tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:37 pm
Take a guided tour of Hell:
http://tinyurl.com/6e2auwq
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:55 pm
@Eva,
I lean toward the idea that hell is separation from God. I liken the relationship between heaven and hell to the one between love and indifference.
Oylok

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:08 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I lean toward the idea that hell is separation from God. I liken the relationship between heaven and hell to the one between love and indifference.

Dostoevsky agrees.
http://able2know.org/topic/164547-7#post-4431860

(I used to be interested in abstract notions of Heaven and Hell before I completely stopped trying to have any faith.)
0 Replies

koreanpsyco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:16 pm
@Smileyrius,
as translated from original scriptures in the bible....sheol and haides also hell they all mean the graveyard.......hell is not a torment place ....the bible says....Eccl 9:5 "the living are consicous they will die, but as for the dead they are concious of nothing at all"...if there concious of nothing they obviously feel no pain.........god created it as punishment for addam and eves sins...............the soul is not immortal the soul is life itself ....when the bible says the soul it means a person.......earths purpose at first was for to just live and eat.....but adam and eve sinned carring sin to us......altough the purpose for us is still the same
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 10:41 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Smileyrius wrote:

What is Hell? and why did God create it, if indeed you believe that he did?
If the soul is immortal and heads north or south at death, what is the earths purpose?

Hell is the stick. Heaven is the carrot. They exist for the same reason other sticks and carrots exist; to get people to do what someone else wants them to do.

i think of it the other way around, but that we're allergic to carrots.
0 Replies

angel1052

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:46 am
@Smileyrius,
I have had spiritual visions over the last few years, things I can't describe but I know they're not what the normal person experiences. I've had to get on medications to keep them out of my head, and have been hospitalized 3 times now for the experiences I've had.

my most recent spiritual experience, was the full concept of Hell. I firmly believe that Mentally, I was experiencing Hell. Here is my understanding of what I experienced.
When you are on your way to Hell, you are aware that you are going there, forever, and your mind slowly begins to fill with what will be happening to you there. Any light you see slowly begins to fade into darkness, and your fear grows higher, and higher, and higher. There is absolutely no escape; your whole thinking process changes in that it becomes an absolute Fact, that you are going to hell forever. Your mind will be flooded with the realization (that although not true) that Hell is all that has ever existed, God never existed. And as your fear rises, all of the sudden, when you least expect it, everything turns pitch black, and you recieve all the pain and tortures you could possibly imagine, all at the same time. Screams so loud, a 1000 times what would make you go deaf in real life, but you will never lose your hearing. Your body will be crushed and compacted into the tiniest space you could ever imagine, you will feel complete suffocation, not one bit of air, or water. in your mind, it will be as if you're the only person there, every vital organ will be ripped out of your body to the point where you won't even be able to scream. you'll never, ever see the light of day again. Loved ones and family turn into terrifying demons, as if your whole life the joke has been on you, and your life was just an illusion, and the whole time this has been the plan, for you to spend an internity of Horror and suffering. All of these terrifying things grow Infinitely Worse, Forever.

Having experienced this fully in my mind, I had to be rushed to a hospital, I was screaming and desperately asking for help, begging, and pleading, not to go there, sweating profusely, and asking for water, breathing heavily with my heart pumping so hard. They had to put me unconscious.

I am somewhat haunted by these thoughts as sometimes I can remember the sheer terror, but it fades with memory.

What I experienced was far worse than anything I'd ever read or heard about Hell, and it's something I feel I had to share.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 11:36 am
@angel1052,
angel1052 wrote:
I have had spiritual visions over the last few years, things I can't describe but I know they're not what the normal person experiences. I've had to get on medications to keep them out of my head, and have been hospitalized 3 times now for the experiences I've had.

Man, you can't make **** like that up . . . the free entertainment around here is amazing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:31 pm
@angel1052,
Pizza at bedtime will do that for me (except for the meds prt). I uually tke a Tums or two.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
Sartre was (partly) right: Hell is (some) other people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:35 am
Although Snopes contends that this is a bogus story, that there was no such "bonus test question" with the response given, it's a great story anyway.

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry midterm. The answer was so "profound"
that the professor shared it with colleagues, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing with time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there are more than one of these religions, and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell; because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year--"...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you."--and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then #2 cannot be true; and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.
0 Replies

Ford

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 04:06 am
@Smileyrius,
World is a test for all of us if we pass it like good human beings for our life time we will granted access to heaven but if we fail this tests then we will be thrown in to hell fire that's the function and purpose of hell and heaven
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 04:33 am
@Ford,
Nuh-uh . . . 't'ain't so . . .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:52 am
Hell is being trapped in a NYC subway that is stopped between stations without air conditioning while wearing high heels, carrying a brief case, groceries and an umbrella when suddenly the creepy guy smashed up next to you and smelling like a beached sardine mentions he has noticed you before and now this situation has given him the opportunity to talk to you and maybe become "friends".
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:38 am
Hell is being trapped on the streets of an endless suburban development maze of mini-mansions looking for a way out--Is that Sherwood Forest street, court, lane or circle?

Rap
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:53 am
@raprap,
Hell is having to sit and listen to an interminable Irish folk song. One of those with an infinite number of verses?
raprap

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:58 am
@farmerman,
I know at least three 'before unknownst' verses of 'Roll me over in the Clover' which can be sung with any Irish lilt.

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:52 am
I always got a charge out of Dr Faustus getting dragged to hell. "Spare me, Lucifer." Or something to that effect.
hamilton

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
poor smart people. doomed to hell, the lot of them....
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:57 am
@hamilton,
All smart people, or just setanta?
hamilton

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:57 am
@edgarblythe,
as a smart (in my optimistic opinion) person, just setanta.
0 Replies