Cat proofing fences - ideas?

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:29 pm
Hi - we have inside cats, but we are hoping to buy a new house with a very cool layout that will make it possible to have the cats safe outside, with just a little work on some fences. I've had a bit of a hunt on the web, but I was wondering if any of you had come across effective, DIY, non-obtrusive ways of containing cats in a yard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,970 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:33 pm
@hingehead,
Cats are kind of like burglars. If a burglar wants in, he'll get in. If a cat wants out, he'll get out. The fact that they are inside cats does give you an advantage because they might not be so curious. I'd say a high wood fence is going to be your best deterrant from them escaping but no guarantee.
hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:43 pm
@Arella Mae,
Hi Arella the fences are mostly pretty high, but cats can climb fences, there's plenty of this sort of idea around, I'm just looking for recommendations/experiences:

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/92232/283156.jpg

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:53 pm
@hingehead,
Looks like a good high fence. It's been my experience a cat can climb most anything, the little stinkers. But that fence hanging over the top like that might deter them. I hope you find a solution.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:09 pm
@hingehead,
I recall that, after moving into my current place, although the Colourbond fences were high, the bloody cat dug his way out underneath them. I had to go along the length of the back fence and concrete in the gap between fence and ground, and a bit either side, to make it too difficult / annoying to dig out!

And then the trees grew - and he could climb them to get over the fence.

Current cat is too fat / lazy / arthritic to get over the fence, but I still worry that other cats, you are not quite so f/l/a, can get into the yard from outside.
hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:56 pm
@margo,
The way the yard and fences work I'm pretty happy cats won't dig out. Yay. We're only talking about having the cats outside while we're home so they'll be semi-supervised and hopefully we'll spot Colditz behaviour.
0 Replies