right in her secret spot?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:47 pm
Mom pulled me to her and kissed my temple, right in her secret spot.

What does "right in her secret spot" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 997 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:52 pm
@PennyChan,
More context needed. Where is the text from? Which book?
PennyChan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:55 pm
@talk72000,
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell. The story took place in 1947.
0 Replies

PennyChan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 09:31 pm
@talk72000,
And Mom just crawled in bed with me.
talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 09:54 pm
@PennyChan,
What chapter? I am finding it hard to find it. You should print out the paragraph with both paragraphs preceding and following to get the flow of thought. It could refer to parts of her body or a secret location in the room or house.
talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:13 pm
@talk72000,
Chapter22

In the morning Joe got up and left early. I heard the door click shut, and it was just beginning toget light. I heard a car engine start through the open window. After another minute or so, Mom crawled in bed with me.

She didn't say anything. She pulled me to her and kissed my temple, right in her secret spot.Then she held me, my head on her shoulder. We just lay like that, not talking.

Then finally she spoke. "One thing I was always happy about, Evie. I was happy you grew up plain, all knees and elbows. You weren't some curly-headed doll. It meant you'd use your brain.And you did. I wanted to keep you that way for as long as I could. When you started getting pretty, I didn't want you to know it. I was just watching out for you, you see, the best I could. You've got to understand something. Mothers don't want their kids to make their mistakes."

"Your mistake was what? Being pretty?"
PennyChan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:26 pm
@talk72000,
Yes. I came across the sentence in this chapter.
It means the part of her body?
talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:36 pm
@PennyChan,
It most likely is but you have to keep track of her story. She must have mentioned it earlier. Probably near her heart or something. It is about a Jewish family so it could have something to do with Jewish stuff.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:39 pm
@PennyChan,
Given the context of the neighboring sentences in the story, it could be a metaphor for the mother's touch creating an emotional connection with the daughter.
0 Replies

PennyChan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:41 pm
@talk72000,
Oh, they are not a Jewish family, but they indeed met a Jewish couple who were kicked out of the hotel later due to the restriction in Palm Beach.
talk72000

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:58 pm
@PennyChan,
I am not going to read the book for you. I normally don't read women's books as they don't interest me.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48189348/What-I-Saw-and-How-I-Lied-Judy-Blundell
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:37 am
@PennyChan,

Quote:
Yes. I came across the sentence in this chapter.
It means the part of her body?

No no no.

The mother kissed the child on the temple (on the side of the forehead beside the eye) and "her secret spot" should mean "the spot where the mother has often kissed the child before". She evidently had a habit of kissing her child like this, and the child likes it, remembering it fondly.
PennyChan

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:09 pm
@McTag,
Thanks!
0 Replies