Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread RECALLED!

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:57 pm

received this e-mail from Amazon today...

Quote:
Unilever United States Inc., in cooperation with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), is voluntarily recalling Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread and Skippy Reduced Fat Super Chunk Peanut Butter Spread. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of the items listed in this recall through the Amazon.com website.

The recall involves the Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread and Skippy Reduced Fat Super Chunk Peanut Butter Spread. The affected products are packaged in 16.3 oz plastic jars with the Best-IF-Used-By date stamped on the lids with UPCs 048001006812 and 048001006782 and Best-If-Used-By Dates: MAY1612LR1, MAY1712LR1, MAY1812LR1, MAY1912LR1, MAY2012LR1 and MAY2112LR1.

The recalled peanut butter spread may be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.

Customers who have purchased the recalled Skippy Peanut Butter Spread listed are urged to discard the product immediately and call the company at 1-800-453-3432 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM and 6:00 PM EST for a replacement coupon.

You may also find additional details about the recall in the FDA bulletin at:
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm245897.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,788 • Replies: 8
No top replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
I heard that but since I had already opened the jar of Skippy and I didn't get sick and the dog didn't get sick, I'm probably safe.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:09 pm
How much labour time and effort would amazon have to put into researching and issuing that statement?

obviously its in Amazons interest to issue the notices but its hardly their fault they have to do so.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
that's what you get for eating reduced fat peanut butter
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:18 pm
barf.
thats not food.

get some real peanuts and grind them yourself. when you taste the difference, you will then know what peanut butter is Smile
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
I saw that announced on one of the 24/7 blabber networks a few days ago. Was going to post something about it here and forgot to do so. Thanks.

I wonder what generic/store brands they also produce and whether there is a concern with those too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:51 pm
@shewolfnm,
And I'll also be ingesting more fat and calories than I have the room for.

I've had freshly made peanut butter, and it's lovely.

I still need to lose weight, so the spread is what I eat.

Assuming it doesn't have salmonella in it. Gaaack!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:57 pm
We use peanut butter to give our dog his allergy pill. He likes Jif. Woof.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:32 am

our opened jar had an oct-something "best used by" stamp, so we aiit... Smile
0 Replies