Does light have Mass?

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 05:23 am
Photons do not have mass. They can be converted to matter, which does have mass, e.g. in pair production. They are affected by gravity only because gravity is the distortion of space.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 11:16 am
@Brandon9000,
Being that the dark categories of the Universe (dark matter, dark energy, etc ) are growing in volume, where is the transaction from luminous matter, luminous energy, etc. To the dark categories occurring?
FBM

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 06:23 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

... They are affected by gravity only because gravity is the distortion of space.

Beat me to it.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 07:35 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
What would a formula, showing the transformation from luminous energy to dark energy, look like?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 07:47 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
It is highly unlikely, that the person who could write that equation, and thus solve one of the greatest mysteries of the universe, would be spending their time here.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 08:25 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Of course light has mass, I mean just because something is lighter than something else, does not mean it has no mass at all. Sheesh....!
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 09:29 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Thats a cute joke (I hope you meant it as a joke).
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 11:47 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
E = D (x) . "E" being luminous energy "D" being dark energy "x" can be verified through observation of what dark volume is being gained versus what luminous volume is being lost.
Wouldn't that formula work?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 12:09 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:
E = D (x) . "E" being luminous energy "D" being dark energy "x" can be verified through observation of what dark volume is being gained versus what luminous volume is being lost.
Wouldn't that formula work?

What are the units of the quantity x? You made some reference to volume. Do you intend x to have units of length cubed or to be dimensionless?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 12:38 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Since D is an unknown, saying that D is equal to any known quantity is illogical.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 07:47 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
If you have numbers for E and (x) you can than find D .
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:11 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I thought D was dark matter? this isn't algebra after all.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:52 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
I didn't write about dark matter in the formula.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Use the method they are using now to tell that the volume of dark energy is increasing.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 08:01 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The Universe is made from a material that changes it's structure based on different factors. One of these factors is density. So we are trying to understand were the transformation is occurring.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 08:34 am
@Brandon9000,
I don't think I have ever walked into a classroom were the subject was past high school level.
What understand is that a ball of dense material expanded to become every thing that we know to exist in the Universe.
So to figure out what structure this material currently holds, a formula describing it's density, would help to have a better understanding of it.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 10:45 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I don't think I have ever walked into a classroom were the subject was past high school level.
What understand is that a ball of dense material expanded to become every thing that we know to exist in the Universe.
So to figure out what structure this material currently holds, a formula describing it's density, would help to have a better understanding of it.

It's a fascinating subject and thinking about it means that you are interested in the world around you, which differs you favorably from many people. However, how skillful do you think that somebody who never studied medicine, anatomy, or biology would be at brain surgery? It simply isn't plausible that such a person would be an effective brain surgeon and, likewise, it simply isn't plausible that someone who hasn't studied physics would be a good physicist. One requirement for any equation to be correct is that the units on the left of the equals sign be the same as the units on the right. That is why say E = mc^3 is incorrect a priori.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 11:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Yes. In order to better understand it, I am asking publicly to anyone that can contribute to the topic.
5% of the Universe is luminous. That leaves a lot of the Universe that we don't understand what structure the material that makes the Universe has become.
The dark categories are either too dense or not dense enough to observe with our current technology.
So maybe the material can be explained by numbers. Like the volume it occupies when it has a particular structure.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 11:24 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Yes. In order to better understand it, I am asking publicly to anyone that can contribute to the topic.
5% of the Universe is luminous. That leaves a lot of the Universe that we don't understand what structure the material that makes the Universe has become.
The dark categories are either too dense or not dense enough to observe with our current technology.

It's not my area, but I don't think they really know what it is.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 11:33 am
@Brandon9000,
So the question "does light have mass?" Than becomes "what does it become in its next structure transformation? "