Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:14 am
Welcome Steeler Fans! Welcome Home! Come on in and join us. Some of the more colorful folks have already arrived.

There's Frank the Tank...

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/2871/nuttysteelerfan.jpg

And here we have our good friend Psycho...

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/4475/psychosteelersfan.jpg

#1 Ben Roethlisberger fan, Big Sally...

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2783/bigsallylovesben.jpg

And so many more. So don't be shy. There are a whole BUNCH of people for you to meet!

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7879/psychoward86.jpg

We're all family here in Steeler Nation. So come on in, and let's get ready for the 45th Super Bowl!*

Let's take the whole thing, one more time!

STEELER NATION ARISE!!!

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8271/steelersfansbig.jpg

kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:16 am
*It is my belief that the branding of the super bowl in that ridiculous "Super Bowl XLV" format with the roman numerals after the title is confusing and clunky and should be done away with.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:16 am
@kickycan,

silly.
kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:19 am
@McTag,
No, I'm certain it's Sally. Big Sally, to be exact. She likes it that way. And what Big Sally wants, Big Sally gets. I learned that lesson the hard way. Barely made it out alive.
kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:26 am
@kickycan,
The Steelers have played in seven Super Bowls, winning six of them, including four in six years. Below is a recap of the six wins.

Super Bowl IX
Steelers 16, Minnesota Vikings 6
Tulane Stadium, New Orleans, Louisiana
January 12, 1975; Attendance: 80,997

Super Bowl X
Steelers 21, Dallas Cowboys 17
Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida
January 18, 1976; Attendance: 80,187

Super Bowl XIII
Steelers 35, Dallas Cowboys 31
Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida
January 21, 1979; Attendance: 79,484

Super Bowl XIV
Steelers 31, Los Angeles Rams 19
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
January 20, 1980; Attendance: 103,985

Super Bowl XL
Steelers 21, Seattle Seahawks 10
Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan
February 5, 2006; Attendance: 68,206

Super Bowl XLIII
Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
February 1, 2009; Attendance: 70,774

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And hopefully...hopefully!!!...number 7....

The 45th Super Bowl
Steelers ??, Green Bay Packers ??
Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas
February 6, 2011; Attendance: ?????
kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:31 am
@kickycan,
In the 1970's the Pittsburgh Steelers were football's finest, winning four super bowls, and earning them the title, team of the 70's. The Steel Curtain defense made up of Jack Lambert, "Mean" Joe Greene, Dwight White, Ernie Holmes, Jack Ham, Mel Blount , and L.C. Greenwood instilled fear in the hearts of opposing offenses and set forth the pride in defense that has been a staple in the Pittsburgh Steelers organization ever since. The offense was lead by receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, with passes being thrown to them by future hall of famer Terry Bradshaw. Also coming out from behind an offensive line, that was centered by future hall of famer Mike Webster, was Rocky Bleier, John "Frenchy" Fuqua, and yet another future hall of famer Franco Harris. And to top it all off they were coached by the legendary hall of fame coach Chuck Noll.

Year by Year in the 1970's
1970: In the year that Three Rivers Stadium opened and the Steelers moved to the AFC as a result of the AFL, NFL merger, rookie Terry Bradshaw and RB Frenchy Fuqua led the team to 5-9 record.

1971: Chuck Noll continued to build the team as rookies Jack Ham, Larry Brown (I know it's not the same one but it still makes me cringe, i.e. Super Bowl XXX aginst the Cowboys for all of you clueless fans out there), Mike Wagner, Gerry Mullins, and Dwight White all played well. The Steelers finished 6-8 but were in the division title hunt until the last few weeks.

1972: The Steelers won their first ever division title with an 11-3 record. In the playoffs they faced the Raiders in the game in which the greatest play in NFL history took place, the Immaculate Reception. With 22 seconds left in the fourth quarter and the Raiders in the lead 7-6,the situation didn't look good for the Steelers. They were on their own 40 yard with 4th and 10 togo. The play called was 66 option. Bradshaw threw the pass to Frenchy Fuqua that either went off his outstreched fingers, or not (to this day, no one but Frenchy knows if it truly did and that is part of the lore of this play). The pass appeared to be incomplete and with that the end of the Steelers season but out of nowhere came Franco Harris running up field to make a shoestring grab. He turned and ran 42 yards for the touchdown and a Steelers win. The Steelers went on to play the only undefeated team in NFL history, the Miami Dolphins, in the AFC championship game but lost 21-17.

1973: A limping Steelers team went on to a 10-4 record and lost to the Raiders in round one of the playoffs. Terry Bradshaw, Terry Hanratty, Franco Harris, and Frenchy Fuqua were all sidelined with injuries.

