Aslan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:42 am
How to overcome the vapidness in english and how to bring up the love with english?I want to learn english well,but i am short of love with english ,what should i do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,570 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:51 am
I'd try to give you a good answer, but my ability to express myself is too vapid.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:47 am
@Aslan,

If you don't like it, you won't learn it.
You've got to want to do it.

To build up your love, get a lot of films on DVD and watch them carefully. A lot of different types of movie.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 07:47 am
@Aslan,
Aslan wrote:

How to overcome the vapidness in english and how to bring up the love with english?I want to learn english well,but i am short of love with english ,what should i do?

Don't even look for love through the medium of a foreign tongue... What the English were and Americans are our language serves nearly to perfection... We take care of business and that is what our language allows us even while it denies to us the fine distinctions of German Philosophy, or French Poetry... As Samual Johnson said: English has no grammer... We know this is not true, of course; but compared to Latin, we have nothing approaching the complexity of grammer... Unlike virtually every other language springing from the common source of Indo European, our nouns have no gender distinctions which makes our conjugation of sentences immeasurably easier... So have fun... Consider that language is a form of comunication, and that love and as you seem to use the term, sexual relationships are quite another form of communication... But, much the same can be said of violence...
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:26 am
Many people don't "like" learning English. It is very difficult to learn.

Many students join chat groups to learn English.

A good one is: www.usingenglish.com

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:22 am
@Fido,

I got a lot of pleasure from that answer, in a perverse kind of way.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:46 pm
@McTag,
Yeah, like Aslan could even read that . . .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:18 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

He can't spell "grammar".
Fido

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:19 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I was once an English major many years ago for my only year in college... At the MSU surplus store I have recently found three good volumes on the English language, which has a rich and interesting history... Before this time, the single greatest advance in my understanding of my language was an attempt to learn French, and there I learned the use of Avoir, and Etre to conjugate the other verbs... Here we are an age, and they have an age for example... Yet, between these two, what we are, and the qualities we have, we can be well defined... All languages may safely be said to express sufficient to ones needs, but English has an advantage of a larger audience, so that the universal needs of human kind may be talked too...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:32 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

McTag wrote:

He can't spell "grammar".

You would not believe the extent to which our spelling is misleading and the result of archaic misunderstanding of older forms of the alphabet by later scribes... You would not believe words and names which once rhimed and rhime no more... You might in trying to learn German recognize an immediate similarity to our vocabulary, but even there the addition, accretions and accident preserved in the conservative nature of writing, even while the spoken word deviated far beyond is beyond belief... As one Frenchman asked: Why is Ague two syllybles, and plague is one???... Each comes from the source of our words acute, and cut...Language is history, and culture all wrapped up together... But a typo is simply a typo, and if you stick with me you will find lots of them... The best I can say is that my typing and spelling have both improved... In the age before computers I once passed a typing class with a d-....
contrex

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:16 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
But a typo is simply a typo

Not if repeated.
Fido

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:39 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Fido wrote:
But a typo is simply a typo

Not if repeated.

I am fifty seven years old, and I made my living with my hands... In my younger days I once held a pin on the end of a pin, and with the help of another man with a hammer backed it out of a hole it was bound up in; and in the process, and with it being an upper cut with the sladge hammer, he missed and bounced that six pound beater off my hand... And it bounced, and I bounced iron off me many times, and of all my body, my hands took the worst of it for thirty years of ironwork...

I double hit, and I miss letters all the time with my index fingers, especially, perhaps because they simply do not hit as hard as I would like... And I am a terrible speller on top of all... It is not bad that I make mistakes...Never knock yourself for mistakes... Mistakes are easy to make, and to not make mistakes is difficult... If you knew how far I have come in my spelling you would not bother me as I would not bother you... I can still do pushups on my finger tips as on my knuckles and wrists... I was a better man in my day than you could be in ten life fimes and when I die it will not be without having lived a full life... So answer the point if you can, and save your ridicule... I have a dictionary in my head, and it is not simply to keep my ears apart... I know the meaning of the words I use, but considering the limits of my formal education, I am not doing bad... Considering the work I have done, and the injuries I have survived, I am doing great... I double punch as often as I under punch, but I usually catch the doubles sooner, for some unknown reason... And I am still living... As Ani Defranco said: We barely have time to react in this life, let alone rehearse... To spell well takes practice, and it is only out of an extreme need to communicate that I take any time to talk to you... No one is paying me for this... And you clearly do not appreciate the knowledge of my life time... So why bother me???
fobvius

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 12:36 am
@Fido,
Quote:
I was a better man in my day than you could be in ten life fimes Shocked

Couldn't you just tan her black ass.

Shocked
McTag

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:16 am
@contrex,

I particularly liked the implicitly-stated idea that the British have had no use for, nor influence on the language since 1776.....

Quote:
What the English were and Americans are our language serves nearly to perfection...

Smile
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 05:10 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I particularly liked the implicitly-stated idea that the British have had no use for, nor influence on the language since 1776.....

And I expect he wonders why some people find him irritating. Oh, of course, it was a "typo". Silly me.

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:47 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
What the English were and Americans are our language serves nearly to perfection...

Smile
Essentially, we have had modern English since nearly that time... We have had periods of great change in the language and periods of great stability... But, as one book I have suggests, all the 7000 languages we know of work as well for communication... Every idea we hold can be translated in some reasonably acceptible fashion into other languages... English does have a certain efficiency of thought for which fine degrees of expression suffer, as well as artistic expression... Since we cannot as an ontological matter express reality as we sense it, or think we know it; still we can communicate by approximation, enough to assure our survival in the short time...

If you look at the tragic events of history, they are the civil wars, and revolutions where people could clearly communicate, but let their own view of self interest destroy their understanding... Achilles could communicate with Hector... If they could not resolve their differences short of bloodshed it was not a problem of communication exactly, but an error of predicate... They did not love each other's guts...That fact left them no point of agreement...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:52 am
@fobvius,
fobvius wrote:

Quote:
I was a better man in my day than you could be in ten life fimes Shocked

Couldn't you just tan her black ass.

Shocked
Perhaps so; but there isn't any money in it...And I am not one to appoint myself to a task without renumeration and without some other sufficient cause...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 07:03 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

McTag wrote:

And I expect he wonders why some people find him irritating. Oh, of course, it was a "typo". Silly me.

Most of my spelling mistakes are exactly that... I know how to spell grammer... I have four books dealing with that same issue in rotation right now to one extent or another. If I have read the word once in the last two weeks, I have read it fifty times... But if you want to be a dink; then who can stop you??? I would not choose as you have to spell to perfection, and know little else of value... I know what I mean, and the meaning of words... If you wanted to understand you could... I don't bother other clearly intelligent people about their spelling which can often be amazing... I try to deal with the first rather than the second intention...
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:14 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
But if you want to be a dink; then who can stop you???

Not you, that's for sure. However, try though you may to evade the point, you're the one being a "dink" if you fail to address the issue now raised, which is what you meant by "what the the English were and Americans are", (did you mean the British?) and get into a (conveniently) manufactured huff about the previous one.

contrex

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 10:29 am
@contrex,
Not so prompt to reply, now, is he?