Can we use "V+ing" after "can"

ppl

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 05:13 am
Can we use "V+ing" after "can"?

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 05:15 am
@ppl,
Your question makes no sense. Who are "we," and why would "we" wish to do that?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 05:24 am
I suspect this is another one of those strange learning-English questions that make little sense to actual English speakers because we don't share the conventions that those who write the textbooks use.

If "V+ing" means present participle, and if you are asking can you use a sentence like "We can eating", NO, you can't say it. You can say "We can eat dinner now". You could say "We can be going within an hour". But you can't say "We can doing it".

If that's not what you're asking, I have no idea what you mean.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 05:31 am
Good insight--if "V" stands for verb, that may very well be the nature of the question. It seems a common mistake of non-native speakers of English to use the present participle in such a fashion. I have encountered it frequently among speakers of French.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
The 'we' refers to the general 'we' and in this it is the same as the general 'you'.

If you, specific, not general, are unable to understand something as elementary as this, you, specific, should probably refrain from offering advice on language.

If you, general, are unable to understand something as elementary as this, you, general, should probably refrain from offering advice on language.

If we, general, are unable to understand something as elementary as this, we, general, should probably refrain from offering advice on language.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
I guess it has nothing to do with Ving Rhames. Neutral
http://www.itchmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ving_rhames-kong-dog.jpg
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/files/2010/12/ving-rhames.jpg

Aw shucks. Sad
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:35 pm
If you ignored me, you idiots, the ones who partook, would still be making right asses of yourselves in the "peeves" threads.

[Whoever the brave one was, that was at least as rewarding as a minus 5]
0 Replies