Art You Hate: Which famous artist DON'T you get? Which artists whose work you utterly hate?

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:36 pm
Koons' lawyers are suing people for copyright infringement for making things like bookends that look somewhat like his balloon animals. Which is pretty stupid considering he appropriated those balloon animals from people who've been making them for decades.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yeh, appropriation is a tricky matter to discuss. A presently famous artist whose name I would need to double check used appropriation that really bothered me at the time I read about it. Not sure what I'd think now, will have to reread, but that did come to mind yesterday when I was trying to figure what I actually hated. It might have been a NYTimes article on the whole subject of appropriation. Or, a New Yorker article. Too bad my mind is a sieve.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:12 pm
You're probably thinking of the graffiti artist who did the poster of Obama, who was busted in Boston when he came here for graffiti. I saw him at the ICA here and saw him talk but I'm still senior-momenting on his name. Sheesh.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:13 pm
Shepard Fairey--it's terrible when you get to the point where Google has to substitute for your memory.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
No, it's a name like Richard Price or Richard Prince.

You, on the other hand, are thinking of, oh, wait... it's on the tip of my tongue. But hey, I know who you mean. I almost had it.
Wait.
Fairey.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, didn't see your Fairey post!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:36 pm
Ok, it was Richard Prince. Now to read up and see if I still am irritated -

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/2009/04/22/Richard-Prince-Art-Controversy/

Ok, that still irritates me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hah! You little turd! I was sucked in by his biography. He really sweated over his representation of abstract expressionism....it's like channeling. But, you may hate him if you must. I still love you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Which oeuvre of work from a famous visual arts artist (dead or living) do you just don't understand why they are so famous or loved?

Which brings me to the part I don't understand, as opposed to hate or dislike ...

Postmodernism :

Quote:
Postmodernism is a movement away from the viewpoint of modernism. More specifically it is a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the problematization of objective truth and inherent suspicion towards global cultural narrative or meta-narrative. It involves the belief that many, if not all, apparent realities are only social constructs, as they are subject to change inherent to time and place. ....<cont>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

Apparently Banksy (whose work I do like) is a postmodernist, but I would have called him a graffiti artist ... this is so bewildering! Neutral

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Mauer-betlehem.jpg/300px-Mauer-betlehem.jpg

Any assistance in furthering my understanding (in simple language, please) would be most appreciated.

I am getting left behind!

Now there is Post-postmodernism.

Help!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:22 pm
@msolga,
MsOlga... these labels are relatively useless on an individual level. Artists like films can have more then one label.

American Beauty (1999) is both a comedy and a drama.
Crash (2004) is both a drama and a huge nasty crap of a film.
MASH (1970) is both a comedy and a war film.
Pan's Labyrinth (2006) is both a drama and a fantasy.
Etc....
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
MsOlga... these labels are relatively useless on an individual level

Well "postmodernism" seems that way to me.
Sort of ungrasp-able. Neutral
But tell that to art critics & "experts".
Tell that to people who are trying to keep up with developments in contemporary art ... (which try to do, not very successfully these days I'm afraid.)

If only it was as clear cut as understanding film genres.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:41 pm
@msolga,
Post modernism was a term in many fields back in the eighties. I don't worry about it..
KiwiChic

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:42 pm
http://www.3news.co.nz/Portals/0-Articles/120211/collateral.jpg?width=300..........and they won $15000.00 dollars for this crap???
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Basically vague and useless like the words empowerment, proactive, and synergy.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:44 pm
@KiwiChic,
That was an example of postmodernism, I think. Razz

Thank you!
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tell me something, tsar! Wink
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:46 pm
@msolga,
'Contemporary' they call it.......well I could easily call it something else LOL
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:52 pm
@KiwiChic,
Look KiwiChic, if you read the manifest that goes with that artwork, you'll "get" it, I'm certain!

It is ignorance which is holding us back from a true appreciation. Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:53 pm
@KiwiChic,
Well played KiwiChic!

There was another infamous story of a janitor who threw away what he thought was trash but it turned out to be an actual work of Damien Hirst being exhibited by the museum.

I really love a lot of Damien Hirst's works but alleged art such as this really creates a disconnect between mainstream world and the art world.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/oct/19/arts.highereducation1

I don't know which is more frustrating or worse: The artist of this kind of literal trash art who is sincerely convinced this is an authentic work of art which holds true cultural value and significance for the world or the artist who knows that this literal trash art is nothing but trash but brings it into the world in order to find gullible dupes who will think this alleged artwork holds any cultural value and significance for the world? Mad
KiwiChic

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree!
0 Replies