What would life be like if God/god/gods really existed?

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:29 pm
How would life be different if there really was a supernatural being looking over us, looking out for us, protecting us from evil, amen?
Wouldn't newspapers like the New York Daily News go out of business because there wouldn't be any cops getting shot by some cracked-up loser on a Bronx bound A train? No dead cops means no catchy headlines to sell paper pulp at 50¢ a pop.
No babies would get Rapid Onset Pediatric Leukemia. They wouldn't because no loving God/god/gods would do that to a child. (it's pretty awful, especially if you have to watch.)

I think we'd be saner if there was a God that we were under, you know, because there wouldn't be any doubt about it. Right now, if someone believes that God has revealed the perfect, inerrant WORD about how to behave and I have the temerity to doubt it or worse, mock it, that same believer can feel fully justified in killing me and all my family.
It's curious. Three of the major religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, all come from the same sheep herder, Abraham, yet all of them in turn have murdered, persecuted and otherwise attempted to wipe the other two off of the face of the earth.
If God/god/gods were really here that wouldn't happen because, as all three of those religions preach: God intends for his people to be at peace with themselves and with their neighbors.
But suppose God were real.
How would life be different?

Joe(I know I would be calmer. You?)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 24 • Views: 11,704 • Replies: 252

View best answer, chosen by Joe Nation
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
You wouldnt have freedom of choice....why would anyone do wrong ?

Quote:
Three of major religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, all come from the same sheep herder, Abraham, yet all of them in turn have murdered, persecuted and otherwise attempted to wipe the other two off of the face of the earth.
They were born during those kind of days. They have also grown up a lot, depending on the person.
thack45

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
You seem to have a very specific god in mind...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Life would be worse if there were gods walking amongst us mortals. For one thing, a lot more women would be raped by bulls.

That isn't a good thing. Sad
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
For one thing, a lot more women would be raped by bulls.
Actually, she wasnt raped. She raped the bull.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:39 pm
@Ionus,
Are you really TRYING to bait Hawkeye to this thread now? Shocked
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Very Happy It was punishment because the King wouldnt sacrifice the bull to Poseiden. So she was made to fall in love with the bull and the Minotaur was the result.
Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:36 pm
I'm already both a guitar god and a sex god, thus I know what it's like first hand. In a word...glorious!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:38 pm
All the world would be like one big Disneyland, but there would be no persons in Disney-character suits running around every place.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:41 pm
@Ionus,
I'm thinking of a different bull here. Razz

The Rape of Europa:
http://www.gardnermuseum.org/collection/titian_p26e1.asp
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
http://hazetoonz.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/godphone.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
I don't have any particular god in mind. There have been so many. I think I read a figure of over 3,000 individually named and worshiped gods in the past two or three thousand years. (I guess if you were named as a god but no one built you an altar or a temple you didn't make the list. That would be discouraging as a god, I think.
The Greek and Roman gods were fun, sort of. They had more family problems that Tony Soprano.....(It's interesting that Tony never tried to bang his daughter as a couple of Greek gods did.) What they never did was try to save the life of some little boy who ,,,,,I don't know.....gotten lost while watching sheep or headed off without his mother's permission to fight against the Persians. You couldn't really petition that bunch up on Olympus to do anything. Kind of useless really.
Kind of like like all the Hindu gods, you can only ask a Hindu god to withhold some catastrophe, you can't ask for good crops, but you can ask if this year's typhoons can't be a bit less blowy. And, just like all the Christian gods (Don't kid me, there's a bunch of them.) none of them respond with any regularity.

If God existed that is one thing I would insist upon, that there be some consistency in the love and the rage. (Why is it? Every time I start talking about behavior of gods, they sound and act as if they are abusive alcoholics,???
==
Oh boy, I think I just answered my own question, but feel free to continue to add to this thread.
What would the world be like if God were real? It would be like every house who has a viscous drunk for a father. Lot's of abuse followed by abject apologies and gifts all around followed by more abuse..... .

I'm sure there would be mercy.
Joe(Drunks are the kindest people I know)Nation
plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:10 pm
Do you envision a friendly, interactive God? One that walks among the mortals and speaks to them?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:11 pm
@plainoldme,
I wouldn't like that.

