Hell (a discussion)

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:00 am
Given the choice between spending eternity in a lake of molten brimstone, or singing the praises of a puerile, vicious and pathetically ego-centric god for eternity, i'll opt for Hell.
raprap

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
Here's what Twain had to say about the afterlife.

Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Humorous critic of problem's in the afterlife--including St Peter's dilemma.

Rap
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Given the choice between spending eternity in a lake of molten brimstone, or singing the praises of a puerile, vicious and pathetically ego-centric god for eternity, i'll opt for Hell.

Shoot, if those are the only choices, I'd tend to agree with you.
hamilton

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm
@snood,
id take
3) become god
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 12:44 am
@Smileyrius,
A person who had a near death experience have been in the gates of hell, the opening to that place to exist forever, they know and changed their life to bring GOD into their life
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 10:09 am
I have had the near death experience, in 2006. I was traveling towards a light, but my way was blocked and made difficult by what I can only describe as a maze of wet, heavy gauze. I recognized it as someplace else to go to, but there was neither great joy, nor great terror. It was completely neutral, just another place, but I decided I didn't feel like going there and against the odds given in the hospital I came on back.

I do not believe it Hell, nor do I believe that the Bible mentions it anywhere as a place of eternal torment. The lake of fire is mentioned as the second death. If any of this mythology is true I can see a certain logic in God saying "Because of your life and your behavior you don't make the cut so we're tossing you in this Lake of fire and you';ll cease to exist", but it is beyond me how people can think a merciful God would put someone in a place where they'd burn forever and that Merciful but just crap is just that.... crap when used in the context made popular by organized religion to keep the proles in line.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 11:15 am
@Philis,
Bullshit . . . you're just makin' **** up now.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
Oh I don't know.... some of them are pretty cool. I end all my shows with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrzZWLu6Qw
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 01:01 am
@Smileyrius,
Hell is for the same reason we have prison, folds who are not capable of following rules and refuse to REPENT!
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:13 pm
@Smileyrius,
At the tme of death the soul leaves the body andit can be recorded in 21 grams. (approx) So be a total god hater and get your reward or have an open heart and you will get the reward of eternal life , if that matters to U. Bible scripture talks about the gates of hell and darknes and these descriptions have been seen by people who have died and come back to life after death. Chains, gates of hell, darkness, torment, seperation of God, has been a truth revealed in the death of many deceased coming back into their bodies, back into life.
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:58 am
@Smileyrius,
Hell is the complete absense of God. God did not create hell, but he does destroy it.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 06:45 pm
@demonhunter,
@ Demonhunger

How does God destroy "the complete absence of God?"
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 06:53 pm
@Smileyrius,
That is a great question.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 07:14 pm
@chai2,
ok, because I don't know how to quote several different post at the same time, I'll just do some cuttin' and pastin'

snood said...
I lean toward the idea that hell is separation from God. I liken the relationship between heaven and hell to the one between love and indifference.

I remember learning/hearing that as a child/adolescent. I dunno, indifference is just fine with me (no joke intended)

If one has a soul, perhaps it has different needs than the mentality and emotions that at in me in this human form. It does seem to me that a lot of people set a great store on social situations, even going to far to seek them out. My stifled response whenever someone asks me if I ever (fill in the blank of anything that involves seeking out others) would be a laugh and a truly baffled "why"?

BVT said
I have had the near death experience, in 2006. I was traveling towards a light, but my way was blocked and made difficult by what I can only describe as a maze of wet, heavy gauze. I recognized it as someplace else to go to, but there was neither great joy, nor great terror. It was completely neutral, just another place, but I decided I didn't feel like going there

As long as there was no terror, I'm cool with any afterlife, if there's any consciousness there. Get's back to this idea of a soul, and whether or not it has any relationship to whatever we go through as a human.

Nirvana has more appeal to me than heaven. I think maybe a soul consists of observant indifference, or indifference observing if you will.

