A woman kicked my dog.

chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:
. Just because you go to the dog park with your dog doesn't mean you're a canine expert, or are welcoming rough housing past a certain point.

you should be able to handle yourself, your dog and the other dogs there if you're going into an off-leash area

You should.

You also said "you should" several times in your previous posts.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

You should be able to.

However, some at least who are there don't, or can't.

They should be able to, but if they can't/won't that shouldn't keep them from being allowed to be there.

Speaking of should, the owners of all the dogs there should be able to keep their dogs from running up to, jumping up on other people.

I also agree that both parties could have handled it differently, but they didn't.
I just can't understand why the brutal comments about the woman, when perhaps they weren't even that bad. So far we've had rational people here call her a stupid old bitch, a beast, calls for kicking her, even suggestions she "shouldn't" have even had the right to be there in the first place.

Cieli hasn't come back yet, but I've just got too many questions about what happened to put the blame on this stupid old bitch.

I guess this would really have been a sticky situation for discussion here if this coon hound ran up to a mother and her, the kid grabbed the puppy because she got scared it was going to get hurt and the dog jumped up at the kid. I have a feeling suddenly it would be ok if the mother, in defending her child, kicked at the dog, who was making the kid scream in terror.

It's like the dog has rights, a kid has right, a mother or father can defend their kid, but an adult can't defend themselves if they felt they needed to defend themselves.

Come on people. This woman wouldn't have been in the dog park if she hated dogs. She didn't leave the house thinking "I hope an out of control half grown pup jumps at me so I can kick it"

She just did what she did at that moment. Was it a mistake? Yes, no, maybe. We weren't there. Frankly, Cieli immediately calling her a stupid old bitch, while knowing there was no way she could control three juvenile dogs properly, all at the same time, colors my opinion.

If push came to shove, if I had to choose to profect the safety of a dog or the woman, I'd go with the woman every time.
chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

I don't think you wouldn't be allowed. It just gives little dogs or more timid dogs a place to be without being wholloped by the big ones.

Like this big coon hound pup may have wholloped the old lady?
chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My opinion if he over steps his bounds then he gets trampled. He needs to know his place.

Which may have been what the woman was doing.
Her version of trampling him, so he'll know his place.

So, small dogs are kept separate from big dogs for their protection, but God help the old woman who has to fend for herself.
0 Replies

Ceili

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:03 pm
The woman who kicked my dog wasn't the owner of the pup. She decided the other dogs, not all of them where mine, were getting too rough. Her dog is a collie, he was part of the scrum. The coons are smaller than most of the dogs but they are definitely the loudest. They are only 4 months old and weigh about 22 lbs.
She started freaking, then the owner of the pup lifted her dog up, He was much larger than the coons. The older woman has caused problems with other people's dogs as well. Several people have told me they've had run ins with her before. The dogs DID NOT attack any humans. They were playing, barking and growling at each other, but not attacking anything.
She is an old bitch. She kicked my dog. Her dog was in the middle of the pack, barking and chasing the other dogs. Should I have kicked her dog? Not that I would ever do that...
I'm really glad some of you will never meet my dogs. I'll never have to worry about you kicking my dogs.
Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:05 pm
@chai2,
Two words - dog park. At least that is a normal assumption when defined as being an unleashed park.

It is not an elderly park, it is not a child's park - it is a DOG park. Dogs bark, and run. Sometimes they even jump. Although you are just assuming that the dog might have jumped.

If you don't like running, jumping, barking dogs, then you don't go to dog parks.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:07 pm
@Ceili,
No you shouldn't have kicked her dog.

I go back to my initial words - you should have kicked the old coot.

