Euthanasia.

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
Continent Death
Euthanasia in Europe.

By Wesley J. Smith Too many people think with their hearts instead of their brains. Wanting the world to suit their desires, when faced with hard truths to the contrary, they refuse to face facts they don’t want to believe. This common human failing has a name: self-delusion.
Self-delusion is rampant in the euthanasia movement. Most proponents recognize that it is inherently dangerous to legalize killing. But they desperately want to believe that they can control the grim reaper. Thus, they continue to peddle the nonsense that "guidelines will protect against abuse" despite overwhelming empirical evidence to the contrary.
Euthanasia has been around long enough and practiced sufficiently enough for us to detect a pattern. Killing is sold to the public as a last resort justified only in cases where nothing else can be done to alleviate suffering. But once the reaper is allowed through the door, the categories of killable people expand steadily toward the acceptance of death on demand.
The classic example is the Netherlands, where doctors have been allowed to euthanize patients since 1973. Dutch death regulations require that euthanasia be strictly limited to the sickest patients, for whom nothing but extermination will alleviate overwhelming suffering — a concept in Dutch law known as force majeur. But once mercy killing was redefined as being good in a few cases rather than being bad in all circumstances, it didn’t take long for the protective guidelines to be viewed widely as impediments to be overcome instead of important protections to be obeyed.
Thus, supposedly ironclad protections against abuse — such as the doctrine of force mejeur and the stipulation that patient give multiple requests for euthanasia — quickly ceased meaningfully to constrain mercy killing. As a consequence, Dutch doctors now legally kill terminally ill people who ask for it, chronically ill people who ask for it, disabled people who ask for it, and depressed people who ask for it.
Euthanasia has also entered the pediatric wards, where eugenic infanticide has become common even though babies cannot ask to be killed. According to a 1997 study published in the British medical journal The Lancet, approximately 8 percent of all Dutch infant deaths result from lethal injections. The babies deemed killable are often disabled and thus are thought not to have a "livable life." The practice has become so common that 45 percent of neonatologists and 31 percent of pediatricians who responded to Lancet surveys had killed babies.

