Never buy a DELL computer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:56 pm
I purchased a DELL XPS7100 last month (Feb 17, 2011) - supposedly under warranty. I called DELL, and they told me it will cost $200 to fix a $500 computer. I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL COMPUTER EVER AGAIN!

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 02:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What was the problem/malfunction? User related (Dropped from the desk? Spilled coffee? Etc...?) User related damage isn't covered by the warranty.

I never had a problem with Dell fixing their computers under warranty. I'm on my 3rd or 4th Dell laptop over the past 10 years. Of course, my present laptop, I had inherited, was the top of the line Dell XPS line.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
None of those; I just unpacked it from the box (new), and set it up in my computer room. After about one week, it started to fade in and out, so I called DELL support. They transferred me to a tech in India, and after going through some steps (about one hours worth), the tech said he can help me fix it by paying $195. I told him to forget it; I'd rather junk it than pay $195 without any warranties that the same problem won't come back.

Never had this problem with any of my computers; desk, laptop, or book.

I'm assuming it has to be a defect in the hardware, but that's only a guess on my part.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That does not sound right and I would call back and ask for a supervisor and not just take the word of someone in India.

Second note if for some strange reason they are still unwilling to honor a warrant on a new computer just out of the box and you had placed it onto a credit care less then 60 days ago you can challenge the charge.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:58 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, I took the computer back to where I purchased it. They're going to do a diagnostic on the computer, and the invoice says they're charging me $49 for the diagnostic. Ain't gonna buy anything there in the future.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One more why would you do that?

Off hand I can not think of any computer that is sold without any warrant at all and a computer that fail in less then two months warrant or no warrant is not suited for the purpose is was intended for.

I would give no one a dime but would talk to Dell and the store who sold it to you and demand that they take care of the problem on their dime not your.

Then there is the BBB and your credit card company assuming you are in the US.

I would off hand think you had a good case that they sold you a computer that is unfit for the purpose it was sold for and therefore the charge can be challenge.

Is there something you are not telling us?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wise choice to go in person to find out the problem. That $50-$75 is typical diagnostic charge (for an hour of bench test). If this purchase was a used or reconditioned computer I could see the charge; however, if it's new I'm stumped why they should make it come out of your wallet. What is that warranty good for?

Depending on what happened to cause it to fail (if you damaged it), I'd push back on them for zero charge.

The exception being is if you didn't use a firewall or virus-protection and your machine caught a virus.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:31 pm
@Ragman,
The whole thing is strange as a fast internet check come up with the information that the computer had a warrant of one year.

We are not getting the whole story.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:32 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman, The shop just called and said the diagnostics do not show any problem. I'm going back to pick up my computer. No more DELL for me! It hasn't even been 30 days since I purchased it.

The tech at the shop said it might be my monitor that fades in and out, but I'm on the monitor with my other HP computer, and have not had any problems. He said he can come to my house for a charge, but I told him I'd rather junk the new computer than pay more money to fix it.

DELL warranties are a piece of ....worthless dung.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wait, wait! You say the monitor has issues? That's a whole different kettle of fish.

When did you buy the monitor? Was it new or re-conditioned? If you bought a new monitor and it's failing now, it should be covered. If you charged it on your charge card, then call you credit card company (if the store won't cover it), and they'll reverse the charge most likely. Speak to the credit card people as they provide consumer protection insurance within certain timeframes and limits. Work around the store's (and Dell's) mess up, if they won't do the right thing.

However, if the monitor is NOT fading in and out at all on the other computer, than possibly there's a video cable connection issue with the Dell or a video card (intermittant issue). Just guessing. Did you bring the monitor in to the store or leave it at home?
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In the US there is no way you do not have all kind of recourses in that situation and Dell have to honor their warrant so your problem seem strange to say the least.

What possible reason did they [Dell and the store] give for not honoring the warrant?

There a big missing piece of the puzzle here concerning your problem.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:45 pm
@Ragman,
The tech asked me about the age of my monitor when I brought in the computer. I really don't remember, but I said it's at least 3 years old. I told him I will go home and hook up my other computer to see if the fade in/out occurs, but it hasn't - for the past one hour.

Can it still be my monitor? I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine such things.

I like this monitor, because it's a 21" with 1,000,000/1 contrast ratio, and it's clear as a whistle. Do you think I need to go buy another monitor?
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, it still can be your monitor or an intermittant connection. However, give it more than an hour. An evening of use should tell you. Typically monitors last about 5 years as round-about avg. I've gotten an avg of 5 yrs from a monitor and as much as 8 yrs.

However, the exception being if you lived in an area where there is a lot of voltage fluctuation and/or brownouts or lightning, etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:49 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, At DELL support, they forwarded me to a tech in India who ran me through step-by-step to determine what the problem could be. After about an hour, he said he can help me fix it for $195. I told him I'd junk it before I spent more money on a new computer, and hung up. I called DELL support again, and they said they'll switch me to another tech. I said, no, because I'm not going through the same routine to find out they'll charge me $195 to fix this new computer.

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't bother with tech support. Only deal with local store where you bought it as that is who is repsonsible for the condition and negotiating (if any is needed).

However, I believe that with the 30 days, you still have your credit card consumer protection. I'd call them up and verify but ONLY if it's NOT your monitor that's at fault.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:56 pm
@Ragman,
Thinking, CI, after you wait the time Ragman suggested, if you are still in a quandary, could you borrow a friend's monitor to see if that would work?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 02:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Furthermore, if this the issue with the monitor:

1. Is it "winking out"? Dimming or losing brightness is one issue, but total loss of power is another. Does the monitor shut off (no power led light).

Also, you may have a bad power cord or bad conenction to the power strip when you had plugged it in where and when it was hooked up to the Dell. Now you hook it up to HP, you might not see the problem again.

Is this not happening at all now to the monitor? You may accidentally found the problem. You could have a bad outlet at the power strip, bad connection to the monitor or a bad video cable and/or connection to the Dell.

The key is what happening now with the monitor, seeing that the Dell may not actually be the culprit?
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
When the tech came up with a 195 dollars price tag you did not state that the computer was under warranty instead of just telling him you would junk the computer?

You do need to get ahold of another monitor to see if that is the problem or not in any case.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:02 pm
@Ragman,
It really doesn't "blink" as much as it fades in and out.

I just brought my computer home after they completed a diagnostic that didn't show any problems.

Since I've had no problems with this monitor since about two hours ago, I'm not sure it's the monitor.
The tech also said they didn't experience any fade in/outs during their tests.

It might be the monitor at home, so I'm going to hook up my other monitor to see if it still shows the same defect, but that'll happen later today.

Will report back what I find tomorrow.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:04 pm
@BillRM,
I told him I purchased the computer on February 17, and hooked it up a couple of days later. It's still under "warranty." Is their warranty good for 30 days or 90 days? I'm not sure.