3

HP computer is extremely slow (to the point of almost being unuseable)

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 02:50 pm
I have a Windows/HP computer that has been EXTREMELY slow for the past year or so, to the point where I'll avoid using it. It's extremely frustrating to even print a simple document, and last time I used it I timed it...

It took me over 30 minuets just to open Google Docs. Over 15 minuets just to turn the computer on, almost a full minuet for the log in prompt to even show up, around 5 minuets just for all of my applications to appear on my screen and almost 10 minuets just for Google Chrome to start up! Then making a google search was extremely slow, and loading the Google docs program took a few minuets as well. Obviously, this is way, way, slower than any computer should be.

I've tried everything, restrting the computer, unplugging it and doing a force reset, even deleting a ton of my unneeded files to free up space. It's still just as slow.

The computer is about 4-5 years old, so pretty old, but I don't feel like that's old enough for this to make any sense.

Don't have the money for a $1000 computer right now. Anyone have any advice?

1  
Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 02:56 pm
@Kayster ,
I can't help, but I have similar problems. I'm also using HP. I have an old Dell that runs under Windows 7, and is many times faster than the HP under windows 10. No more HP for me.
Kayster

1  
Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 03:02 pm
@roger,
That's kind of what I was wondering too, if other people have this problem. I've said multiple times I'l never buy an HP computer again but didn't know if this was like a me problem lol and just a problem with my specific computer ... Thanks for letting me know

Mame

1  
Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 03:05 pm
@Kayster ,
I haven't used a PC in many years, but did so for work for 20+ years. From what I remember, we used to have to 'defrag' it from time to time. Why not call a computer repair place and get some suggestions? Or google the problem. There may very likely be youtube videos on how to do it. I understand your laptop is slow, but you could look up the question on your phone. It could also have a virus so you could spend 60 hours (!) downloading MacAfee or whatever is used these days, then running it.

Don't your parents ever help you out with this sort of thing? They'd be the first I'd go to. They may not know what to do, but you're still their dependant and you need this laptop for school, so they should pay to fix it or help you figure it out.
engineer

1  
Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 03:17 pm
@Kayster ,
It is possible to create a boot disk or USB with Linux on it. You can boot from there and it will be lightning fast. Here is a search page with various links for instructions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+bootable+usb&oq=linux+boo&aqs=edge.0.0i433i512j69i57j0i131i433i512j0i512l6.4852j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You can buy ones already made. Here is an example link

This will boot up your computer on a fast operating system but will not change anything on your computer today. You can get on the web, do Google Docs, etc and leave when you are done. I've done this to an old, slow computer of mine.
Kayster

1  
Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 03:44 pm
@Mame,
Thanks for the reply
The computer is the main house computer in the living room, yes I often use it for school. It's not a laptop.

My Mom doesn't know anything about computers. We've both told my Dad about the issue but he doesn't use it and he's kind of just pushed it off and done nothing about it.

I've looked up the issue on Google and basically it just told be to do a force reset which I did.
Mame

1  
Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:28 am
@Kayster ,
Maybe try engineer's suggestion. He has experience on an older, slower computer, too. Other than that, can you use the computers at school or the library?

Alternative: ask your dad to sit down with you at the computer and show him how slow it is and tell him how much you NEED it for school. Maybe seeing it in living colour will help.
Kayster

1  
Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 01:34 pm
@engineer,
Omg I didn't even know that existed, thanks

I'll check with my parents to see if we can do this.

Kayster

1  
Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 01:37 pm
@Mame,
Pretty much the only thing I need this computer for is when I need to print something, which is decently often since I'm half online. The rest of my schoolwork I'm able to do on my school issued chromebook. My Mom needs it very often for work or banking though, and she's the main one who's being effected by it, but like I said she knows nothing about computers.

You're right, maybe I should tell my dad to try and preform a simple Google search so he can see how slow it is.Not sure how much he can do, but I know he has a lot more computer knowledge than anyone else in the house.

PoliteMight

1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 06:21 pm
@Kayster ,
Well
1. Somebody mentioning booting from external drive, usually we need solid state ( ssd ) drives in modern machines, and I would download this program called Windows 10 PE and back up your operating system to an external drive of some sort.
2. Maybe the computer needs new material between the processors and heatsink. That material wears down over time and five years is a consumer generation