Does light have Mass?

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:55 am
@rosborne979,
Kind of makes me wonder. All this dark mass that seem to be increasing and pushing the Universe apart
Couldn't it just be residue of this tiny amount of mass that its coming out of different bodies in the Universe?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:31 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
What I am trying to say is that couldn't residue of things like the tiny amount of mass in light account for the ever expanding black matter, that's constantly growing and pushing the Universe apart?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:21 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I mean it says here these contain mass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection
So what does that mass release ? Does it release any residue ?
It may be small amounts but over time it should add up. When we estimate the weight of the Universe, are we adding in that weight?
What do we call this residue?
When things like this link happens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_decay
it says it loses energy, well doesn't energy contain mass.
What do we call this mass that's being transformed into energy and vise versa?
I mean nothing disappears, it just transforms from one thing to the other right?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:41 pm
Light is composed of energy but does not have mass.
Mass is composed of energy.
How energy can have mass in one state but not in another is the subject Higgs hoped to explain with the search for the Higgs Boson particle.
I don't understand half of what I know of Higgs Boson. There are a few threads on this board dealing with it; but you may have more luck with a Google search.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 04:05 pm
@neologist,
you mean this article?
http://io9.com/is-there-a-link-between-the-higgs-boson-and-dark-energy-1109308709
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 12:36 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
From what I understand here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy
Mass is just a from of Energy that's at rest.
so mass expands into Energy or transforms. But it is never lost or disappears.
So the Universe expanding would be just when mass transforms into energy it expands. There has to be a residue left because it never just disappears it only changes form.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:46 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
If energy keeps transforming into ways recently discovered ( dark energy, dark matter) Than that wouldn't be "empty space" out there but instead a sea of this form of energy. Expanding as more of it is transformed from other forms of energy.
0 Replies

martinies

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:24 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well I think light is massless and all its energy is involed in speed so its seems funny but in the case of light it must the speed that is warped by gravity. So its time into distance is warped by gravity.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:40 am
This is a really basic scientific question with a 5 pages of random mostly incorrect answers.

In physics there is rest mass (the mass measured as measured by a observer who is stationary relative to the object being measured) and relativistic mass (the mass measured by an observer that is moving relative to the object being measured).

The rest mass of a photon is zero. The relativistic mass is not. Photons have a measurable momentum (in fact there is a child's toy that demonstrates this).

This is as good an explanation as any

http://www.desy.de/user/projects/Physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:14 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Peter I am not a physic teacher however the reason nothing can reach the speed of light can have any rest mass is that as you approach light speed the mass increased to the point that all the energy in the universe is not enough to increase it speed further. All the energy at your command is being used to increased the mass of the object not the speed

Peanuts.

There are galaxies traveling faster than light. These galaxies formed by stars as a group, are so immense and acquire such a speed, that can reach speeds faster than 300,000km per second.

Our galaxy is thought traveling at 100,000km per second. So, WE are traveling at 100,000km per second, and the satellites carrying atomic clocks are also traveling like us at 100,000km per second thru space, so, who the hell is talking about time dilatation when astronauts travel in spaceships? ha ha ha ha.

We, humans, traveling at 100,000km per second are not increasing our mass, neither the Sun, neither the Moon... only cosmic dust added to our planet plus water particles are making our earth getting fat, not so its orbital speed around the Sun nor being part of the Milky Way traveling at 100,000km per second, which is fast, very fast.

The point is, that the silly idea that light speed is constant and that its limit is 300,000km per second is pure crap.

Now well, when dudes say that light has "zero mass", such is because our instruments can't measure the mass of light, not so because light has no mass. Light can even hit and bound in a mirror, so without doubt mass is involved in this phenomenon.

0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 09:53 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The person who is mathematically sure, knows just as much as you. Now if there are enough arguments, one of them might be partly correct as long as the complexity of the argument is not too long, creating to much variation for correctness. Why put trust in Einstein who believed that the universe was not expanding at all? That does not make the question wrong, but it makes the one who knows.......silly, while the questioner becomes intelligent.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:08 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Yes. Being that nothing just appears or disappears. We are trying to understand what substance is being transformed into dark energy, dark matter, etc. Being that the volume of them is constantly increasing. When does luminous matter and energy go into the transformation to those categories?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 12:06 pm
Did we ever establish in this thread whether light was Catholic or another religion? Or worse? Atheist? Mad
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Light celebrates Christmas... but it celebrates it in January.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 05:00 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The people who have told us that there is not enough mass in the universe in the first place, and in doing so created dark matter, really have no clue as to how much mass there should be in the universe in the first place, nor do they have a scale or ruler to measure this mass in the first place. This is not overly simplistic, it just is true. sheesh, no one even knows what the universe is, funny how people can understand the entire universe, and the creation of time itself, but they can not name what is in my pockets.

Think
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:00 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

The people who have told us that there is not enough mass in the universe in the first place, and in doing so created dark matter, really have no clue as to how much mass there should be in the universe in the first place, nor do they have a scale or ruler to measure this mass in the first place. This is not overly simplistic, it just is true. sheesh, no one even knows what the universe is, funny how people can understand the entire universe, and the creation of time itself, but they can not name what is in my pockets.

Think

You clearly don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about. Dark matter is needed to solve a very specific problem having to do with orbital velocity (as measured). I would explain it, but I suspect you don't care... or you would have taken the time to at least learn a bit before posting this.

If anyone else cares, it is an interesting discussion.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Albert Einstein showed that massive objects in the universe bend and distort light, allowing them to be used as lenses. By studying how light is distorted by galaxy clusters, astronomers have been able to create a map of dark matter in the universe. Right, and Einstein also told us that the universe was not expanding, thus we need to believe this. The universe also just popped out of nothing and is a big bubble, since bubbles are everywhere there are lots of universes.

Tip, don't believe people who say something is missing, but do not know what this is in the first place. Why, because they can claim that anything that they find is what they were looking for, getting them another grant....

It's all about money.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:36 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Imagine if a kindergarden class cut up a physics textbook put all of the scraps in a hat and shook it vigorously to mix them up. Then they took the scraps one by one to paste to a piece of paper making a physics text collage.

That is what your posts are like. They have words and phrases that are familiar to people who have studied physics... the on the whole they don't make any sense.

Real science makes sense. But it takes time and patience to understand it. People spend years studying and learning. If you haven't done the work, then it isn't surprising that you don't understand. And it is OK if you don't understand it.

But you are just taking phrases you don't understand and arranging them randomly. That doesn't count as science.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:48 pm
@maxdancona,
You studied physics, and ended up reading this.

I am humbled to be at your service.

But I am all out of dark matter at the moment, we expect a shipment in by next week.

Now can you please elaborate on Einstein's static universe, so that I can better understand advanced physics....!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 04:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Imagine if a kindergarden class cut up a physics textbook put all of the scraps in a hat and shook it vigorously to mix them up. Then they took the scraps one by one to paste to a piece of paper making a physics text collage.

That is what your posts are like. They have words and phrases that are familiar to people who have studied physics... the on the whole they don't make any sense.

Real science makes sense. But it takes time and patience to understand it. People spend years studying and learning. If you haven't done the work, then it isn't surprising that you don't understand. And it is OK if you don't understand it.

But you are just taking phrases you don't understand and arranging them randomly. That doesn't count as science.

Builder and I are working on the Poe hypothesis. That is, this is just some guy attention-whoring. The pieces are falling into place with each bit of ridiculousness he posts. Wink
0 Replies