I get nervous enough talking to the cops...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe?! You brought the scientologists to a2k with this thread!!

Witness the first official scientology advertisement I ever seen here.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2nja6xl.jpg
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:32 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

You seem to have a very specific god in mind...
This was poorly worded. Sorry. I meant specific ideas of what a god would be like. Confused
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Asterios, king of Crete, adopted the three sons of Zeus and Europa, Minos, Sarpedon and Rhadamanthus.

Minos justified his accession as king and prayed to Poseidon for a sign. Poseidon sent a giant white bull out of the sea.[19] Minos was committed to sacrificing the bull to Poseidon,[20] but then decided to substitute a different bull. In rage, Poseidon cursed Pasiphaë, Minos' wife, with zoophilia. Daedalus built her a wooden cow, which she hid inside. The bull mated with the wooden cow and Pasiphaë was impregnated by the bull, giving birth to a horrible monster, again named Asterius,[21] the Minotaur, half man half bull. Daedalus then built a complicated "chamber that with its tangled windings perplexed the outward way"[22] called the Labyrinth, and Minos put the Minotaur in it. To make sure no one would ever know the secret of who the Minotaur was and how to get out of the Labyrinth (Daedalus knew both of these things), Minos imprisoned Daedalus and his son, Icarus, along with the monster. Daedalus and Icarus flew away on wings Daedalus invented, but Icarus' wings melted because he flew too close to the sun. Icarus fell in the sea and drowned.

When Minos' son Androgeos had won the Panathenaeic Games the king, Aegeus, sent him to Marathon to fight a bull, resulting in the death of Androgeos. Outraged, Minos went to Athens to avenge his son, and on the way he camped at Megara where Nisos lived. Learning that Nisos' strength came from his hair, Minos gained the love of Scylla and her aid in cutting off her father's hair so that he could conquer the city. After his triumph, he punished Scylla for her treachery against her father by tying her to a boat and dragging her until she drowned. On arriving in Attica, he asked Zeus to punish the city, and the god struck it with plague and hunger. An oracle told the Athenians to meet any of Minos' demands if they wanted to escape the punishment. Minos then asked Athens to send seven boys and seven girls to Crete every nine years to be sacrificed to the Minotaur, the offspring from the zoophilic encounter of Minos' wife Pasiphae with a certain bull that the king refused to sacrifice to Poseidon, which he had placed within a labyrinth he commanded his architect Daedalus to build. The Minotaur was defeated by the hero Theseus with the help of Minos' daughter Ariadne.
Just showing where your one fits in.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:08 am
@Joe Nation,
you might enjoy reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, a pretty entertaining tale about the clash between the old and new gods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

Anansi Boys, a spinoff novel about the two sons of one of the gods is also a nice diversion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi_Boys

Gaiman's seminal work The Sandman dealt with many stories of how the gods interact with mortals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)
plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:43 am
@djjd62,
I like your insights into Gaiman. Thanks.
0 Replies

Mahmoudgh

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:55 am
@Joe Nation,
You claim that God doesn't exist because there is evil in the universe and If God is there, there should be no evil.
God is there why? because we are there, because the whole universe is there. It's impossible to assume that all that universe happen by chance. It's against the common sense.
One thing can convince any human being that there is no God which is to convince him that there is no universe and he himself is not there. Or to convince him that the universe is created by chance which happened once to create the earth and happened again to create our father Adam and then again and again to create Eve. Does it make any sense to you?

But if God is there and is telling us that He is Pure, Good, Loving and Fair?
If so, then where does evil, hatred and injustice come from?

God tells us the life we are in here is a test. He has created everything existing and He created whatever happens as well. There is nothing in this existence except what He has created. He also says He created evil (although He is not evil). He is using this as one of the many tests for us.

Consider people who do so much evil in the earth and then live to a ripe old age in the splendor and wealth of their ill-gotten gains and die without ever being taken to task for their deeds. Where is the justice or fairness in this?

Believing in one God and in the day of judgment when all people will be judged, make me feel peaceful and able to answer many questions.