It gets worse: Repeated studies sponsored by the Dutch government have found that doctors kill approximately 1,000 patients each year who have not asked for euthanasia. This is not only a violation of every guideline, but an act that Dutch law considers murder. Nonvoluntary euthanasia has become so common that it even has a name: "Termination without request or consent."
Despite this carnage, Dutch doctors are very rarely prosecuted for such crimes, and the few that are brought to court are usually exonerated. Moreover, even if a doctor is found guilty, he or she is almost never punished in any meaningful way, nor does the murderer face discipline by the Dutch Medical Society. For example, in 2001, a doctor was convicted of murdering an 84-year-old patient who had not asked to be killed. Prosecutors demanded a nine-month suspended probation (!), yet even this brush — it can’t even be called a slap — on the wrist was rejected by the trial judge who refused to impose any punishment. Not to worry. The appellate court decided to get tough: It imposed a one-week suspended sentence on the doctor for murder.
Even such praising with faint damnation isn’t enough for the Dutch Medical Association. As a result of this and the handful of other non-punished murder convictions of doctors who engaged in termination without request or consent, the organization is lobbying to legalize non-voluntary euthanasia. Along these same lines — and demonstrating that the culture of death recognizes no limits — the day after the Dutch formally legalized euthanasia, the country’s minister of health advocated the provision of suicide pills to the elderly who do not qualify for killing under Dutch law.
Lest we think the Dutch experience is a fluke, let us now turn our attention to Belgium. Only one year ago the Belgians legalized Dutch-style euthanasia under "strict" guidelines. As with the Netherlands, once unfettered, the euthanasia culture quickly began to swallow Belgium whole. Moreover, the slide down the slope has occurred at a greatly accelerated pace. It took decades for the Dutch euthanasia to reach the current morass. But Belgian euthanasia went off the rails from day one: The very first reported killing — that of a man with multiple sclerosis — violated the legal guidelines (not that anything was done about it). Moreover, while 203 people were officially recognized as having been euthanized in Belgium during the first year of legal practice, most euthanasia deaths were not reported (a violation of the law). The actual toll is probably closer to 1,000.
And Belgian euthanasia advocates have already begun agitating to expand the categories of killable people. A just-completed forum attended by hundreds of Belgian doctors and euthanasia enthusiasts advocated that minors be allowed to request euthanasia, as well as people with degenerative conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, who are not imminently dying. Not only that, but the chairman of the conference wants to force doctors to participate in killing patients, even if they are morally opposed. If he gets his way, the law will soon require doctors who oppose euthanasia to refer patients who want to be killed to a colleague willing to do the deed. So much for choice.
The Swiss have also unleashed the culture of death into their midst. Rather than authorizing doctors to commit euthanasia, however, Swiss law instead permits private suicide facilitation. As a result, Switzerland has become a destination for "suicide tourists" who travel there not to ski, but to receive a poison cocktail.
A private group that goes by the name "Dignitas" facilitates most Swiss assisted suicides. Its founder, lawyer Ludwig Minelli, recently told the Swiss press that he will not restrict Dignitas’s dark work to providing services to the dying. Indeed, the report said Minelli believes that "severe depression can be irreversible and that he is justified" in helping "the mentally ill" to die. Along these lines, a Swiss doctor is being investigated for possible prosecution for the double suicide of French twins with schizophrenia. That may sound like a serious effort to crack down on abuse, but remember, once euthanasia is legitimized, such talk is often cheap. If the Dutch experience is any indication, even if the suicide doctor is convicted, he will not be meaningfully punished.
Despite this history, euthanasia advocates here and abroad still cling irrationally to the hubristic and foolish notion that they are competent to administer death. They remind one of Dr. Frankenstein, who, in the name of benefiting humankind, unleashed a terrible monster.
— Wesley J. Smith is an attorney and consultant for the International Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide. His most recent book is the revised and updated Forced Exit: The Slippery Slope From Assisted Suicide to Legalized Murder.

Your opinion has euthanasia evolved into legalized murder in some European nations? What is your opinion regarding euthanasia? Should it be allowed and if so under what circumstances and controlls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,635 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:40 am
au

Do you really want comments on a report that starts with
Quote:
The classic example is the Netherlands, where doctors have been allowed to euthanize patients since 1973.
while The Netherlands has become the first country in the world to legalise mercy killing after a controversial law on euthanasia came into force on Monday, 1rst of April 2002?

BTW: In Australia, one region, the Northern Territory, became the first place in the world to legalise euthanasia in 1996 before the law was overturned nine months later.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:04 am
Walter
Is the report true and if so you I would imagine have some opionion? Good, bad, indifferent. In this instances I only know what I read in the paper.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:50 am
No, I don't think that it is a report because the facts are totally different.

My opinion on what really is going on here in Europe and elsewhere is that I agree with that ... on one hand.
On the other, I do belive that today's medicine, especially the pain therapy in modern pain clinics, is the first choice.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:01 am
Walter
Quote:

My opinion on what really is going on here in Europe and elsewhere is that I agree with that

Sorry I am confused. You agree with what?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:02 am
This Lancet article/research is only mentioned on anti-euthanasia sites (always with the same text as above, on the sites I looked at, at least).

