THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ VI

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:03 am
Time will tell.
You can believe what you don't hear.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:15 am
The only thing time will tell is how badly other NATO countries and the UN can screw things up. They are in charge with the US playing a support role at this time.

...and people wonder why we don't want their help in Iraq...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:28 am
Quote:
"Americans don't have a good reputation," Edwards said. "They are not peacekeepers. They are there to kill Taliban, and they'll tell you so. When you see American military personnel, they're in a convoy, driving Hummers, wearing black goggles and tearing through the streets."

Speaking in his office, with a map of Afghanistan above his desk and a handmade rug depicting an AK-47, two Soviet tanks and two Soviet helicopters on the floor, Edwards said the American troops haven't done much better than the Soviets did.

"They've turned the U.S. embassy into Fort Apache, and its secured areas disrupt traffic even more than it already is," he said. "Americans are viewed as arrogant. They behave in away that indicates lack of cultural understanding, and Hamid Kharzai [ the country's interim leader] is viewed as their puppet, not as a forceful leader."

Historically, puppets have not lasted long in Afghanistan, he noted.

"Americans have got themselves boxed in," he said. "The security chiefs are running the show. There's very little understanding of what's going on in Afghanistan. They're so wrapped up in security."
Quote:

Nuff said?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:36 am
UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United Nations envoy to Afghanistan has stepped down as promised following approval of a new constitution hailed as a chance to cement a fragile peace two years after the ouster of the Taliban regime.

Lakhdar Brahimi was appointed to the two-year post in late 2001 and had planned to leave once Afghanistan's constitutional grand council had finished its work, U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said Monday.

The veteran Algerian diplomat oversaw U.N. operations in Afghanistan through the U.S. war to oust the Taliban and during efforts to rebuild the war-ravaged country.

He recently warned that the United Nations would have to withdraw its staff if security doesn't improve, and he demanded that international peacekeepers steered by NATO play a larger role in the country.

On Monday, gunmen attacked the office of the United Nations refugee agency in Kandahar, throwing a grenade and firing shots but causing no injuries.

The United Nations pulled its foreign staff out of vast areas of Afghanistan in October after a refugee worker was killed. That followed a similar pullback from Iraq after an August truck bomb killed 23 people at the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad.

NATO now plans to expand patrols beyond Kabul.

Brahimi was expected to leave Afghanistan in a few days. Jean Arnault, his deputy for political affairs, will fill the post until a permanent replacement is found.

source
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 12:23 pm
McGentrix wrote

Quote:
and people wonder why we don't want their help in Iraq

America is desperate for international help. Its just that America has so pissed off the rest of the world that countries like Germany France and Russia are allowing the US to twist in the wind until international help can be agreed on terms favourable to the UN.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 01:31 pm
"Congress and the public must learn to recognize red flags
indicating that sound intelligence practices are not being
followed."

That is one of the provocative conclusions of a major new report
on the fiasco of U.S. assessments of Iraqi weapons of mass
destruction that was released today by the Carnegie Endowment
for International Peace.

Among other things, the new Carnegie study helps fill the void
left by the intelligence oversight committees in Congress, which
have shown no signs of intelligent life for months.

Quote:
Report says Iraq didn't have WMD
Author: Political pressure influenced intelligence before war
Thursday, January 8, 2004 Posted: 12:52 PM EST (1752 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Iraq had ended its weapons of mass destruction programs by the mid-1990s and did not pose an immediate threat to the United States before the war, according to a report released Thursday.
Complete article on CNN
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 01:39 pm
Walter, I think most Americans know that, but still support GWBush. His favorable rating has remained above 50 percent, so I see very little or no change by next election day.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:12 pm
Quote:

US pulls out Iraq arms search team

Thursday 08 January 2004, 16:57 Makka Time, 13:57 GMT

Despite contrary evidence, the US continues its WMD search

The United States has pulled out its 400-strong team looking for illegal weapons in Iraq even though another group searching for weapons of mass destruction remains in the country.

"They picked up everything that was worth picking up," a US official told The New York Times on Thursday, referring to the Joint Captured Material Exploitation Group.

Headed by an Australian brigadier, the team's task included searching weapons depots and other sites for missile launchers that might have been used with illicit weapons.

Some military officials are viewing the pullout as a sign that the US has given up hope of finding chemical or biological weapons in Iraq, the daily said.

