Are you against Christian Sharia Law?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:16 am
@WendyLou,
WendyLou

Christianity is no better than Islam. Islam is no better than Christianity.

There have been extreme examples where Christianity, as well as Islam, has been used to support the most barbaric of practices including rape and the murder of children. There are also many examples ere Christianity, as well as Islam, has been the base of moderate and reasonable societies.

The Bible says you are supposed to kill witches and homosexuals and women who have premarital sex. If you are arguing that Christianity is somehow superior to other religions you are going to have to answer for every evil committed in the name of Christianity (just as you are spewing every alleged evil committed in the name of Islam).

This my religion is better than other religions crap is pure idiocy.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:19 am
@Baldimo,
I think you're a bit late replying to Mr. Dubois.

http://able2know.org/topic/173404-1#post-4640495
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:21 am
@WendyLou,
WendyLou wrote:

If Sharia Law ever becomes the rule in Australia there will either be a civil war or a huge exodus from my country.

Do you really think there's any likelihood of that happening?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:22 am
@maxdancona,
My question to you is why not just oppose barbaric policies and practices regardless of the religion? You agree that extremist religion is a bad thing in any case, right?

In my country, the US, the religious extremists are Christians. They are fighting same sex marriage tooth and nail. They are trying to keep laws from prosecuting hate crimes. They are even blowing up abortion clinics and killing doctors. And they are asking for (and in several states received) special "covenant marriages" that increase the role of the church and take away rights from battered women.

I am concerned with my country here which fortunately has a long tradition of separation of church and state. Thankfully we don't have the cases you here of in countries run by religions.

What pisses me off is when the extremist Christians, who are doing many of the same thing for the same reasons extremist Muslims would do, then go after extremist Muslim.

Is a terrorist bombing really better when it is done by a Christian?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't know about Serbia, but it's definitely going on in Uganda. I saw a news report a few days ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15283722.

Lot of ethnic cleansing going on in Serbia though.

How are the Ugandan child abductions for use in witchcraft, connected to Christianity? There's nothing in this clip that would suggest it is.

Ethnic cleansing is just that. It's not religious cleansing. The bastards engaged in it may or may not be be Christians.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, are you really trying to argue that extremist Christians don't commit barbaric acts? Uganda has the LRA and the "Kill the Gays" bill.

The epidemic of Christians killing children as "witches" appears to be centered in Nigeria. It is well-documented.

Quote:
EKET, Nigeria — The nine-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall.

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him – Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/african-children-denounce_n_324943.html

The point is that religious extremism is a very bad thing whether it is Muslim or Christian extremism. I don't see why this point is so hard for some people to accept.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

How are the Ugandan child abductions for use in witchcraft, connected to Christianity? There's nothing in this clip that would suggest it is.

You asked about kids being killed in Uganda associated with witchcraft you didn't say anything about Christianity, but there are plenty of cases of kids being accused of witchcraft and being kicked out of home. I'll find some links for you later.

Quote:
Ethnic cleansing is just that. It's not religious cleansing. The bastards engaged in it may or may not be be Christians.

The Christian Serbs ethnically cleansed the Bosnian Moslems, that makes it religious.
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Which might have been good advice. It depends what "witch" means. If it is a person the tribe thinks is malevolent to its survival chances then there is a long history of tribes killing such people if only as an example to others. Some advanced countries do such things today.

Why any particular pattern of behaviour should be thought malevolent is a matter of time and place and condition. It is likely that such a behaviour has its attractions and if not prevented could cause disintegration through running amok.

It is anachronistic to trot out the Bible quote today as if it means anything significant to us. Which is not to say that it is not significant to us. It may well be significant to us but we don't know it.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:19 pm
@spendius,
Spendius, the whole point is this. Christianity is no better or worse than Islam.

The Bible means whatever you want it to mean. The Koran means whatever you want it to mean. Good people have done good things based on one interpretation of the Bible. Bad people have done bad things based on a different interpretation of the Bible. This is the same as the Koran or any other religion.

My sole point is that religious extremism is the problem. I have no problem with decent people who are religious no matter what religion they happen to be.

In the US Christian extremism is the real threat.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:39 pm
@WendyLou,
Christian women are protected from Christianity. Forced marriage, and being sold as property is prohibited by human laws of states/countries, not divinely by the bible.

Theocracy is theocracy. Sharia law isn't a threat in the USA, and the only way it could become a threat is if Christians tear down the wall of separation of Church and State. After that, it's just a numbers game. Christian dominionists look at Islamic nations with envy as much as contempt.

A
R
T
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@izzythepush,
It was in the context of this thread, but not a big deal. I think that in terms of "ethnic cleansing," religion is a secondary or coincidental consideration.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:03 pm
@maxdancona,
It's not a religious question for me.

I don't follow Islam or Christianity, but recognize that both can be forces of good and both can be misused by the less than honorable.

