Difference between 'stolen' and 'robbed'.

nareshd

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:21 am
stealing > refers to the action of taking something specific object or item
robbing> refers to taking of multiple object or item with the help of robber force
eg.
the thief steals the car at 3 o clock,>>here thief taking a particular object without the permission of that objects owner.
Yesterday the Jewellery shop was robbed by a group of person,> here group of robbers involved in robbery of jewellery shop, Particular object is not mentioning here, when we say Jewellery shop it might also include group of jewells...
nareshd

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:25 am
@nareshd,
Good one
0 Replies

trover

Sun 13 Mar, 2016 02:33 am
@tanguatlay,
I think that your choices in the examples are correct but not definitive. Other examples: I was not at home and when I returned found that I had been robbed (no violence there). My laptop was stolen. You would never say "I had been stolen"; nor would you say "my laptop was robbed"! My best understanding of when to use one or the other is that the legal owner/person who "no longer has possession" has been "robbed" and the object was "stolen". Hope that helps some!
0 Replies

PatrickMoreschi

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 04:38 am
@tanguatlay,
Stealing is to take something that don't belong to you.
Robbing is to take something from a person by force.

0 Replies

liqing

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:56 am
@tanguatlay,
From where I stand,'rob'refers to violence,which may hurt others.It’s usually illegal.It usually happens to noisy place.
'steal' makes less hurt.According to theproperty,this way is defined tobe illegal or not.It usually happens to quite.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Mon 16 May, 2016 03:41 am
@tanguatlay,
Stolen means to take somebodies thing without the knowledge of that person and rob mean to take someone's thing with force on the point of gun or knife.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 16 May, 2016 03:55 am
@CalamityJane,
Now this was useful for a lousy speaker like me. Won the day already. Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 22 May, 2016 11:53 am
@selectmytutor,
This is a bit incorrect. The correct distinction has already been posted. You steal property and rob owners of the property.
0 Replies

Thomas Falater

Sat 19 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@McTag,
A little off topic but people misusing the words burglary and robbery has always bugged me.

You can't rob a house. You burgle a house. And when you're caught, you're charged with burglary. Burglary is to enter a dwelling or private property with the intent to commit a felony therein. If you simply break into a house because it's cold outside and you want a warm place to sleep, you are charged with breaking and entering. If you steal something worth over $250 while you're there, it's burglary. Shoplifters can also be charged with burglary if it can be proven that they entered the store with the intent to commit a felony. (if they had secret pockets in their jacket for example).

You can only rob a person or a business or bank that is open. If you went to the bank at night and broke in and stole things, it's burglary. If you went to the bank during the day and put a gun to the teller's face, it's robbery.

Robbed is typically used when referring to taking something through the use of force or threat of force or intimidation. But it's also used to describe having something stolen or swindled from your person or assets. "I was robbed at the grocery store, they over charged me." "That stock dealer robbed me blind, he sold me worthless stock." - Thomas Falater, Springfield, Illinois
roger

Sat 19 Nov, 2016 04:44 pm
@Thomas Falater,
Hah! I once lived in Springfield. The Hotel and Restaurant Workers union didn't have a steward - they had a bagman who came around and made collections.
0 Replies

mohammed sami

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:26 am
@tanguatlay,
the clear difference is ;
When a car (as all ) is taken
we can say it has been stolen
But if something in the car
(contents in the car) is taken
we can say the car has been robbed
So we can express about houses
we say my house has been robbed (not stolen)
We mean the contents of the house
not the buildind of the house
([email protected])
0 Replies

mohammed sami

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:28 am
@tanguatlay,
the clear difference is ;
When a car (as all ) is taken
we can say it has been stolen
But if something in the car
(contents in the car) is taken
we can say the car has been robbed
So we can express about houses
we say my house has been robbed (not stolen)
We mean the contents of the house
not the buildind of the house
([email protected])
0 Replies

Alberton

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:17 am
Both of the tactics are bad. And not acceptable in the society. Robbery happened with lots of people and stolen can be done by one man.
tanguatlay

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:28 am
@Alberton,
Alberton wrote:

Both of the tactics are bad. And not acceptable in the society. Robbery happened with lots of people and stolen can be done by one man.
I disagree.
Where I live, it is common to be robbed by one man armed with a dagger.
izzythepush

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 04:07 am
One big difference is that Rob can refer to a person called Robert or Robin, but you'd never call anyone Stole. Except maybe Sylvester Stallone, I've not really thought this through.
Ticomaya

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:42 am
@izzythepush,
Also, you can wear a stole, but I've never heard of anyone wearing a rob.
izzythepush

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:45 am
@Ticomaya,
Good point. And in reference to my early point the only nicknames I've found for Mr Stallone are Sly, the Italian Stallion and Butt frog.
0 Replies

Tofail

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:33 pm
@tanguatlay,
In my opinion, yes.
0 Replies

Alberton

Sat 21 Jan, 2017 04:56 am
@tanguatlay,
Where do you live? It's really horrible scene.
tanguatlay

Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:43 am
@Alberton,
Alberton wrote:

Where do you live? It's really horrible scene.
I live in Malaysia.
0 Replies