A woman kicked my dog.

chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:50 am
Like others have said, we weren't there. We didn't see what was going on from the perspective of the other woman.

Interesting Cieli how you immediately characterized the women as old, stupid and bitches.
With all the barking and howling of 3 large, young strong dogs, I can see where that would have been a frightening experience for the 2 old stupid bitches.

I myself would have been badly scared if 3 dogs, young enough that they most likely aren't completely trained, ran toward me and my dog. Just because you go to the dog park with your dog doesn't mean you're a canine expert, or are welcoming rough housing past a certain point.

I have no idea how the woman felt, why don't you ask her?
Maybe she felt frightened, and that way she lifted her dog out of the way. Then, when you're dog pushed the point, it scared her even more, and she acted out of fear.

You and others indicate that dogs create their own system, boundaries. When your pups when over the line, another dog put them in their place. What if the dog that put them in their place did so a bit more roughly than you would have liked? Maybe the other dog was doing the exact amount needed to put you pup in his place, regardless of your thoughts about it.
I don't see the woman kicking at your dog, as much different perhaps.

Speaking of kicking....did the woman seek out your dog, walking/running in it's direction, and deliberately aim a kick at a specific part of its body?

Or, did she kick AT the dog, to get him out of her immediate space?

We don't know what goes on in a dogs mind, but we also don't know what was going on in this woman's mind, unless you ask her.

I think if you take your pet to an area that is specifically set aside for them to be without leashes, you need also to be aware that things may happen that you don't like, or a prepared for.
You couldn't control your dog, because he wasn't on a leash. The woman was trying to control her dog as best she could, by picking him up.

Honestly, from the way you tell your story, I had the feeling through the whole thing that you didn't have enough control over your animals.

Doesn't mean the woman should have kicked, or maybe even kicked at him, but maybe it did.

Robert Gentel

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:42 am
@Ceili,
I would have kicked your dog and been pretty upset with you too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:04 am
I think either way, regardless of whether she was kicking out of fear or loathing kicking a dog is a bad bad idea. 1 because it's mean and unnecessary if the dog is doing nothing wrong. 2 because if the dog is acting out, you could get very badly hurt if it turns on you.

Dogs are still animals and are unpredictable, even at their best.
Setanta

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
She had no business kicking your dog, nor anyone else's dog.
Rockhead

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:16 am
@Setanta,
you kick the wrong dog, you get your foot bit.

be careful out there...
Setanta

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:25 am
I have good reasons not to kick dogs other than that, but that's a compelling reason itself.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:39 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

I think either way, regardless of whether she was kicking out of fear or loathing kicking a dog is a bad bad idea. 1 because it's mean and unnecessary if the dog is doing nothing wrong. 2 because if the dog is acting out, you could get very badly hurt if it turns on you.

Dogs are still animals and are unpredictable, even at their best.

Hey Bella, howzit goin?

you're right, kicking a dog, or anything alive is not a good idea.

however, sometimes when something happens quickly, your leg, arm, hand, foot, entire body will act on instinct to protect yourself.

This is coming from someone who hasn't reached out to purposely strike someone in at least 45 years, and I'm now 52. However, depending on the situation, I can totally see how a person could kick out, slap or hit if they felt threatened.
Cieli didn't want, doesn't want to "confront" the person, so I guess we'll never know the whole story.

However, if I had a dog, and I watched as it ran up to someone really fast, and that person picked up their own dog in a protective fashion, I'd think that person was scared, and could do something unpredictable. Dogs aren't the only things that can be unpredictable, especially when they feel threatened.

Honestly? Based soley on the info we have, if it was my dog (wait a minute, it was Three LARGE dogs doing this) and I saw them run up to someone so they felt compelled to pick up and protect their own animal, I'd be running right behind yelling "Sorry! Sorry! Get DOWN!" If they weren't getting down immediately, and she kicked out, I honestly don't know that I'd be that mad, at least I wouldn't be at that moment.
I'd see someone freaked out and scared, with 3 animals they don't know already acting unpredictably around them, not listening to their master.

A great dane and 2 coon hounds running at me, howling and barking? **** yeah I'd be freaked. I just might not rationally think at that moment "dogs are unpredictable, I better not try to keep the 3 of them from jumping on me, knocking me down, etc." I think I might scream and start to run, which I'm sure would be a bad thing also.

The dogs were doing nothing wrong? They were howling and barking and running en masse up to and old woman. That's not totally right either. In my mind, that's not controlling your animal maybe.

0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:20 am
I’d tell her you kick my dog again b*tch and I’ll kick you – you old hag.

If you are in an “unleashed” park, then it should be expected that dogs are going to run around and play. As long as your dogs are not biting or hurting other dogs what is the big deal? If she is concerned about her precious old dog, then she should be the one to leave when bigger or more active dogs are around. Her dog is the one that appears to need special treatment. If she is afraid of large dogs she should not be in an unleashed dog park. What the h*ll does she expect to run into at such a place? That is like getting angry and kicking at children yelling and screaming at a playground.

