Free Republic conservatives make me laugh

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
I find this very funny, the conservatives are always harping about how guns are so important to civil order, and how socialized medicine destroys society.

Now they are crowing about how there is no looting in Japan, as if somehow Japan, with socialized medicine and some of the strongest gun control laws in the world, somehow proves something.

This seems to be an example of a strong society with no right to guns and liberal social services. All conservatives seem to see is that there aren't any black people.

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
@maxdancona,
More telling than that is that there aren't any "white" people either. Wink
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:18 pm
@LionTamerX,
Shocked

oh no you di'int
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:19 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, I went there.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:29 pm
@LionTamerX,
I think your view was a little slanted.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:32 pm
@parados,
perhaps his posting was occidental
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Now they are crowing about how there is no looting in Japan, as if somehow Japan, with socialized medicine and some of the strongest gun control laws in the world, somehow proves something.

On what basis are they crowing?
What does the lack of looting have to do with the conservative Republican agenda?
The significance kind of escapes me.
(Pardon my ignorance, but I don't live in the US & have seen no such "crowing" in the media, so wonder what this could possibly mean.)
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:41 pm
@parados,
Are you callin' me yella ?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:42 pm
@msolga,
Msolga,
They are implying that there is no looting because there are no black people in Japan.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:47 pm
@LionTamerX,
Really? Surprised

Goodness me, that's a bit of a stretch isn't it? Razz
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:48 pm
@msolga,
I agree, it is a bit of a stretch the way they can get their heads up a certain body orifice.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:51 pm
@msolga,
After Hurricane Katrina stores in New Orleans were looted. The media took great pleasure in filming black people running out of corner grocery stores with bags of chips and cartons of soda. Conservatives used these images as an example of how our society is kicked in the teeth by ungrateful people who are probably already on social services. Fox News ran a big story about the New Orleans looting contrasting it with flooding in North Dakota (I think it was ND) where the (middle class white) people helped each other fill sandbags and made hot dish suppers for those in danger of high river tides. It was obviously a racial slap, although no mention of race was mentioned outside of the images.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:53 pm
@Green Witch,
It is rather hard to loot a store that is completely under water like they were in Grand Forks
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@Green Witch,
Thank you for filling me in on more of the details, Green Witch.

(Even if I am a bit gobsmacked. Very low & ugly political tactics, but I'm sure you don't need me to say that!)
Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@parados,
FOX news also forgot to film the white people taking food and other goods out of stores in New Orleans. I'm sure it was just an oversight.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:58 pm
@msolga,
You might be interested in watching Spike Lee's 'When The Levies Broke" - it's an excellent documentary on the event. Even if you're not an American it is very interesting and often riveting.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:08 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks for the recommendation, Green Witch.
I'll try to seek it out.

But (side issue) , on the matter of looting, I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised that desperate people whose homes had been destroyed & had no food would loot food from abandoned shops. (Heck, I would! Wink )
It's not as if anyone (of any "colour") would be delighted to be flooded out because this gave them the opportunity to loot some shops for food, surely? That's really silly thinking & bad propaganda. Surely most Americans wouldn't buy it?

Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:19 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Surely most Americans wouldn't buy it?

Not most, but we have a percentage of individuals here who are always happy to see their hatred justified by any means available.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:21 pm
@Green Witch,
And I guess, too, it depends on where those folk get most of their "news" from?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:30 am
http://tvnewslies.org/html/day_in_the_life_of_joe_middle-.html

Quote:
Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe’s employer pays these standards because Joe’s employer doesn’t want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he’ll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn’t think he should loose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Its noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dads; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn’t want to make rural loans. The house didn’t have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn’t belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republican’s would still be sitting in the dark)

He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn’t have to. After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home.

He turns on a radio talk show, the host’s keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. (He doesn’t tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day) Joe agrees, “We don’t need those big government liberals ruining our lives; after all, I’m a self made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have”.