No Respect for Teachers in the USA. Why?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
No Joe, that's what is still is.

What you are describing is a minimal shift, not a sea change.

If it's actually the case, it's a good sign, but it hardly constitutes remade American unionism.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You were a tin knocker?

That explains much.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You were a tin knocker?

That explains much.

I didn't laze about by the pool during summers in college, like a bunch of rich kids; my tuition didn't pay itself.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good for you!

Neither did I.

I was a Teamster and married at age 18, but my union only cared about new members and dues.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:28 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

What Sturgis said.

Ball park guess would be anywhere between 30,000 and 90,000 per year.

Is that 90 for someone still in the classroom?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:04 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

littlek wrote:

What Sturgis said.

Ball park guess would be anywhere between 30,000 and 90,000 per year.

Is that 90 for someone still in the classroom?

I think yes. I know a couple of teachers out here in Frisco, both with 25+ years experience, both get paid roughly 90.

I can see why tho, these dudes are the best. Any kid would be lucky to have 'em.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You were a tin knocker?

That explains much.
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I didn't laze about by the pool during summers in college, like a bunch of rich kids; my tuition didn't pay itself.
Cycloptichorn
I enjoyed summer vacation from school, at ALL grade levels, thru law school.

I never had a summer job.

Summer fun is part of what makes life worth living.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I was a Teamster and married at age 18, but my union only cared about new members and dues.

So you only made minimum wage?
Or did you make union scale?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 09:28 pm
@parados,
Who can remember?

I only know I was all about workers of the world uniting, but found the Teamsters wanting.

Now I suppose you're going to tell me how they benefited me and my youthful perception was wrong.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 02:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I can see why tho, these dudes are the best. Any kid would be lucky to have 'em
we the taxpayiers not so much. 90K pay means about 97K cost to the state with taxes or $48.50 / hour that the teach takes home. Add in $15K for health insurance we get $56 / Hour. Add in 28 years drawing 60% base pay plus medical insurance for a retirement package worth over $2 million divided by 30 years @ 2,000 hours work per year and we get the cost to the taxpayer for one teacher is $90 per hour worked.

teachers are underpaid?? Says who?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 06:45 am
@hawkeye10,
You want to run those numbers again, Hawkeye, and this time don't use the highest possible numbers for salary, benefits and retirement then try to make it sound like it's an average. 'Tis not.
Joe(let's try a little honesty)Nation
JPB

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:10 am
Average compensation package here is $96,500. Base salary for an entry level BA fresh out of school is $50,000. It's $58,000 with an MA. Top salaries for classroom teachers is slightly more than $120,000 plus benefits.
JPB

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:25 am
@JPB,
We also get about 300 applications per opening and openings are few and far between.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
we the taxpayiers not so much. 90K pay means about 97K cost to the state with taxes or $48.50 / hour that the teach takes home.

Since when does any worker take home the taxes their employer pay? Just curious hawk.
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:47 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Average compensation package here is $96,500. Base salary for an entry level BA fresh out of school is $50,000. It's $58,000 with an MA. Top salaries for classroom teachers is slightly more than $120,000 plus benefits.

Wow!

Sounds like that is unusual though?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:00 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
You want to run those numbers again, Hawkeye, and this time don't use the highest possible numbers for salary, benefits and retirement then try to make it sound like it's an average. 'Tis not.
Joe(let's try a little honesty)Nation

It is relevant because there have been allegations that one of the reasons WI is trying to bust unions is that they want to allow schools to sack the highest seniority teachers in cost cutting....ala Circuit City. It is an extraordinarily bad idea, but when you get down to figuring what the most expensive teachers cost us I can see why post Great Recession the idea of dumping them for cheaper sounds appealing.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:07 am
@dlowan,
From the NEA's website:

Classroom Teacher Salaries: The U.S. average public school teacher salary for 2008–09 was $54,319.

State average public school teacher salaries ranged from those in New York ($69,118), California ($68,093), and Massachusetts ($66,712) at the high end to South Dakota ($35,070), North Dakota ($41,654), and Utah ($42,335) at the low end (C-11).
JPB

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:12 am
@dlowan,
We basically support public prep schools. Our graduation rate is 99% and our college admission rate is 96%. We pay for our schools through property taxes and get very little, if any, support from the state/feds. It's unusual, I think, in the sense that our property values are high because of the quality of the schools we support. Our property taxes are high -- crazy high -- accordingly.

Our high school ranks fifth in the state in average ACT scores with over 75% of the kids getting 30 and above. The downside is that the place is a pressure cooker and the kids are pushed to excel on all levels. I think you'll find more of this kind of academic support in the suburbs and less support in the urban and rural areas.

Edit: I just checked the numbers for last year's graduating class.

ACT: 441 students tested
Composite Percentile
26.4 Average
30.0 75%
27.0 50%
24.0 25%
20.1 State Average

Enrollment: 1708
Student/Faculty Ratio: 11:1
Faculty: 152; 92% hold Masters Degrees and 5% hold PhD degrees
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:14 am

During my childhood, I resented the fact
that the law required me to work Monday-Friday in exchange for no pay.

I was aware of the 13th Amendment.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:21 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
State average public school teacher salaries ranged from those in New York ($69,118), California ($68,093), and Massachusetts ($66,712) at the high end to South Dakota ($35,070), North Dakota ($41,654), and Utah ($42,335) at the low end (C-11).
those numbers are deceptive because of programs like "teach for America" and because the schools churn super low seniority teachers. I dont recall the exact number but something like 1/3 of all those who go into teaching expecting to make it a career are out within 5 years, either because they are not good at it, or they dont want to wait to get seniority to earn the bucks and thus go do something where they can make more now, or they hate teaching. If you were to take the average pay of career teachers you would see numbers much higher than the ones you give. If you were to give a "cost to the taxpayer" number factoring in health care and deffered income it would be at least double, and probably triple, your numbers.
0 Replies