What is a telecommunication outlet?

Nancy88

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:44 pm
Is a telecommunication outlet a store-like place where people can pay their telecomunication rates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,102 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 03:14 am
@Nancy88,
Need more context. In Britain what we call a telecommunications outlet is a box on the wall or sometimes under a flap on the floor which has one or more sockets for phones and computers and other devices to connect to the building's data network and maybe other services like TV. Possibly other English speaking countries use this term.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/e-learning/NetTechDC02CD/images/pic097.jpg

http://www.hometekdesign.com/_images/posts/101216struc/t570-grade2.jpg
Nancy88

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 04:09 am
@contrex,
Thank you for your kind explanation. Which word do we use when we refer to a store-like place where we can pay the telecommunications rates? Such as a small branch of British Telecom on the street side.
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 05:13 am
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

Thank you for your kind explanation. Which word do we use when we refer to a store-like place where we can pay the telecommunications rates? Such as a small branch of British Telecom on the street side.

If by "telecommunications rates" you mean "phone bills", mostly in the UK we pay them online or over the phone with a credit card, or by post with a cheque, but we could go to a phone shop such as a BT Shop, a Virgin shop, a Sky shop, etc, depending on our phone/internet/TV suppliers.

Nancy88

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:22 pm
@contrex,
The name phone shop may cause some misunderstandings, however. When I saw the name "Phone shop", I first regarded as a shop where sells handsets and phones. I know you can pay the fees on-line. But where do you go if you don't pay it on-line? I mean there must be many small branches of BT on the street. Do you call them BT shops?
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 02:23 am
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

The name phone shop may cause some misunderstandings, however. When I saw the name "Phone shop", I first regarded as a shop where sells handsets and phones.

This is exactly what they are.

Quote:
But where do you go if you don't pay it on-line? I mean there must be many small branches of BT on the street.

No, there are not many small branches of BT or any other phone company on the street. This appears to be a feature of your society or country.

I have discovered that BT closed all their shops a few years ago. In fact they sold them to a mobile phone company called O2. Here is a picture of an O2 shop.

http://www.stockphotography.co.uk/Upload/Stock/Watermarked/20202.jpg

Now you can pay your BT phone bill online, by phone, or in person in a bank or post office (there are lots of these)

You need to understand that in Britain -

Up to the 1980s the telephone service was a State monopoly run by a branch of the Post Office called "Post Office Telephones". In those days you could pay the bill by post or by going into a Post Office.

In the 1980s the Conservative government privatised many State businesses: British Railways, British Airways, Post Office Telephones (which became British Telecom) and also "utility" suppliers (gas, water, electricity). Now people are free to choose which phone or utility supplier they want to use. People pay their bills online, by phone, or in banks or post offices.
Nancy88

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 02:42 am
@contrex,
IN my travel to China, I saw many small branches of China Mobile on the streets. So I just wonder how to call those small branches. BTW, there are also many small braches of China Unicom (another chinese telecommunications giant company). Can I call them telecommuications shops in English?
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 03:06 am
@Nancy88,
You can if you want to. English is not like mathematics, where there is only one right word for everything. You could call a particular shop a "China Mobile shop" or a "China Unicom shop" or you could classify them generically as "phone shops" or "telecommunications outlets" if you want to.
0 Replies