However, a team tasked with disposing of chemical or biological weapons remains part of the 1400-member Iraq Survey Group that has been searching for weapons of mass destruction since Saddam Hussein was overthrown, a member of the survey group said.

However, he told the paper the team, known as Task Force D/E, for disablement and elimination, was "still waiting for something to dispose of".

No WMDs found

An interim report by Iraq Survey Group leader David Kay in October said his search had yielded no weapons of mass destruction, which the US had cited as justification for the war against Iraq.

The Washington Post on Wednesday said interviews with Iraqi scientists and investigators indicated that Saddam's regime concealed arms research that never went beyond the planning stage, although it engaged in "abundant deception" about its ambitions.

"The broad picture emerging from the investigation to date," said the Post, "suggests that, whatever its desire, Iraq did not posess the wherewithal to build a forbidden armoury on anything like the scale it had before the 1991 Gulf War."

Despite mounting evidence Iraq lacked weapons of mass destruction, the US government insists the search for banned weapons in Iraq is not over and points to thousands of seized documents that it says may yet lead to a hidden jackpot.
AFP

Source
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:45 pm
While playing Texas Hold'em the other night I went "all in" with Aces full of Kings, assuming I had the best hand. Turned out; contrary to my beliefs; I was wrong about the strength of my hand. Bummer. I don't feel bad about my decision to go "all in", and will in all likelihood do so again in the future, given such a hand.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
While playing Texas Hold'em the other night I went "all in" with Aces full of Kings, assuming I had the best hand. Turned out; contrary to my beliefs; I was wrong about the strength of my hand. Bummer. I don't feel bad about my decision to go "all in", and will in all likelihood do so again in the future, given such a hand.

Well, I'm glad no one died for your mistake.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:01 pm
Hmmmm....
I wonder who will be elected Pres of Afghanistan? Could it be that guy who was a rep for an American oil company?

Iraq:the 1st little domino on the row of American and the Western Alliance commerce plans.

So far and more to come once the resistence is quelled

U.S. Corporate Contracts in Iraq (Partial List)

Halliburton and Kellogg, Brown and Root: $8 billion (oil, private security)

Bechtel: $680 million (infrastructure)

MCI WorldCom: $30 million (wireless network)

Dyncorp: $50 million (law enforcement)

Flour Corporation: $100 million (construction for army)

Perini Corp: $100 million (construction for army)

Stevedoring Services of American: $4.8 million (manage ports)

Skylink Air and Logistic Support USA: $10.2 million (manage airports)

Louis Berger Group: $4.8 million (harbor cleanup)

Research Triangle Institute: $167 million (set up local governments)

Creative Association Int. Inc.: $62.6 million (revise educational system)
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:19 pm
Winning more hearts and minds ....

Quote:
Thursday, January 08, 2004
An Iraqi family's tragedy
In the name of God, the most Compassionate, the most Merciful.

Mr. George Bush president of the United States of America,
Mr. Tony Blair prime minister of the United Kingdom,
Mr. Jacques Chirac president of the republic of France,
Dr. Adnan Pachachi president of the Interim Governing Council,
Mr. Paul Bremer American civil adminstrator of Iraq,
Mr. Kofi Anan general secretary of the United Nations,
The Director of the Red Cross Organaziation,
The Director of the Human Rights Organization,

Dear Sirs,

I write to you in a very distressed state of mind and that may burst my emotions and passions because of the weighty calamity that struck me and my husband after losing our oldest son who was at the tender age of nineteen years. He was looking forward with eyes full of hope and optimism to a bright and eventful future, especially after being engaged to marry a relative of his very recently. He moved forward with all his energy to build their future life with firm and confident steps. But Fate stood in his way and seized him unexpectedly leaving a bleeding wound in the hearts of his parents, his fiance, and his friends and family. Please allow me to tell you my story...

On Saturday the 3rd of January 2004, my son and his cousin were travelling back to our residence in Samarra, they were driving a small cargo truck belonging to a third party from which they earn their livelihood in a country torn by wars and sanctions. Yes, they were back from Baghdad yet misfortune followed them from the beginning, their car broke down on the road which caused a delay in their arrival to Samarra when the curfew hour was just about to start in the city...And this is where the first chapter of the tragedy takes place. An American army patrol stood in their way, and after they went through the whole procedure of searching my son and his cousin, and inspecting the cargo load, they tied them up both and led them to an area about three kilometres from the scene and...in front of one of the gates of the Tharthar dam where water flows at its strongest rate and to my son and his cousin's horror, they ordered them to jump into the water, it was midnight and the cold was unbearable, when they hesitated, they were pushed by the soldiers. Unfortunately my boy cannot swim, even though swimming at this time of the year wouldn't have helped. Yet my sons cousin survived miraculously after he got stuck in a tree branch to give us his account of this tragic event which could have went untold. He tried saving my son, but the water current was stronger than him...After days of search we found my sons jacket floating with the stream, it shall remain with me as a memory and a symbol of the injustice brought against him by soldiers of the United States of America's army, who came to our country under the banners of human rights and democracy only to send my son to his demise on his wedding days...

