Evolved?

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:19 am
If I say somebody is "too evolved". What does that mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 678 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:42 am
Do you mean "involved"?

We need more context. There are too many definitions for this word, as you have used it.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:00 am
@Justin Xu,
I would guess it means that the somebody is advanced enough not to be able to fit in.
Justin Xu

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
It comes from the following paragraph:

Many people have a litany of reasons why they haven't met anyone yet - I'm afraid of being hurt again, I pick out the wrong people, there are no good people out there. I'm too old, too young, too fat, too smart, too stupid, too poor, too rich, too opinionated, too passionate, too messed up, too evolved, too boring...

What do you think of the meaning of "too evolved" here?
0 Replies

Justin Xu

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:58 pm
@spendius,
Yes, I thought it might mean what you suggest.

Thank you for your reply.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:56 am
It would really have helped if you would have printed the context . . .

In that sentence, it could also mean that he is "too changed". or "too different from what I used to be"

0 Replies

engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:59 am
You could use "mature" for "evloved", but this is really an unusual usage.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:30 am
@Justin Xu,
I can't see it meaning anything else. And especially now you have given a context.

It can't have anything to do with evolution theory because nothing existing can be said to be too evolved pejoritively. That would be to take issue with evolutionary process itself. Like saying that eagles have unfortunate table manners.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:30 am
@Justin Xu,

Quote:
Yes, I thought it might mean what you suggest.

Thank you for your reply.

You could consider the phrase "too set in their ways".

An older person has habits, preferences and customs, and does not often like to change. They are said to be "set in their ways".
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:34 am
@McTag,
Yeah, Mac, but 'set in their ways' would be the opposite of 'too evolved' which strongly implies change.

Joe(and not the change in your pockets)Nation
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:01 am
@McTag,
Actually Mac, to say somebody is "set in their ways" implies that the speaker is on the move, with it, which, one presumes, the speaker thinks is a good thing and thus a compliment to him or her self. It's a very enjoyable technique but Jesus recommended resisting temptations and thus I do this particular one. My eating jam roly-poly and runny custard is not a temptation which does me any harm but giving myself compliments I think definitely does. And the Pagan myth of Narcissus is pre-Jesus. By some distance.

They knew then that such behaviour was a dead loss for the horde so they invented a parable to help discourage it.

It's easy done though. It's like when somebody says "you don't understand evolution", which has been said to me numerous times. They are complimenting themselves that they do understand evolution because how else could they know I didn't? The fact that they know next to nothing about evolution is neither here nor there. It's the good feeling they get from the self-praise that is important. And Ignoring responses keeps it glowing.

If "You're too evolved" was said to me, by a lady particularly, I would take it as a compliment. Something similar has been said to me when I have got somebody in the pub tangled up in some specious sophistry made up on the spot but drawing from my wide experience. But they always do whatever it was that the sophistry was trying to persaude them not too. I tried to persaude a couple not to holiday in Egypt. She wished to see the pyramids and ride a camel like her sister had done. It's about a year ago. They went. My warnings were unjustified.

I would take "you're too set in your ways" as a compliment too. But "too evolved" is the opposite to a knuckle-dragger. The trouble is that knuckle-draggers are "set in their ways". So I've tangled myself up but I'll be able to wriggle free.

0 Replies