Hell (a discussion)

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:02 am
What is Hell? and why did God create it, if indeed you believe that he did?
If the soul is immortal and heads north or south at death, what is the earths purpose?

failures art

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:45 pm
@Smileyrius,
Fear is an arms race, and Hell is a rifle.

A
R
T
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:47 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

What is Hell? and why did God create it, if indeed you believe that he did?
If the soul is immortal and heads north or south at death, what is the earths purpose?

Hell is the stick. Heaven is the carrot. They exist for the same reason other sticks and carrots exist; to get people to do what someone else wants them to do.
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:50 pm
@Smileyrius,
according to ms. benatar, hell is for children
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:02 pm
Hell keeps you in line - no really, it does.

A recent study in DC claims that the increase in spy cameras on roads and intersections won't make people behave any better, it just makes them afraid of getting caught.

So you can imagine that God is a huge authoritarian father in the sky, but he does not make you really behave and better, it's the threat of never-ending fire of Hell that does that.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:16 pm
@PUNKEY,
Hell is located somewhere between Buffalo and Rochester
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
I'm pretty sure it's still in Michigan.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:45 pm
I heard it rumored that it's in the cellar of spendiosuses pub.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@Smileyrius,
Hell.com was a very exclusive online art forum. Very difficult to get into. The site is now defunct. Sad
http://www.history.army.mil/html/faq/5star.html
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 04:24 am
I agree that Hell is often used to control the majority through fear, fire and brimstone teachings and all that jazz, but I was hoping to hear the christian reasoning behind it,maybe even a non atheist viewpoint. Im not sure there are many christians left around these parts these days.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:55 am
Right church, wrong pew.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:03 am
Hell exists in the here and now as well.
Francis

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:27 am
@Eva,
Isn't hell the well of souls?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:36 pm
a lifetime supply of your favorite beverage... but every bottle has a hole in it along with a lifetime supply of beautiful women none of whom have holes in them. that's Hell ain't it?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:22 pm
@Francis,
That's certainly one way of looking at it, Francis. Of course there are many ways. Personally, I define it as the state of being aware of, but utterly separated from, God.

Of course, if you don't believe there is a God, you wouldn't believe there is such a state.
Francis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:24 am
@Eva,
See, dear Eva, that's why I consider you my friend.

We have opposite views on these matters but allow sufficient room for others beliefs if they don't try to force us on them.

Tolerance is the operative word..

Btw, I cannot imagine what real hell is. Tough situations are not hell...
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:50 am
Thank you Eva, your thoughts were appreciated

I found the Wiki article quite interesting

wiki on the christian belief of hell wrote:
Christianity
"Gehenna", Valley of Hinnom, 2007Main article: Hell in Christian beliefs
The Christian doctrine of hell derives from the teaching of the New Testament, where hell is typically described using the Greek words Tartarus or Hades or the Arabic word Gehenna.

Hebrew OT Septuagint Greek NT times in NT Vulgate KJV NIV
Sheol[16] Hades Hades[17] x10 infernus[18] Hell Hades
Ge Hinom[19] Ennom[20] Gehenna[21] x11 infernus Hell Hell
tartaro[22] x1 infernus Hell Hell

These three terms have different meanings and must be recognized.

Hades has similarities to the Old Testament term, Sheol as "the place of the dead". Thus, it is used in reference to both the righteous and the wicked, since both wind up there eventually.[23]
Gehenna refers to the "Valley of Hinnon", which was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem. It was a place where people burned their garbage and thus there was always a fire burning there. Bodies of those deemed to have died in sin without hope of salvation (such as people who committed suicide) were thrown there to be destroyed.[24] Gehenna is used in the New Testament as a metaphor for the final place of punishment for the wicked after the resurrection.[25]
Tartaro (the verb "throw to Tartarus") occurs only once in the New Testament in II Peter 2:4, where it is parallel to the use of the noun form in 1 Enoch as the place of incarceration of 200 fallen angels. It mentions nothing about human souls being sent there in the afterlife.
In many Christian churches, such as the Catholic Church, most Protestant churches (such as the Baptists, Episcopalians, etc.), and some Greek Orthodox churches,[26] Hell is taught as the final destiny of those who have not been found worthy after they have passed through the great white throne of judgment,[27][28] where they will be punished for sin and permanently separated from God after the general resurrection and last judgment. The nature of this judgment is inconsistent, with many Protestant churches teaching the saving comes from accepting Jesus Christ as their savior, while the Greek Orthodox and Catholic Churches teach that the judgment hinges on both faith and works. However, many Liberal Christians throughout Liberal Protestant, Anglican, Catholic and some Orthodox churches believe in Universal Reconciliation (see below) even though it might contradict the "official" teachings of their denomination.

Some Christian theologians of the early Church and some of the modern Church subscribe to the doctrines of Conditional Immortality. Conditional Immortality is the belief that the soul dies with the body and does not live again until the resurrection. This is the view held by Orthodox Jews and a few Christian sects, such as the Living Church of God, The Church of God International, and Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Annihilationism is the belief that the soul is mortal unless granted eternal life, making it possible to be destroyed in Hell.

Jehovah's Witnesses hold that the soul ceases to exist when the person dies[29] and therefore that Hell (Sheol or Hades) is a state of non-existence.[29] In their theology, Gehenna differs from Sheol or Hades in that it holds no hope of a resurrection.[29] Tatarus is held to be the metaphorical state of debasement of the fallen angels between the time of their moral fall (Genesis chapter 6) until their post-millennial destruction along with Satan (Revelation chapter 20).[30]

Universal Reconciliation is the belief that all human souls (and even Demons) will be eventually reconciled with God and admitted to Heaven. This view is held by some Unitarian-Universalists.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:22 am
Dont believe everything you read on Wiki.
That last sentence, about UU's, is not that accurate.
Hell is of our own making.
No one has come back and told us different.
(Yes, I know about the book, "90 minutes in hell")

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 06:51 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

See, dear Eva, that's why I consider you my friend.

We have opposite views on these matters but allow sufficient room for others beliefs if they don't try to force us on them.

Tolerance is the operative word..

Btw, I cannot imagine what real hell is. Tough situations are not hell...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to A2K. I've had deadlines and computer problems the last couple of days.

Thank you, Francis. I consider you a friend, too. {smooch} And tolerance IS important. If the only people I considered friends were those who agreed with me, I would be a very lonely woman. Not to mention - bored!

Honestly, I don't understand what causes people to feel they must force their beliefs on others. It's antisocial, that's what it is. Do they not respect other people? More to the point, do they really think that anyone will believe anything for long if they haven't worked it out for themselves? Dumb, dumb, dumb...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 06:54 pm
@Smileyrius,
Interesting wiki find...

I think there must be ALMOST as many personal definitions of hell as there are of heaven.