I was asked to be his date for a family wedding...

echoing

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:03 pm
We've been talking for a few months now and I think we have some chemistry together... I was wondering, does it mean he is interested in me? Or just needed a date?
And what do you suggest I wear? He has quite a conservative family and I'm pretty nervous about going but still excited.. How should I interact with his family so that they like me? And for the dance, how much touching is enough but not too much?

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:19 pm
@echoing,
Hi echoing,

Quote:
does it mean he is interested in me? Or just needed a date?

It could be either. It's probably a good sign though.

What type of wedding is it? (Very formal, somewhat formal, casual, etc.) That dictates what you should wear.

Also what culture are you and your date's family from? (Or which two cultures, if they are different.) That affects some advice. But being friendly and respectful should cover most bases.
echoing

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:04 pm
@sozobe,
hey,
it's a somewhat formal wedding, not exactly black tie but still up there. both him the entire family are very english so i'm not sure if there are some secret laws that i'll break by mistake.... x)
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:14 pm
@echoing,
What time of day is it?

Maybe ask him to find these things out for you. It's a reasonable request. (Dress code varies a lot according to the level of formality, time of day, and all kinds of other things.)

I think "friendly and respectful" probably would fit into "very English," but I'm not sure! Probably go easy on the touching. Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:14 pm
@echoing,
He must think very highly of you to take you to a wedding where his entire
family is going to meet you. Take it as a very positive sign and relax, he would not ask you if he didn't like you. Wear something semi-formal and have fun!
echoing

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:24 pm
@sozobe,
it's in the evening. i just sent him a text asking about the dress code and i'll probably ask him about all the english taboos on the way over. Smile
0 Replies

echoing

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
okay... i can do this!
jespah

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:21 am
@echoing,
A nice dress is always going to be appropriate for semi-formal. Smile a lot -- pictures are going to be snapped even when you're not aware of them.

And enjoy yourself without going overboard with alcohol. You'll be fine. Smile
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:04 am
Is this your first date?
echoing

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:32 pm
@PUNKEY,
with him, yes.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:37 pm

H-m-m-m
pretty serious setting for a first date.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:25 pm
@echoing,
echoing wrote:

okay... i can do this!

Yes, you can!

And, you do realize that we'll all be there with you, don't you?
jespah

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:04 pm
@JPB,
And we'd all like a slice of cake, so please slice it really thinly.

Thank you in advance.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:07 pm
Wear a dress or skirt, don't wear something strapless unless you can cover it up with a shawl or scarf or sweater and make sure it's not too short or tight. Try and wear a colour other than black and definitely don't wear white. At "english" weddings so many women wear black, this way you won't blend into the crowd...as it were, but try not to wear something too slutty, this goes for shoes and makeup. The last thing you want is to be the centre of attention, it's the brides day and you want to make a good impression.
0 Replies