To document the incident, my son's name is Zaydun Ma'mun Fadhil Hassun Al-Samarrai, born in the 1st of June 1984...Yes, they killed him and they broke my heart, try to imagine that dear sirs and ask your wives how hard it is for a mother to see her fruit ripen only to be thrown by sinful hands and to be swept away without any mercy or humanity. Those soldiers have turned everything America has ever stood for into one big lie. I was a victim, and there are and will be many more.

And that is why I turn to you all and to your respected ladies. And especially to Mr. President George Bush to look into my case and order an investigation of the event. I know that anything you may do will not bring me back my boy, but I wish that the procedures may put an end to the suffering of Iraqi mothers, we are reaping misery every day from actions of American soldiers with no regard to our human life, our dignity, and our culture and values. Maybe the procedures will help me trust (again) the validity of those banners and mottos that fly high in American skies, those which we do not perceive in our country, but instead find their opposites. Maybe such an investigation will support the power of law and justice so that day may not come when the conscience of one of the murderers awakens and confesses to its deeds, which will make it then a responsibility on your great nation.

I am assured that you know terrorism and what is regarded as a terrorist act. Pray tell me have you ever seen or heard about a terrorist act that is considered any uglier than this crime, which was followed by crushing the car and levelling it to the ground by American military vehicles?

This is a question I put to you all and to the international community, and I await a peremptory answer.

Yours sincerely,

In grievance for her son,

The mother of Zaydun Ma'mun Fadhil Hassun Al-Samarrai.

Samarra, Iraq.

Take a moment to read this letter twice and think about it if you are as concerned as I am. This was done in the name of your country by soldiers of your national army. This was not an accident or a mistake, this was deliberate action. I do not know the exact details of the event or what Zaydun and his cousin were accused of, that is all irrelevant because even a criminal would not deserve such treatment. This is not just about Zaydun, this is about Iraq, the same could happen to anyone, even to me. But I will keep my opinion out of it for the moment as no words can describe my frustration.

Zaydun's cousin said that the soldiers were drunk and looked tired, and that during their ride they even chatted and joked with one of the soldiers who spoke a little Arabic. After he managed to get out of the water he remained hidden because he could see that the unit was searching for them using flashlights and he was scared to death.

The family met an American official to ask him for an investigation, he yelled at them and started to lecture them about the discipline of American GI's, in the end he promised them nothing. Zaydun's body is yet to be found and the family is broken. Zaydun is a relative of mine so I volunteered to translate the letter and expose this thuggish behaviour to an audience as wide as possible, it shouldn't go unreported. The letter has already been sent to various Iraqi papers and to offices of Arab media in Baghdad. I will stay on top of this in the next few days so I would like to ask my readers to help me and write to their Senators, to the western media, and to anyone that can do something about it. I also need people to translate it to other languages. That is of course if you care about Iraq and Iraqis.

You can contact the family directly at [[email protected]]mailto:[email protected][/URL]
This is Zaydun below, and here are copies of the letter in Arabic, One and Two.
http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/zaydun.JPG

UPDATE: It seems the American official is now willing to investigate into the matter after he heard about this letter being sent to GWB and the western and arabic media. That is all the family is asking for, just an investigation. They will meet the family Saturday. I also contacted Chief Wiggles and asked him to look into the matter.

And yes the letters description of the incident is a bit obscure. But I couldn't alter the text, I was just asked to translate. Remember that this is the writing of Zaydun's mother and she is at the moment emotional and confused so you can't expect all the facts, however the family and the cousin can be reached at the email I provided for the full story.

Regarding the crushed truck, its still available for evidence. And as to the handcuffs, according to the cousin the soldiers untied them before asking them to jump in the water. Also the reference to the wedding day, that was an error of translation on my part, the text in Arabic says ayam 'irsuhu which is a bit difficult to translate to English in a meaningful way. I guess I should have seeked the help of a proffessional translator in this.

