Art You Hate: Which famous artist DON'T you get? Which artists whose work you utterly hate?

Eva

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:38 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
...such things are decided by art historians, the passing of time & the artist's place in the development of art movements following his/her contribution...

Certainly. Also, with the exponential increase in the sheer amount of knowledge, I don't believe it's possible to be a "Renaissance man" like Leonardo in today's world. (Not to belittle his accomplishments, of course.)
msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:54 pm
@Eva,
Well of course, Eva.
Not expecting any more Leonardos.

But, you know, I still wonder about these things in reference to much more recent art & artists... Smile
msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:17 pm
@msolga,
... like, what would be our more contemporary definitions of really exceptional artistic achievements (obviously not in the Renaissance genius category) be?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:14 pm
I'm presently watching a documentary of woman artists who live in NYC titled Our City Dreams (2008). One of the featured artists is one of the most overrated and overhyped contemporary artists today: http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/emoticons/basic2/sigh.gif Marina Abramović, performance artist and untalented con-artist.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree, but I must acknowledge that my lack of appreciation for her work and that of any other artistreflects in part my own limitations. And my appreciation of others' work reflects my creative powers. An artistic creation is a nexus between an artist and a viewer;
0 Replies

ilikeyou

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 02:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm tired of Modern Art. We have to understand this art, but I want to feel it. It's not about hate, but a lot of sad, evil or stupid art. Can I choose such exhibitions?? What do you think?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 01:03 pm
@ilikeyou,
ilikeyou wrote:

I'm tired of Modern Art. We have to understand this art, but I want to feel it. It's not about hate, but a lot of sad, evil or stupid art. Can I choose such exhibitions?? What do you think?

Not sure how you define modern art? Or if you're confusing modern with contemporary?

Quote:
Modern art includes artistic work produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era.

Impressionism: Art and Modernity
French Impressionism is Modern Art. It's raison d'etre is to bring the viewer #feels. It's not that difficult to understand.

Broad generalization especially when overdone can be overkill.

Kara Walker is a contemporary artist whose work is meant to be experienced emotionally.

The same can be said of the works of Kiki Smith.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 01:44 pm
The "art" I hate is the one which I don't consider Art at all. Pseudo art for instance or fashion art, or art fart...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 02:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
tell us more? Is there any art you like?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 02:20 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Art fart can be called play, a matter that I think is primary in art - not just attempts to copy breakfast; or maybe with a brain trying to paint breakfast.
I think of Leonardo as a player extraordinaire.
0 Replies