A passage from Waht I Saw and How I lied.

Nancy88

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 04:40 am
Grandma Gladys yelled at my mom, "You can twist him around your pinky finger in your fancy nail polish, Miss High and Mighty, but I know the truth. You can put sawdust on the floor, but a fish still stinks like fish!"

Mom looked like she wanted to leap over the coffee table and warp her hands around grandma's throat. "You wouldn't know the truth if you tripped and landed in it nose first, Gladys." She looked Joe(her husband) full in the face, and for the first time since we left the courthouse, he met her eyes.

What does the sentence "You wouldn't know the truth if you tripped and landed in it nose first" mean? Who caqn explain it for me ?
look somebody full in the face? What does the phrase mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 541 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
WendyLou
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:37 am
@Nancy88,
The phrase "you wouldn't know he truth if you tripped and landed in it nose first" means, no matter how hard someone tried to point out the truth to someone, they wouldn't recognise it. It's just an expression which is supposed to convey, even if he hurt his nose when he fell over he still wouldn't acknowledge or know the truth. To "look somebody full in the face" simply means to stand face to face and look into their eyes, make eye contact. Hope this helps a bit.
0 Replies