I was also a bit skeptical to the details but when I heard that the official refused to investigate, I decided to publish the letter as is. Also the cousin can identify the American GI's, it was not a checkpoint unit, it was a patrolling unit. They were not fedayeen disguised in American GI uniforms, thats ridiculous. If it sounds like propaganda to you thats all the more reason to carry out a meticulous investigation, as you know stories like this can inflame peoples reaction and a lot of Zaydun's relatives may want to take revenge by themselves. And would you blame them for that if the Americans in charge dismissed the matter without an investigation?

A creepy coincidence is that just this afternoon I heard that a friend of mine was badly injured by another American unit in Baghdad last night during a wedding when people started to celebrate iraqi style by shooting in the air. It was a mistake yes but the doctors say my friend may not be able to walk again. I am at the moment too overwhelmed with bad news so I may sound incoherent to you.

I will post more updates as soon as I get them.

# posted by zeyad : 1/8/2004 12:37:30 PM
comments (200)

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:20 pm
nimh wrote:
let's just say our PM is no GWB. Remember the classic photo opp of a smiling Bush, jovially carrying a beautiful turkey, surrounded by happy, proud and grinning US soldiers?

Well, these were the photos that greeted Balkenende on the front pages on his return ... not quite the same thing, huh? (He's the one with the glasses).

http://www.volkskrant.nl/images/blketenirak.jpg

"It's good to be here", says Balkenende, slightly tense. "It is important work you're doing here for the future of Iran, eh, Iraq.''

He made the mistake twice.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 07:22 am
Captured or prisoner??????????

Quote:
Secret photo of a cowering dictator

By BRAD CLIFTON
http://images.news.com.au/thedailytelegraph/733410_saddam.jpg

January 9, 2004

THIS appears to be the moment Saddam Hussein was dragged from his hole and exposed to the world - but it is a snapshot the US military did not want the world to see.

The photograph, apparently taken in the seconds after Saddam's capture near Tikrit last month, appeared for the first time yesterday on a military-related website.

The image shows a US soldier posing for the camera as he pins the bearded dictator's body and face to the dirt.

A clearly-distressed Saddam lies on his stomach as members of the US 4th Infantry Division surround him.

US military officials refused to confirm if the photograph was genuine.

The photo was published on the US website Military.com after it was supplied to one of the site's contributors, former journalist John Weisman.

"This photograph of Saddam Hussein in the moment of his capture was e-mailed to me by a friend in special forces who was damn proud of what his former colleagues in Iraq had accomplished when they pulled the dictator out of his hole," Mr Weisman said. "I thought the photo deserved wide dissemination."

Mr Weisman said he had refused military requests to remove the photograph from the site. The officials had claimed it was a security risk.

"While the soldiers in the field may have loved the idea of showing Saddam au naturel, not everyone felt that way," Mr Weisman wrote on the website.

"In fact, Military.com received a call from an official asking them to remove the photo for national security reasons.

"To me, this official was being myopic and his perception has not been echoed by the guys in the trenches, who obviously know a great picture when they see one.

"I'd like to see this photograph posted in every public building in the US so Americans can be reminded to thank the American soldiers who put their lives on the line every day to keep this nation safe and free."

Military.com spokesperson Anne Dwane insisted the picture was genuine.

"Much of our material comes in anonymously and, given our military membership, we have no reason to doubt it,' Ms Dwane said. "It certainly looks like Saddam."

If the authenticity of the picture is proved, it would have been taken by a member of the 600-strong force that captured Saddam at a farmhouse near Tikrit.

Although official army photographers were on hand to record the moment, the picture may have been snapped by a soldier, many of whom were known to carry small cameras while on patrol.

Source
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 07:43 am
Looks nothing like him
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:20 am
I agree, Steve.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:22 am
So you noticed that too. That begs the question ... why ask to have the picture removed?

Quote:
"In fact, Military.com received a call from an official asking them to remove the photo for national security reasons.

"To me, this official was being myopic and his perception has not been echoed by the guys in the trenches, who obviously know a great picture when they see one.

"I'd like to see this photograph posted in every public building in the US so Americans can be reminded to thank the American soldiers who put their lives on the line every day to keep this nation safe and free."

Military.com spokesperson Anne Dwane insisted the picture was genuine.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:40 am
Dunno.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:53 am
Maybe you are right.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:45 am
Registration is free