Awkward or not?

talk72000

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
The whole sentence must be considered and the changes refer to the terms being changed. It is a conditional usage not just plain usage. They don't want you to use it unless you accept their terms of usage. The phrase "continued usage" is meant that you accept the terms of the contract. Anyway it is written by a practised lawyer who regularly writes these complex sentences so it would be written corectly.
Lash

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:36 pm
hilarious....of course, means...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:18 pm
@talk72000,
Oops, should be...
talk72000 wrote:

The whole sentence must be considered and the changes refer to the terms being changed. It is a conditional usage not just plain usage. They don't want you to use it unless you accept their terms of usage. The phrase "continued usage" is meant that you accept the terms of the contract. Anyway it is written by a practised lawyer who regularly writes these complex sentences so it would be written correctly.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:05 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It shows how lawyers are great constructors of complex sentences to put the blame on you. Notice the contract one must sign are in small print. Gotcha contracts. Mr. Green

I am honored that I've offered a roundabout way to make you a good lawyer. Wink
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 04:37 pm
@talk72000,
Geez, looking at my reply, I see that I completely flubbed my explanation.

We know what SPCF is trying to say in that sentence, they don't want you to use it unless you accept their terms of usage.

But the meaning of the sentence is not in question here.

What is in question is the grammar of the sentence in regard to the word "mean".

The word "mean" doesn't refer to the conditions. The conditions are not the ones that you listed in your other post. The conditions to which the sentence is referring are laid out in later paragraphs within their "Terms of use."

I tracked the forum down and found this.

You are making an ipse dixit error in assuming that because this sentence was written by a practiced lawyer it must certainly be correct. In this case, the practiced lawyer committed a grammatical error. Practiced lawyers have been known to do that on occasion.
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
In this case, the practiced lawyer committed a grammatical error.

Or, a typo that is perceived as a grammatical error. I find myself forgetting the verb 'is' sometimes, especially when it a contraction ['s] added on to this or that. No the this or that meaning a bunch of things but the actual this or that.
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 11:19 pm
@JTT,
Maybe she thinks there money in it somewhere.

See what I mean about forgetting a couple of keystrokes. And this from a guy who writes pretty damn good, though he tends to the flowery. Smile
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 11:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT , as ever , is correct. There is no need to cast nasturtiums just because an error arose.

By accessing the Science & Philosophy Chat Forums you agree to be legally bound by the following terms as amended from time to time.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 02:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
Your argument would be valid if the sentence was broken up into many sentences but it is ONE sentence.

Quote:
We may change these at any time and we will do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of SPCF after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

We may change these at any time and we will do our utmost in informing you. It would be prudent to review this regularly yourself. Your continued usage of SPCF after changes means you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 04:26 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
No the this or that meaning

See, I forgot the 't' in 'not'.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:17 am
@talk72000,
Quote:
Mean is plural so it is correct.

Make up your mind
talk72000

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:08 pm
@wayne,
What are you on about? It is plural so it is "mean".
0 Replies