Here's a summary of a more recent survey by The Lancet:
Quote:
End-of-life decision-making in six European countries: descriptive study

Agnes van der Heide, Luc Deliens, Karin Faisst, Tore Nilstun, Michael Norup, Eugenio Paci, Gerrit van der Wal, Paul J van der Maas, on behalf of the EURELD consortium*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Members listed at end of report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Department of Public Health, Rotterdam, Netherlands (A van der Heide MD, Prof P J van der Maas MD); Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Department of Medical Sociology and Health Sciences, Brussels, Belgium (L Deliens PhD); University of Zurich, Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Zurich, Switzerland (K Faisst MD); University of Lund, Department of Medical Ethics, Lund, Sweden (T Nilstun PhD); University of Copenhagen, Department of Medical Philosophy and Clinical Theory, Copenhagen, Denmark (M Norup MD); Centre for Study and Prevention of Cancer, Epidemiology Unit, Florence, Italy (E Paci MD); and Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Department of Social Medicine and Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Amsterdam, Netherlands (Prof G van der Wal MD)

Correspondence to: Dr Agnes van der Heide, Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands (e-mail:[email protected])
Summary

Background Empirical data about end-of-life decision-making practices are scarce. We aimed to investigate frequency and characteristics of end-of-life decision-making practices in six European countries: Belgium, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Methods In all participating countries, deaths reported to death registries were stratified for cause (apart from in Switzerland), and samples were drawn from every stratum. Reporting doctors received a mailed questionnaire about the medical decision-making that had preceded the death of the patient. The data-collection procedure precluded identification of any of the doctors or patients. All deaths arose between June, 2001, and February, 2002. We weighted data to correct for stratification and to make results representative for all deaths: results were presented as weighted percentages.

Findings The questionnaire response rate was 75% for the Netherlands, 67% for Switzerland, 62% for Denmark, 61% for Sweden, 59% for Belgium, and 44% for Italy. Total number of deaths studied was 20 480. Death happened suddenly and unexpectedly in about a third of cases in all countries. The proportion of deaths that were preceded by any end-of-life decision ranged between 23% (Italy) and 51% (Switzerland). Administration of drugs with the explicit intention of hastening death varied between countries: about 1% or less in Denmark, Italy, Sweden, and Switzerland, 1·82% in Belgium, and 3·40% in the Netherlands. Large variations were recorded in the extent to which decisions were discussed with patients, relatives, and other caregivers.

Interpretation Medical end-of-life decisions frequently precede dying in all participating countries. Patients and relatives are generally involved in decision-making in countries in which the frequency of making these decisions is high.

Lancet 2003; 362: 345-50. Published online June 17, 2003
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
au1929 wrote:
Walter
Quote:

My opinion on what really is going on here in Europe and elsewhere is that I agree with that

Sorry I am confused. You agree with what?

I agree with that, what is going on here: 'euthanasia' according to strict laws, like in Belgium, The Netherlands and as discussed throughout Europe.

(You see, au, of you had taken a serious REPORT or even newspaper article, you certainly wouldn't be confused since there all would be REPORTED.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
I want the right to choose to end my life when I want -- and I want the right to have a doctor assist me if I am not able to accomplish it on my own.

If that means I run the risk of someone deciding that I should "go" before I make that choice, I am willing to accept that possibility.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:21 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
I want the right to choose to end my life when I want -- and I want the right to have a doctor assist me if I am not able to accomplish it on my own.

If that means I run the risk of someone deciding that I should "go" before I make that choice, I am willing to accept that possibility.

That's totally impossible under any law in any European country - and out of discussion as far as I know.

I agree that I, too, want to have the right to choose to end my life assisted by a doctor. I'm not so sure (now), if I really will decide this.
(BTW: we have something like this - called "patient's decission" since some time here in Germany.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:50 am
Walter

Euthanasia is not a subject often discussed here in the states. The article was from National Review on line. Are you saying it was a complete fabrication and it has no validity?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
Well, at least the facts are different.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 12:06 pm
This BBC-article is re the Dutch law and provides some further links

Dutch legalise euthanasia

Here's a report about the situation in France of today:

The Debate Won't Die

The situation in Europe, seen as the result of a hearing in the European Council (report from 29/09/03):

Quote:
Differences of opinion on euthanasia reflect the diversity of ethical and cultural standpoints in the Council of Europe's 45 member states. This is what emerged today from an exchange of views in the Social Affairs Committee, with contributions from representatives of the Standing Committee of European Doctors and Right to Die Europe. The Committee wanted to continue discussions on assistance to persons approaching death, following the Assembly decision this morning to defer the debate on euthanasia.

