The impending Government Shutdown

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 04:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Hah! You wish.

What have I told ya about 'speaking for America?' I don't, in fact, think the country has moved on from 'playing partisan games.' In the slightest.

Cycloptichorn

I believe the divide will intensify. There will likely be no healing.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
You also thought that in Wisconsin, the governor would use the threat of taking away collective bargaining rights to get concessions, but when concessions were granted, he took them away anyway. I think you continue to think that the good of the state or nation will trump partisan politics, but there is no evidence to support that idea. The Republicans have learned that the Dems will usually cave rather than hurt the country. The Dems are refusing to cave. No way this comes out good.

The Republicans in Congress already are getting what they originally asked for - $33 million in cuts. Now the Dems are in for $33 million and it's not enough. No amount of give will be enough and the Dems see themselves as already moving all the way to the Republican position. I can't see a way out of shutdown unless the Republican leadership has conducts a reality check with some of their members and that is not going to happen.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:21 pm
@engineer,
Lose your avatar? I like Ralph's grinnin face

Cycloptichorn
engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, he's still smiling on my screen.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:28 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

No, he's still smiling on my screen.

I get a funny red triangle thing; odd, I just saw your old avatar this morning.

Cycloptichorn
wandeljw

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:33 pm
Would this be happening if Republicans avoided pressure from the Tea Party faction?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:33 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Would this be happening if Republicans avoided pressure from the Tea Party faction?

Probably not. Boehner reportedly was working on a deal with the Dems in the House, that would have gotten most of his cuts but not all of them; but the Tea Party members who heard nixed that idea really quickly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Strange, I see everyone else's avatar as well as my own without problem. Maybe I can find a spider pig.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:32 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The Republicans have learned that the Dems will usually cave rather than hurt the country.

The Republicans in Congress already are getting what they originally asked for - $33 million in cuts. Now the Dems are in for $33 million and it's not enough.

So you speak for the country.

and you don't understand what insanity you post? 33 million you repeat twice was cut from the federal budget.

I hope to almighty God that you don't speak for the country. If we don't know the diff between million billion and trillion we deserve to go under and we will if the likes of you are running it for much longer.
engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:46 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

No where did I speak for the country.
electronicmail wrote:
If we don't know the diff between million billion and trillion we deserve to go under and we will if the likes of you are running it for much longer.

Nah, if I was running the country we wouldn't have any deficit because I would never have implemented any of the Bush tax cuts (proven money waster), would cut military spending (proven money saver), send the veterans to college with a robust GI bill (proven economic stimulus) would have never entered that financial sinkhole that is Iraq (that's a trillion right there - did I get that right for you? Trillion) and would not be sending cruise missiles to Libya.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
Shut it down. As soon as the welfare queens realize their checks aren't coming, they'll be calling the TV stations letting them know where the demonstrations are being held to blame the Tea Party. I'm getting the popcorn and beer ready for the show.
electronicmail

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
@electronicmail,
Where are you an engineer, a kindergarten sandbox? I reposted but that's the last time I bother.

I colored the relevant words to make it easier for you:

hint: "country" is one
"million" instead of billion and/or trillion is another.

electronicmail wrote:

engineer wrote:

The Republicans have learned that the Dems will usually cave rather than hurt the country.

The Republicans in Congress already are getting what they originally asked for - $33 million in cuts. Now the Dems are in for $33 million and it's not enough.

and you don't understand what insanity you post? 33 million you repeat twice was cut from the federal budget.

I hope to almighty God that you don't speak for the country. If we don't know the diff between million billion and trillion we deserve to go under and we will if the likes of you are running it for much longer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:59 pm
@electronicmail,
I assure you, he understood you perfectly well the first time Laughing

Cycloptichorn
electronicmail

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:00 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Shut it down. I'm getting the popcorn and beer ready for the show.

If the likes of sandbox boy engineer keep running things we ain't looking at no beer and popcorn.

0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good. Now make sure you explain the diff between
33,000,000 and
33,000,000,000 and
and then
we're all set 2 Cents Mr. Green Drunk Laughing
engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I assure you, he understood you perfectly well the first time Laughing

Smile Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:04 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Good. Now make sure you explain the diff between
33,000,000 and
33,000,000,000 and
and then
we're all set 2 Cents Mr. Green Drunk Laughing

Haha, you're lucky you edited that error out fast.

More seriously though. You don't believe there's any chance that this could backfire on the GOP?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
America has largely moved on from participating in the partisan games, we think they all suck, if they cant get the work done because they are still playing the old games we will not pick a side.

Documentation of sorts
Quote:
Instead, the public is split evenly — 37-37 percent — in apportioning blame for a shutdown. Not surprisingly, Republicans would blame the Democrats and Democrats would blame the Republicans. The key is that independents are pretty well split down the middle. As The Post reported, 35 percent of independents say they would blame Obama for a shutdown; 34 percent would blame the GOP.

Obama’s lieutenants counted on the public seeing the Republicans playing politics with the shutdown — and, the public does see things that way. According to the Post poll, 62 percent say the Republicans are playing politics with the shutdown, compared with only 31 percent who say the GOP is trying to resolve the issue. Obama’s numbers are better, but not by that much. The survey found 51 percent saying Obama is playing politics, compared with 43 percent who say he’s trying to resolve the issue.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/should-obama-have-engaged-earlier-on-the-shutdown/2011/03/04/AFMFmllC_blog.html

I am not a polling expert but I think that the polls tend to be flawed because the way they ask the question assumes that one side or the other will be blamed. I think that most people do think that one side is more to blame than the other, but I remain convinced that where the rubber meets the road both parties are disliked for their failure to perform. The record low apporval ratings of Congress and our very new habit of cashiering whom ever is in charge at election time strongly indicates this.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
If he understood why doesn't he come back to apologize?

Any honest man would post a correction. Any engineer would know diff between million and billion.

Guess what that makes him? Or you for backing him up?
engineer

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 08:33 am
@electronicmail,
Why would I apologize for a typo that you've already corrected for me? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies