Art You Hate: Which famous artist DON'T you get? Which artists whose work you utterly hate?

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:33 am
@ossobuco,
I really hope to go. My post-education plans have been raped....but still holding hope.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:55 am
@Lash,
I like the intertwining of Carravaggios life and his work. The guy was a bum and a thug but what an eye. Vermeer has always been my most fav artist . I especially love his works of minor landscape masterpices of the streets of Delft.

Howvere, getting on with some of my leat favs and I hope this guy has not been mentioned because I hold him in scorn as an "Otto Wacker" of the Abstract expressionists.
Cy Twombly, never got it, dont like it, He sold his doodle pads fpr big bucks.
I saw recently that the big buck art market seems to be back. Christies in NY did 41 Million in one week in Jan 2011. Most of it was the abstract expressionist stuff which seems to have been a marginal market until times were really stable. SO, who knows. if youve got a extra Louis Morris lying about or a Frank Stella, you could show a profit now.
Lash

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:44 am
@farmerman,
I'll read up on Caravaggio per your recommendation, farmer...and (laughing) I've got to see this Twombly guy now.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
@Lash,
In case I don't talk with you before you get there, I should have said there are a lot of Caravaggio paintings in Rome.. not just those two. Such a feast..

Have to look Twombly up myself - I have this tendency to forget stuff I've rolled my eyes at.

Aha,
http://www.cytwombly.info/prince2_files/untitled_1960.jpg

Continues rolling eyes. But, this reminds me of another guy that just had a retrospective in nyc in, I think, this last year. Now to remember his name, then look that up, and see if I can connect the two. What I do remember about the second guy is that the more I learned about his thinking process, the more I got the work.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:07 am
@ossobuco,
If my kid ever did that on a wall he would
!. Never get dessert in his life until the wall was cleaned up or

2He would repaint the wall 2 COATS!

I love abstratct expressionism in general but some of it has no value to my eye.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:05 pm
@farmerman,
I don't respond to much of Twombly, but what I do like usually has a wonderful color scheme, very subtle.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:40 pm
I can't stand punk music or music with violent gangster type lyrics. Can't we all try and get along?

Or Eminem wining on his "recovery" album about his prior addiction to heroine or whatever. Sorry, just not my cup of tea.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:42 pm
On the flip side I can thoroughly enjoy a karaoke song sung purely amateurish and out of tune.

It is sometimes the "good" effort that shines through.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
I 've seen exhibitions of art (paintings).
I did not go far out of my way for that.

It never occurred to me to HATE any artist for his art.
I discern no reason for hate.
I support the 1st Amendment, as well as the 2nd.
I like the 3rd too.

The whole Bill of Rights is pretty good.

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
you must reread the title of this thread. It was carefully worded to distinguish the sin from the sinner. I can HATE Cy Twombly's paintings and yet be totally indifferent , or even feel affection for, Cy Twombly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you must reread the title of this thread. It was carefully worded to distinguish the sin from the sinner.
I can HATE Cy Twombly's paintings and yet be totally indifferent , or even feel affection for, Cy Twombly.
Yes; there were 2 questions.

I have not seen artistic work that excited hatred in me.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:35 am

I have inquired for the definition of art; never got much of an answer.
RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art
Quote:
art - For numerous reasons, the most difficult word to define without starting endless argument! Many definitions have been proposed. At least art involves a degree of human involvement — through manual skills or thought — as with the word "artificial," meaning made by humans instead of by nature. Definitions vary in how they divide all that is artificial into what is and isn't art. The most common means is to rely upon the estimations of art experts and institutions. More useful may be to see definitions of aesthetics, the arts, beaux-arts, craft, high art, and low art.

http://www.artlex.com/
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
watching tsar getting involved in taffy.

Let OmSig do a little research.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
You're very much correct. This might turn into some kind of quagmire. Neutral
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not if I get back to posting.
Or others who know more than I do.

In any case, we'll keep talking.

I am not quite a dummy on art history, which is to say, I know a lot but, after all, not very much. I don't much care, have never invested in art news, which I've run into by mistake.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm actually in terrible trouble. Not a joke.

I'm shortly to go bankrupt, personally. I figure they - whoever they are - will grab the majority of the paintings. They will go into some auction while I just die.
Not that my remaining paintings stretched or not are so great.

I suppose I should show photos.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh Ossobuco (((hugs))) Sad
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks, we'll see.
0 Replies