The question of choice was at the centre of this issue, said Lisette Tiddens-Engwirda of the Standing Committee of European Doctors. Doctors should not be forced to act against their conscience. They were trained to care for people whereas euthanasia resulted in patients' death. According to Rob Jonquiere from Right to Die Europe, Dick Marty (LDR, Switzerland) had produced a balanced report on the subject. It was difficult though to reconcile countries with a such range of cultural traditions. He thought that the Netherlands approach could serve as a model, and emphasised that only 2.5% of cases of death there were attributable to euthanasia.

Participants noted that definitions of euthanasia varied greatly from country to country, that assisted suicide was banned in many states and that legislation on the interruption of medical treatment was also very diverse.

Paul Flynn (SOC, United Kingdom) said that the courageous policies introduced by the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland deserved close attention while Claude Evin (SOC, France) thought that discussions should continue. The resumed debate should look at the whole issue of coping with the end of life and should draw on the work of the Bioethics Committee. The Dutch, Belgian and Swiss approaches were not the only ones, he said. Other responses existed.

Miroslav Ouzky (EDG, Czech Republic) thought that a single solution for the whole of Europe was a Utopian dream while Shavarsh Kocharyan (Armenia, LDR) called for measures to supervise euthanasia, to avoid the risk of abuse.

The Chair, Irena Belohorska (EDG, Slovakia), concluded by proposing that discussions continue at national level.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 12:16 pm
Walter
Quote:
Netherlands approach could serve as a model, and emphasised that only 2.5% of cases of death there were attributable to euthanasia.

That would seem at least to me as a substantial number of deaths attributable to euthanasia. With 2.5 out of 100 deaths being attributable to it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 01:10 pm
I would like to compare this 2% with the data of suicides due to illnesses and the time/number of those, who had/have to suffer for years/months, until I would call that "substantial".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 06:27 pm
the article states : "Repeated studies sponsored by the Dutch government have found that doctors kill approximately 1,000 patients each year who have not asked for euthanasia." ... i wonder if these studies have ever been published. if it is indeed true, i doubt that the dutch government would continue to let doctors perform euthanasea (that just an opinion of mine, of course). another question that might also be asked is, how many (terminally) ill patients in other countries die because doctors have realized that a patient is indeed terminally ill. and that it would be cruelty to simply prolong the patients suffering by artificial means if there is no hope for recovery or at least an improvement of the patients life. hbg
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:18 am
If I'm dying and in pain, a vegetable or incapable of understanding or performing day to day activities, I want my life to end. I can't believe a government, church or any other citizen would want to stop me.
It is my life and my death.
There must be clear laws but I just think the choice should be mine and mine alone.
Just a thought. Why is it, the people who often oppose euthanasia agree to the death penalty and the right to bear arms?

Walter is suicide against the law in Germany? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 01:40 am
Ceili

No (not really) - but people (police, firebrigade etc) always try to prevent you from doing such.

Quote:

"Repeated studies sponsored by the Dutch government have found that doctors kill approximately 1,000 patients each year who have not asked for euthanasia."

There have been two trials against doctors, who did this without permission this - as Dutch prosecutors thought. As far as I remember, they were released on parole.

Like hamburger, I wonder about these studies, since killing is of course a crime in The Netherlands, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 02:01 am
Another try than in Belgium, The Netherlands and Switzerland is done here in Germany and starts now more effective in the UK as well:

£12m pledged for terminally ill
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 02:54 am
Quote:
No (not really) - but people (police, firebrigade etc) always try to prevent you from doing such.

It's illegal here, but I doubt it matters to anyone who tries it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 04:21 am
Ceili wrote:
Quote:

It's illegal here, but I doubt it matters to anyone who tries it.

I don't know for sure, but if my own experiences are any indication, I'm sure it's not illegal here.
0 Replies