Does regular programming always look like crap on an HD TV?

DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:38 pm
My in-laws have a big ole HDTV. We went to their place last night, and turned on a video for the kids while we talked.

It looked like crap! Artifacts all over the screen.

View best answer, chosen by DrewDad
patiodog

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@DrewDad,
May not be the TV. Some DVD players now create a sort of pseudo HD out of the regular (that is, non-HD (LD?)) format, and the result isn't very pleasant. Our tube's got some settings that help to filter out some of the digital noise. They also tend to soften edges, though.

Anytime you increase the size of an image without increasing the resolution, though, you're going to make flaws more apparent.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@patiodog,
It was broadcast, actually. "Wow-wow Wubzie" on Noggin.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
Anytime you increase the size of an image without increasing the resolution, though, you're going to make flaws more apparent.

Sure. I've been dealing with increasing computer monitor sizes for ages. I haven't jumped onto the HD bandwagon yet, though.

My question is whether I'm just too unfamiliar with HD technology, and there is some way to make regular programming look good on an HD set, or if all HD sets experience this problem.
mismi
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@DrewDad,
sometimes digital does the whole squaring out thing...it has to do with the reception. Do they have HD? You said it was just regular programming on an HD television? Ours looks great when all is well even when it is regular programming...HD channels are immaculate though...regular programming is as good as it was on our old TV.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Dunno. Ours (it's a little embarassing, really), is a Sony Bravia, so toward the higher end of the spectrum, and I've got no complaints, and I don't watch any Hi-Def on it. I have spent some time customizing the picture for a noise/softness compromise that I'm happy with.

I've got bigger beefs about what TiVo does to the picture quality (but, hey, no commercials, watch when you want).
mismi

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:56 pm
@patiodog,
no commercials is worth a lot to me. Very Happy
DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@mismi,
Yeah. We got rid of TiVo when we switched to AT&T U-verse. I'm about to dump U-verse for something else, though, so we may resurrect good old TiVo.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@patiodog,
Do you have the TiVo HD?
patiodog

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:09 pm
@DrewDad,
No, just regular TiVo, and regular cable. Got the big HDTV because our old TV was dying, we had some money at hand, and didn't see the point of getting something that would soon be obselete. Also, we had a big living room at the time, and my wife's eyesight isn't the greatest.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
@DrewDad,
My husband wants to know the answer to this too-- we just had exactly the same experience with going to the in-laws house and thinking, "jeez, your fancy tv sure does make everything look really crappy!"

......Well, I just thought it; Mr C said it, loudly and repeatedly.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:31 pm
We have a fairly large screen JVC HD and no problems on any channel. We do have cable with HD. The HD channels are sharper and brighter than the regular channels but not so much so that you know right away whether you're seeing HD when you first walk into the room. We did have to replace our old DVD/VCR player, however because it wouldn't play well with the new TV.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:57 pm
I have just upgraded to Sony Bravia (engine2) with a Blu-ray 2 box.

Regular transmissions are the same; but movies have the wow factor. DVD’s are up scaled to near HD quality, and if you burn your digital pictures onto disk it acts as a superb viewer.

You have to have High-definition 1080p with at least 20000:1 Contrast Ratio.
0 Replies