Green Witch said
Hell is being trapped in a NYC subway that is stopped between stations without air conditioning while wearing high heels, carrying a brief case, groceries and an umbrella when suddenly the creepy guy smashed up next to you and smelling like a beached sardine mentions he has noticed you before and now this situation has given him the opportunity to talk to you and maybe become "friends".

farmer said
Hell is having to sit and listen to an interminable Irish folk song. One of those with an infinite number of verses?

Seems like a separation, and indifference would be an improvement.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 07:36 pm
This discussion reminds me of this great video from the Atheist Connection.

Although parts of this video are quite funny, the whole idea of hell, particularly from 1:05 to 4:00 is logically addressed.

The whole video is worth the watch.

Christian Woman: When you die you're going to hell because you don't believe in God.
Atheist: You believe in a literal hell
CW: Yes I do
Atheist: and you believe we atheists deserve to go there.
CW: No
Atheist: Then how come your God would send us there?
CW: He doesn't send you there, you send yourself.
Atheist: No no no, that's silly. Then I'm choosing, right now, not to go. Now your God has the option of sending me or not.
CW: No! You send yourself.

and the music goes 'round and 'round, whoa-a whoa woe woe, and it comes out here.

BTW, my favorite part of the video is from 5:38 to 6:51.

The bad atheist man said a word that hurt the poor lady. Rolling Eyes
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:51 am
@chai2,
A very very good video, points out severe holes in the literal hell vs loving God theory.

This lady is just one of a huge number of christians who don't question the logical curve required for their beliefs. I could not be satisfied with such huge flaws in my understanding.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:18 am
@Smileyrius,
OP:

God creates it to manage the incessant emotional conflict within man.
The soul heads to its own construct in divine comprehension, which hell hath spared none itself from.

Punkey

Hell keeps people reminded of Gods potential wrath. So in a sense you are right.
Hell is not of your own making, but misery can be partially.

Eva

The well of souls is a strategic ploy to contain the souls who would say otherwise is the truth.

koreanpsyco

Well presented, in light that it is not presented often, however, you seek to find your own conclusion, soldiers bend not to mere party tricks.

angel1052

Perhaps you speak the truth of your suffering, which I bow to you because of, perhaps you are a decoy for the victim not witnessed and you relay this reprocussive act of violence against one life in this world.
It is not the intent of Hellions to wish upon thee, the revenge of a worlds ignorance, rest, for we wish you no hate for your brothers failures.

Philis

Hell is a construct by design limiting of the species lack of comprehension, that progress belongs to a world, not to a group.. The casting into Hell of souls is not reserved solely for those who can be defined as deserving of it, you see a prison, because it is a subjective place, look right, look left, Hell is around man, not within his built chambers to harness only who YOU would choose in your arrogance.. Slides to Hell are the concern of each man.. Wrath of a Hell ignored is the concern of Earth and Hell in unison, we weep not at the fallen sons of the species which desecrates itself.

Finally, to those ears who prefer the lies.

The nature of a single human being in this place is by default believing that views will change the world... Primarily due to the fact that perception is merely the construct of you, as temporary and failing as it is.... If tomorrow looks different, the truth will remain, outside your vision...

East, we Acknowledge the mirror of arrogance and sit in harmony with the child who would be God, despite his squeals, he knows not the writhe beyond the truth, that creates in pools separate from collective betterment..

We comprehend the requirement for accuracy.
We acknowledge the need for peace.

0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:52 am
Hell is also a construct issued as potential destination of those who find themselves writhing in its conclusive result outside the realms of truth.

No waiting soul who sees the truth need fear any result, beyond their own segregation from that truth.

Repairing the whole world will not happen until the whole world sees that enemies are those perceptions which build enemies of the truth.

Truth is superiority, some might say...
Others might say, truth is what we drag ourselves away from, in order to meet it face to face on a day we do not prepare for.
0 Replies

agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:28 pm
ah, a topic that can rip apart your confidence, and making it hard to live with a peace of mind.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:10 am
@agreen325i,
Sometimes, when you shine a light on the monster in your cupboard, it turns out to be a coat. Insight can gift you more peace of mind than ignorance

Unless the monster turns out to be a monster. Then my friend you are screwed.
0 Replies