And please present her with the vet bill.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, you cant expect much sympathy from americans, as we pretty much dont let dogs off leashes anymore. Our attitude is that anything bad that happens when a dog is off the leash is the owners fault.....
0 Replies

saab

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
Across the street we have a big, tall man with a dog. They were playing in the snow and the dog came running, jumped at him. the man lost his balance on the snow and ice and broke his leg and will now be handicapped for months.
Maybe this could have happened to the lady who picked up her dog. A natural instinct when dogs come running like that. Some dogs will react negatively as they think you took away their platemate and attack you.
Dogs have to be able to play free some place, they should get used to other dogs and other people.
If you are not used to have dogs - join a dog school. Dogs enjoy it and they learn to obey.
Also dogs enjoy a tric schooling.
If you have a garden they also will enjoy very much if you have a parcour for dogs.
chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:22 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

The woman who kicked my dog wasn't the owner of the pup. She decided the other dogs, not all of them where mine, were getting too rough. Her dog is a collie, he was part of the scrum. The coons are smaller than most of the dogs but they are definitely the loudest. They are only 4 months old and weigh about 22 lbs.
She started freaking, then the owner of the pup lifted her dog up, He was much larger than the coons. The older woman has caused problems with other people's dogs as well. Several people have told me they've had run ins with her before. The dogs DID NOT attack any humans. They were playing, barking and growling at each other, but not attacking anything.
She is an old bitch. She kicked my dog. Her dog was in the middle of the pack, barking and chasing the other dogs. Should I have kicked her dog? Not that I would ever do that...
I'm really glad some of you will never meet my dogs. I'll never have to worry about you kicking my dogs.

Oh please Cieli, that's so dumb when someone does the "well I'm glad you'll never meet my dog, kid, wife, whatever" What, am I supposed to convince you I'm a good human being?

So, why didn't you describe the rest of this situation?
Is this woman an old bitch in everything, or just because she did something you didn't like?

Maybe she thinks you're the bitch.
The 64,000 dolloar question is why didn't you talk this out this the person? Because you don't like to confront?
So instead, you feel free for silly comments like "I'm glad you'll never..."

That's really very passive aggressive, as is not addressing the issue with the person you really need to be talking to.

Since you know other people complain about her too, is it because y'all talk About her, but no one talks To her?

This goes under the heading of "take the mail to the right address"

Don't tell us about it, tell the woman.
Ceili

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
@saab,
Again, the lady who picked up her dog did not kick my dog, it was the old lady who did it and her dog was acting in the same manner as the rest. She decided to single out Murphy because he was the biggest dog, not because he was the worst of the bunch.
ehBeth

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
They should be able to, but if they can't/won't that shouldn't keep them from being allowed to be there.

they have no place in an off-leash area - I've witnessed people telling other dog owners to leave an off-leash - I've done it myself.

Children really have no place in an off-leash dog area. I don't think I've ever seen anyone under 13 or 14 in an off-leash. It may be part of the bylaws here, I'm not sure about that.

Photos get posted of inappropriate dogs and owners.

If you can't handle the off-leash, stay out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:32 pm
@chai2,
Or perhaps she simply wanted to vent. Would it have been better for her to kick the woman like I said (obviously jokingly and to emphasize a bit for her)? Or to scream that the old hag?

She is simply venting like many of us do and for a bit of support.
0 Replies

Ceili

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:35 pm
@chai2,
Robert said he'd kick the dogs. I'm glad he wasn't there. I think anyone who kicks a dog is pretty low. As I've said, it was lap two.
I walked the dogs away from the situation, they were in my control.They listen to me and come when called. It all happened so fast. One minute they were playing, the next this woman started to freak, then she kicked Murphy. We passed the other pup later with no problems. During other laps I talked to other dog owners who told me they've confronted her for the same thing. She obviously has no idea how dogs play. In the summer, when the dogs aren't confined to the oval lap, I could avoid her, but I can't at this time, because of all the snow.
There are tons of kids at the park, from babies and toddlers up. Again, I've never heard of or seen anyone or other dogs attacked.
I have been knocked over several times by dogs running, not just my own. I chalk it up to being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not paying attention.
We pass dogs of all sizes and ages, everytime I'm there. It's just a huge open field, an off leash area.
Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:46 pm
@Ceili,
Well I wouldn't worry about the old hag - with her attitude sooner or later she is going to kick the wrong dog and be torn to pieces (more likely by some other older lady that doesn't appreciate her "precious" being kicked).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
@chai2,
Well, the old lady shouldn't go to a dog park. Seriously. Dogs are active players.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 02:37 pm
@Ceili,
If the aggresive lady does not watch out her dog might get aggresive too.
Dogs often pick the trades of their owners.

