Can't get my HP three-in-one to print or scan

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:20 am
I have a new HP Pavilion Slimline S5000, and an HP 3-in-1 fax/copier/printer. I My old computer had an icon for starting the printer but the new one doesn't, and I don't know how to get it started. It did scan and print a photo, but I don't seem able to get it to do anything else. I don't know whether this is a problem with the printer or the computer, but shouldn't there be some indicator?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,621 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:34 am
@Tomkitten,
Have you checked the printer settings under Start->Control Panel->Printers?

Is it the same operating system as your old computer?

Have you installed the printer drivers on your new computer?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 01:41 pm
@Tomkitten,
What is the operating system on the new computer? Windows 7 does not use the same drivers as XP and HP has not been agressive in supporting older printers with new W7 drivers. Some ideas:

1) Look up the printer on HP's website to see if you have the right drivers. If you don't, install said drivers. If HP says you are out of luck, remember that next time you need to buy a product, I did.

2) Check the port the printer is using. If it is a USB printer, move it to another USB port and reboot. If you disconnect the printer, does the computer make a sound like something was disconnected?

3) Get a laptop somewhere and plug the printer into it. My guess is that it is fine, but it doesn't hurt to check.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:15 pm
Ok, here goes:

The OS is Windows 7, and Word is 2010. The printer worked fine a couple of days ago, so I think I must have hit a wrong button somewhere. The 3-in-1 is maybe 2 years old, the computer is brand new - maybe 3 weeks old.

I did just now get it to print, but what bothers me is that there isn't anything that gives me access to options like scanning to printer vs scanning to OCR; number of copies, and so on. I've tried HP, but they don't seem to have any customer contact anymore, only forums and FAQ lists. The manual is extremely thorough when it comes to faxing, but very limited for other features. I used to be able to email HP and get an answer - usually within 24 hours.

Thank goodness I still have my old reliable Canon iP4200 which (I hope I'm not tempting fate here) just keeps chugging along, but it doesn't do faxing & scanning. I might try some other 3-in-1 but I don't want to do that just after paying for the computer.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see what happens when I follow them up.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
Well, I did the Control Panel thing, and drilled my way down to a place that gave me some of the options, but nowhere near as conveniently as on the old computer where all I had to do was click on the icon & follows the choices. It

Anyway, I kept getting a message that there was a problem (surprise surprise) so I'll pursue the driver question.

Thanks.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:03 pm
@Tomkitten,
What's the exact name and model of your HP printer? Once I have that, I can look around to see what solutions are available to make using the printer more convenient for you.
Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:36 am
@Butrflynet,
HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:21 am
@Tomkitten,
You are in luck, HP has a W7 driver for your printer.

I have a Photosmart series printer (I think a 7550, not an all-in-one) and it doesn't work well with my W7. HP told me to use a 5000 series driver and that works kind of, but I can't get borderless photos and I can't use the card reader on the printer. Very annoying. HP isn't doing anything to fix the issue either.
0 Replies