJAFA Execs and JICA Philippines AO attend 4th JICA Alumni Regional Seminar in Indonesia

It is not a commomn abreviation in Australia that i am aware of.
It may stand for Asia and Oceana
It may stand for Among Others.

Please post the full title of the document or its source or a link.

You should also understand that it considered polite and good manners to say thank you even when answers provided have not been definitive
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
Do you think "among others" would work in that context?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:14 pm
My guess is only the author will be able to tell us. Why a German student of politics based at the university of New york is writing (badly) About Australian foreign policy is anyones guess.

why dont you phone her up and ask her
Tel: + 49 (0)30 25491 547
Fax: + 49 (0)30 25491 342
Raum: D 120
Email: [email protected]

Gisela Hirschmann
dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:17 pm
Maybe she'll be here. I dont know

The WZB
The Social Science Research Center Berlin conducts basic research with a focus on problems of modern societies in a globalized world

Reichpietschufer 50
D-10785 Berlin-Tiergarten
Germany
Phone: +49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: +49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
E-mail: [email protected]
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:32 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Why a German student of politics based at the university of New york is writing (badly) About Australian foreign policy is anyones guess.

Ah, this may provide a clue. I saw these threads asking about "a.o." and I agree with Setanta -- it obviously means "among others." That's not standard English, but it reminded me of the common German abbreviation u.a., which means unter anderen ("among others" -- it can also mean und andere ("and others") -- context is everything). So this may be an instance where a German author invents an English equivalent for a familiar German abbreviation.

There's no standard abbreviation in English for "among others." As pointed out on one of the other threads, the closest is the Latin phrase inter alia, which, thankfully, rarely appears outside of the world of jurisprudence.
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:46 am
I'm glad that's cleared up, because this is the fourth or fifth occurance of this question--good lookin' out Joe. Inter aliais used in academic contexts, too, as for example an historian noting an unresolved controversy might list a few of the "big" names in contemporary academic history as inter alia supporters of one particular point of view.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@joefromchicago,

Quote:
the closest is the Latin phrase inter alia, which, thankfully, rarely appears outside of the world of jurisprudence.

Au contraire, I use it all the time.

Which is a lot.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 01:38 pm
And haggis is eaten about as frequently too.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 02:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
HA ha hahhhH hAh

Joe(that killed me)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:27 pm
Well done joe although i dissagree with your assetion that it is "obviouse".
In fact I think its quite obscure.

What has become obviouse is that a university in China is using this text as a learning aid to teach English. Hopefully the students are being told not to accept this authors writing as official Australian government policy.
0 Replies