There used to be a very aggresive dog in our neighbourhood. The owners are the kindest people, but should not own a dog. The majority of us were afraid of that dog. If he was in the garden ready to jump the fence I would have hit him with anything I had: my handbag, my shopping bag even kicked him. Once I just made it into the car before he attacked.
I often see people walk their dogs without a leach and the dogs behave very well and obey. They might come running over to say hello, but that is because they know me and know they are allowed to.
0 Replies

Ceili

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:00 pm
Dogs, aggressive or not, will rarely jump over a fence to attack someone. God help anyone or anything that gets in an agressive dogs area though. They are protective by nature.
There's an aggressive dog on my block. Or at least he appears aggressive when you walk by their house. He snarls and jumps at the fence, it's only a few feet high. But if you meet him on the street or at the park, he's a pussycat. He just doesn't like people coming near the yard.
Murphy got out of the house the other day. I opened the door to a salesman and Murph ran out. There was a cop at a house a few doors down. He barked and backed up the whole time. After a few minutes he was playing with the officer. I have my doubts that Murphy would even attack a burglar. He's afraid of mops and brooms.
I think most Danes are like that, big and loud but scared of actual confrontation. The Coonhounds are bred to never attack a human, but they'll go after a cougar. If they see someone walk by the house or if they're in the car and see a pedestrian it's a cacophany of sound. Other dogs, rabbits, cats and birds are subject to the full chorus, frequently. If people come over, they'll recieve a few howls and then it's quiet.
Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
@Ceili,
Great danes are wimps. We took care of one while their owners were on vacation for a few days. She was afraid of our declawed wimpy cats. I have the best picture of my daughter when she was two years old standing next to this beautiful huge great dane.

I can't imagine a great dane hurting a fly - maybe a flea that is chewing on him, but not a fly.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:23 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Robert said he'd kick the dogs. I'm glad he wasn't there. I think anyone who kicks a dog is pretty low.

I think anyone who doesn't control their dog and freaks out old ladies and makes them feel the need to kick their dog is pretty low.

I have personally never needed to kick a dog that I can recall, but many a time have encountered rude dogs from owners like you and have had to defend my dogs from them. If you don't want them to be manhandled don't let them manhandle other people's dogs without their permission. Full stop.

Quote:
I walked the dogs away from the situation, they were in my control.

Each and every time I have felt the need to defend my dogs the other dog owner protests that they were in control, but quite frankly what they think is of precious little concern, I did not give them permission to have their dog roughhouse with my dog and when it comes to my smaller dog I don't care if the bigger dog's owner thinks they are in control, I don't know the larger dog and am under no obligation to trust their "control".

Quote:
They listen to me and come when called. It all happened so fast. One minute they were playing, the next this woman started to freak, then she kicked Murphy.

The lesson I would take from this is that I should be more considerate about freaking out other people with my dog, not that other people are "bitches" for overreacting.
Ceili

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:34 pm
You're calling me rude... Do you take your dog to an off leash park? I'm not a mind reader. If big dogs freak people out, why go to a park where big dogs are going to be. The little dogs have no problem what so ever in defending them selves. None of the dogs, theirs or mine were freaking out, it was one woman in particular. I've passed this woman scores of times, how was I to know this time would be different. There wasn't anything unusual happening until she started yelling about the "******* mutt", her words, not mine. She kicked the dog before I had a chance to do anything. As I've said, after the encounter, other people mentioned to me that she's done this before.
I've read everything I can on dog behavior. I didn't see any need to kick the dog. The dogs had bowed down, a singal or sign for play, then they started running and barking. It's what dogs do. As I've said, I gathered the dogs up and walked away. I didn't have to pull them apart or risk my hand getting chewed. I didn't even have to leash them, they followed me with no problem. This is the first time I've ever had this problem.
Go a head, kick a dog, I hope it comes back to bite you.