Accha?namaste?What does these two words mean?

Nancy88

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:03 am
“Accha, Mr. and Mrs. Thakkar, namaste.” The man wearing a yellowed short sleeve dress shirt and a short necktie bows slightly to them. “Please, be comfortable.” He gestures to two chairs across from the desk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,340 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
dadpad

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:01 am
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

“Accha, Mr. and Mrs. Thakkar, namaste.” The man wearing a yellowed short sleeve dress shirt and a short necktie bows slightly to them. “Please, be comfortable.” He gestures to two chairs across from the desk.

this sounds like an introduction however I have never heard the word "namaste" used in english before.
Having googled the word I understand this to be a common greeting in India. as to if this is the correct usage I have no idea.

If i rewrite as per below this may make more sense to you.
Accha this is Mr. and Mrs. Thakkar, .” The man wearing a yellowed short sleeve dress shirt and a short necktie greeted Accha and the couple namaste. He bowed slightly to them. “Please, be comfortable.” He gestures to two chairs across from the desk.

Note how the foreign word is in italics.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:36 am
'namaste" is a blessing/ greeting - either hello or goodbye.

Somewhat like the Native American 'meegwich".
0 Replies

suroj

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 08:02 am
namaste is the religious and social greeting of Nepali society.........it's not greeting of India...........I am nepali............we say Namaste to our elders at first when we meet them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 08:10 am
@Nancy88,
Quote:
Namaste (Devanagari: नमस्ते; formal: Namaskar) is a common spoken greeting or salutation originating from India. It is a customary greeting when individuals meet, and a salutation upon their parting. Younger persons usually initiate the exchange with their elders. Initiating the exchange is seen as a sign of respect in other hierarchical settings. It is the common greeting in Nepal as well.
When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest. This gesture, called Añjali Mudrā (or Pranamasana), can also be performed wordlessly and carries the same meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste

Quote:

Acha is a HINDI word for OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acha
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:11 am
@Phoenix32890,

6 Different Meanings of Accha in Hindi
"Accha" (pronounced ah-cha) is a versatile word that you’ll hear used often and in a variety of different ways. It takes on a number of meanings, depending on the intonation it’s given and where it’s positioned in a sentence. If you only learn one word of Hindi, make sure it’s this one!
Good
Acknowledgement -- I See, I Understand
Agreement -- Okay
Surprise -- Oh? Really?
Question -- Listen up
Exclamation -- Oh! Well, Well!
http://goindia.about.com/od/learningthelanguag1/tp/accha-hindi-meaning.htm

It is never used in this context:

"Accha, Thakkars, Macka's acca dacca
cd has just finished and he will join us presently.

0 Replies