Barbarous acts in the name of Christianity are no better or worse than barbarous acts in the name of Islam.

I'm not sure why but you seem to want to equate the current excesses of Islam in the Middle East, with the current excesses of Christianity in the US.

There is no comparison.

This isn't because Christianity is better than Islam, it is because American culture is more advanced than Middle Eastern culture.

American Christian zealots may want to deprive gays of certain rights, but Muslim zealots want to deprive them of their lives. Neither is a good thing, but they are not equivalent.

I'm not defending Christianity. I've no doubt that its practice in backward societies is every bit as nasty as the practice of Islam in the same societies.

There is simply no Christian equivalent of Sharia in modern nations where Christianity is practiced. This doesn't mean Christianity is a superior religion, it just means that modern cultures are more liberal than those stuck in past centuries.

BTW - Sharia is not a fundamental element of Islam, just as The Inquisition was not a fundamental practice of Christianity.
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:15 pm
@failures art,
I don't look at Islamic nations with envy fa. Quite the contrary in fact.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:29 pm
@spendius,
Not even the Fezes? You can wear them like this, or like that. Fish. Bowl. Bowl. Fish.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You are missing the point Finn. I am not comparing the the current excesses of Islam in the Middle East, with the current excesses of Christianity in the US. This thread has nothing to do with the Middle East.

I started this thread because fundamentalist Christians in the US are painting American Citizens who happen to be Muslim as some great threat. These Christians are claiming that American citizens are trying to have some ill-defined "Sharia" law here. They are even passing "anti-Sharia" laws here even though no one in the US is suggesting that any of the barbaric acts discussed here should be accepted here.

This thread is about the hypocrisy of fundamentalist Christian in the US hyping up fear of "Muslim Sharia law".

For example extremist Christians pushed through Coventant Marriages in three states now and are trying in a dozen or so elsewhere that carve out a specific religious marriage that makes battery more acceptable and inserts the church into the legal aspects of marriage. They do this at the same time they are passing laws condemning "sharia" laws that would make a specific marriage contract centered on a religion that isn't theirs.

This thread is about hypocrisy.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:33 am
@maxdancona,
The point, or your point?

This thread is about whatever anyone wants to insist it is.

Your contributions, in my opinion, have insisted that current Western Christian practices (of which you don't approve) are the equivalent of current Islamic practices.

Cite whatever you will, they are not.

You need not approve of fundamental Christian practices in America to realize that Sharia is much worse. You won't be a bigot if you do.

Honest.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
Max, I'd like to know more about why you think a "covenant marriage" is somehow relative to a Sharia Law discussion. Hope my question makes sense. I mean, you seem to think that a covenant marriage somehow takes away rights of battered women (from an earlier post) yet from my knowledge of covenant marriages this is not the case. In fact, spousal abuse is one of the permissible reasons to end a covenant marriage. Also, a covenant marriage is entered into by contract with both parties agreeing to the terms. So why is that a bad thing as you seem to think it is?

FYI, I'm simply asking out of curiosity. I'm not sure I understand anyone feeling the need to enter into a covenant marriage as opposed to what I'll term a "regular" marriage. If both parties are committed to making a marriage work then I don't see the point. But I am just wondering why you seem to view it as somehow related to Sharia Law.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:23 pm
@CoastalRat,
Coastal Rat.

Covenant marriage is designed to insert religious ideas, in this case Christian religious ideas, into the legal framework of marriage. Sharia laws are designed to insert Muslim religion ideas into our legal framework. Most of the examples used by hysterical anti-Muslim people involve family/marriage laws.

The idea that a Muslim religious official must have input in any divorce proceedings is portrayed as a horrible thing, while Covenant marriage mandates that a Christian religion official must have input.

What really bothers me is the hypocrisy of the religious right.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Compare apples with apples Finn.

Fundamentalist Christianity is a far greater threat in America than fundamentalist Islam is a threat in America. This is natural since Christianity is much more of a part of our history and culture. Radical Christian voices get larger followings and can go much further before being questioned. It is undeniable that Christian terrorism has been quiet effective in reducing legal abortions in several states in a way that no other religion could.

Of course in the Middle-East Muslim extremism is far more powerful because there Islam has the deep historical and cultural ties that Christianity has here.

Do you really think a world-wide comparison would mean anything? You would have to include the extremism in the Middle East as well as the witch killings and child soldiers of Africa and the genocidal recent history in Serbia.

I imagine it is pretty close to a wash. I don't see why you think opposing religious extremism of any stripe is a problem?

failures art

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:59 pm
@maxdancona,
The point of the christian apologetics on a matter like this is to say that since they don't go as far as muslims in other countries, that they should be able to go up to but no further than them. Just as long as they get to say that someone is worse, they refuse to let you call them out on their transgressions. In fact some (like spendi) even go as far as to think that we should thank them for their restraint.

A
R
T