I think I would feel differently if you were at a park where your dog is expected to be leashed. If it is unleashed then the dogs should be allowed to be dogs.

I’d also bring the dog to the vet and then back to the dog park and present that old hag with the bill.
ehBeth

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:43 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

be careful out there...

yup

kicking a dog is just plain stupid

if it is a legal off-leash area there are usually bylaws that govern dog behaviour. dogs misbehaving/not under full voice control can lead to ticketing of owners.

the dog kicker could also be ticketed. if it was in a legal off-leash area, I would definitely have indicated that I'd be making a report about the kicker.

it does read like just about everyone in the situation could have handled things better, but in the final analysis the dog kicker will always (to me) be in the wrong. Everyone in the off-leash area should know how to deal with dominant, aggressive, lively dogs. If not, they shouldn't go into the off-leash area, with or without their own dog.

the female dog in our pack was very unpredictable with unpredictable dogs when she was first rescued. I still do not go into any offleash area with her unless I've checked the area out quite carefully and am sure that I can manage the other dogs (and their goofy owners) there.
chai2

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:45 am
@Linkat,
Wow, you'd immediately just start yelling at her, calling her names?

I hope you're kidding about the 2nd part, threatening to kick her as well.

Sorry, but I just can't put kicking an elderly human on the same level with kicking a dog.

I really can't relate to the fact that this is an elder citizen, a person who has made contributions to society, has done their part in world, has opinions, family, relationships, a long life, should be yelled at and threatened with violence over the fact they apparantly felt the need to protect themselves.

What if this big pup of a coon hound did jump up on this woman, causing her to fall and break her hip?

Sorry, but just because it's a dog park does not give free reign for the animals to run up to and jump on others.
Dogs don't come to the dog park by themselves, their human owners bring them. It's each dogs owners responsibilty to keep their animal in control, not the obligation of others to wear protective gear with the expectation they are going to be jumped on.
This isn't a child. It's an animal. It isn't like this "old woman" pursued the dog and visciously attached it.

What next? Should the entrance to the dog park be manned with security, so people who have any frailties aren't allowed in?
roger

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:51 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

be careful out there...

S'fact. I used to play fight with a German Shepherd I used to have. She once came flying by at head height, and I heard her teeth snap three times beside my ear. Kinda glad we were only playing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
What next? Should the entrance to the dog park be manned with security, so people who have any frailties aren't allowed in?

they should certainly know better than to go in to an off-leash area if they're frail

here, you don't find children or frail adults in off-leash dog areas. It's not appropriate. People who can't manage their dogs are usually asked/told to leave by other dog owners.
ehBeth

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
. Just because you go to the dog park with your dog doesn't mean you're a canine expert, or are welcoming rough housing past a certain point.

you should be able to handle yourself, your dog and the other dogs there if you're going into an off-leash area
Bella Dea

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm just surprised that there aren't areas designated for large dogs. At daycares and such here, there is an area for small dogs and large dogs so that everyone can enjoy the time.
ehBeth

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:21 pm
@Bella Dea,
My smallish male dog wouldn't like that very much. He only likes to play with enormous dogs.

I've seen some of the segregated off-leash areas in NY. I'm not a fan. I think it gives some small dog owners an excuse not to properly manage their dogs.
Setanta

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
When Cleo was "new," i would often keep her on a leash while Mr. Bailey was off the leash. She never seemed to mind that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't think you wouldn't be allowed. It just gives little dogs or more timid dogs a place to be without being wholloped by the big ones.
Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:34 pm
@chai2,
Of course I am joking and being extreme - my point is that if you are in an off leash area - you need to expect dogs howling and running. If you have a delicate dog - you avoid those dog parks or you do when there are less number of dogs.

In other words if you are concerned about your delicate old dog, then you are the one that should be observant and careful of where and when you walk your dog.

Now that is not to say that a mean unsocialized dog should run rampant. My impression (and of course everyone has there own vision here) was of a large puppy getting over excited and playing - not some harmful dog.

I have a small dog and he plays with very large dogs. My opinion if he over steps his bounds then he gets trampled. He needs to know his place. Believe me he has been knocked over by a very large paw or two - but he is a strong hyper thing so he gets back and goes for more.
Linkat

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Exactly the point I was trying to make - if you can't handle being around large dogs then why the heck would you even want to be in an unleashed area where dogs are known to play?
Bella Dea

Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
I just know that Bailey, for a perfect example, wouldn't hurt a fly. Except that he weighs 100 lbs and his paws could demolish a building. He likes to play with all dogs and he's a physical player (boxer). Little ones just get beat around and it's not fair to the little dog who doesn't even have a chance.

I don't think it's fair to say "little dogs don't come while we're here" or "Bailey can't be here when little dogs are around". A separated park is the ideal solution.
0 Replies