1974: With another AFC Central championship the Steelers went on to win their first Super Bowl championship, Super Bowl IX, 16-6 against the Minnesota Vikings. In the game Franco Harris rushed for a record (since broken) 158 yards. Rookie Lynn Swan also played well throughout the season.

1975: The Steelers began the season being upset in week two by the Buffalo Bills but rebounded to win 11 straight games. In the playoffs they steamrolled over the then Baltimore Colts and the Oakland Raiders to face the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl X. The Steelers won 21-17 with Lynnn Swan taking the MVP and Reggie Harrison contributing to the cause by blocking a punt.

1976: The Steelers defeated the Houston Oilers in the season finale to clinch their fourth straight AFC Central title despite a 1-4 start. After an opening round pounding of Baltimore, 40-14, the Steelers lost Franco Harris to injury, and went on to lose 24-7 against Oakland in the AFC title game.

1977: For the fifth straight time the Steelers won the division title with a 9-5 record but were defeated by the Denver Broncos in the first round of the playoffs 34-21.

1978: After an excellent 14-2 record, the Steelers became the first ever team to win three Super Bowls. Once again they beat the Dallas Cowboys 35-31 led by Super Bowl MVP Terry Bradshaw who threw four touchdows. Two of Bradshaw's touchdown passes were caught in the first half by John Stallworth.

1979: With a 31-19 win over the Rams in Super Bowl XIV the Steelers finished of the 70's with a second set of back to back championsips. Terry Bradshaw also won his second straight MVP award with 309 passing yards. The Miami Dolphins and the Houston Oilers were victims on the way to Pasadena and Franco Harris tied Jim Brown's record with his seventh 1,000 yard season.

http://steelcitysports.tripod.com/seventies.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:47 am
Okay, now that the history lesson has been dispensed with, we can move on to the now. The Steelers are in it again, so what do we think of the game?

Is anyone else a little worried by how hot that stupid Packers QB has been playing? I think this Steelers defense is probably a lot better than the defenses they've played so far though. At least I hope so. Dick LeBeau is a genius, so that's a plus.

kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:59 am
@kickycan,
And James Harrison...I love this guy. Did anyone else hear (or read) his comments about the commissioner this week? Funny stuff. He mocked Goodell's phony concern about player safety and made the suggestion that maybe he could "lay pillows down where I tackle them so they don’t get hurt when they hit the ground, Mr. Goodell.

Imagine those two on the podium together if the Steelers win tomorrow? Could be seriously awk-ward. Another reason to root for the Steelers to win tomorrow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 01:22 pm
(rummaging for my terrible towel)
Ben the nose to win it by a nose!!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:17 pm

Is this about American "football"?

What do The Packers pack?

I wouldn't mess with Big Sally either.
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 07:16 pm
@McTag,
Id love to see them take 7 Super Bowls. (AT least one Pa team doesnt have its fuckin head up its ass)
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:47 am
@farmerman,

This match is playing on BBC TV tonight, but at five to midnight.

Why can't you buggers play your games at a reasonable hour?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:55 am
@McTag,

payback for b'fast @ wimbledon...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:56 am
@McTag,
well we do it cause we control the horizontal and the vertical. We can change your picture from a soft blur to incredible sharpness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 09:25 am
I did not bet money on the game. So, if we lose, at least I will not be headed here to cover it:

0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 01:45 pm
I'm getting ready to head to the Super Bowl party. I have watched the guys on ESPN almost overwhelmingly pick Green Bay. Good, let us be the underdogs. Better crow-eating later for those that picked the Packers, hopefully.
Ceili

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 02:05 pm
@kickycan,
Aren't you from NY? Why the love for the Steelers? I'm just curious, as I have no vested interest in the game. Not really a fan of football. Don't hold it against me please...
sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 02:10 pm
@kickycan,
We're making green-and-gold cakes right now...
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 02:15 pm
@sozobe,

Which team has the cutest cheerleaders? Where can I see them?
Will you eat popcorn? Or hot dogs?
What do the Packers pack?
When you have answered these questions, I have some more for you.
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 02:21 pm
@McTag,

Quote:
First they talked Lambeau's employer -- a war-time industry called the Indian Packing Company, where he worked as a shipping clerk for $250/month -- into putting up money for jerseys.

Curly LambeauBecause the company provided jerseys and permitted the use of its athletic field for practice, the club was identified in its early publicity as a project of the company. With this tie-in, the name "Packers" was a natural, and Packers they have been ever since, although the Indian Packing Company had practically faded out of the picture before that first season was half over

I can't wait around all day, I had to do it myself.
0 Replies