Lest we forget.

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:19 pm
I recieved this in my E-mail. Maybe it's time for a reminder of why we are engaged in the war against terrorism.

http://members.cox.net/classicweb/email.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:27 pm
Remember the Alamo!!!
0 Replies

GeorgeT

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:30 pm
Who will defend us from the threat to freedom,
the emotional manipulation, short-sightedness,
narrow-mindedness and blind allegiance
offerred by such propaganda?

Have you forgotten?
Will you succumb to it?
Will you lose your ability to think for yourself?

50,000+ innocent civilians dead. How many more
do we need to kill before we feel better?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
Craven
I wonder if you would have been so flippant if you watched the towers burn, had ash all over your neighborhood and neighbors who died that day?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
That was a truly disgusting exercise, i'm sorry i had the poor sense to click on that link . . . it was insulting . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:45 pm
Au,

I am not flippant about it at all. But I reject the use of 9/11 to justify people's political positions.

Every last "remember 9/11, this is why we are fighting" page I have seen was a disgusting marriage of the tragedy to the individual's political preference.

The link you posted was no different, it's trying to marry the war in Iraq to 9/11.

I remember it. I simply choose to remember it in a different way. The authors of such pages demand that it be remembered through support of hawkish policy.

To me that is just sad level to sink to. And it's very much like "Remeber the Alamo" which some still use to this day to justify their opinions (prejudices against Mexicans).

Not at all flippant. Simply a rejection of the author's appropriation of the event to forward his political agenda.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
i wouldn't be surprised if this is used as a bush campaign ad.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
Blimey - when are we having Kristalnacht? All that talk of blood and watering the tree of liberty etc truly reminds me of Nazi propaganda - which is something I say very seldom, because such stuff is bandied around way too much.

What I especially object to in that kind of thing is the way in which it seeks to turn genuine tragedy and horror into some kind of mawkish, atavistic and brain-numbing pep - or Nuremburg - rally.

I am sorry Au, I know this was honestly posted, but exactly what do you think that little show is supposed to summon forth in Americans (and the rest of us who were so horrified that day)?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:53 pm
Here is the agenda:

The page's author wrote:
With all the invective about "blood for oil", we are not only justified in going to war - we were obligated to do it - and to do it in every place on this earth that ever poses a threat to the American way of life. It isn't blood for oil. It's blood for freedom - the blood of our heroes. We owe it to them... and we owe it to our children. Period.

In other words:

"If you don't support the war in Iraq you obviously don't remember 9/11"

He goes on to say you are a "coward" if you don't.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:55 pm
dlowan
For no reason other than to remind people why we got embroiled in this "war."

The war I speak of is terrorism not Iraq.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
Disgusting.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
You do realize that when the author says "war" he is talking about Iraq?

And if you do realize this do you agree with the marriage?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:03 pm
As I thought - propaganda cocaine, meant to stir up uber-patriotic, blood-to-the head, intoxicated with self-righteousness and the demonisation of the other blind support for any action the US government may see fit to take - with a heady brew of if-you-ain't god's-chosen you're-the-devil's-spawnism - thus attempting to paint any opposition as umamerican and evil. Sheesh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
dlowan
For no reason other than to remind people why we got embroiled in this "war."

The war I speak of is terrorism not Iraq.

I thought the war in Iraq was supposed to be part II in the war against terrorism?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
Excuse me, but I thought we went to war in Afghanistan in response to 9/11...chasing Bin Laden, remember? Not Iraq. That was a completely different agenda. Sorry, but the 9/11 "justification" for war has been used up.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
Au,

In that case you are talking about something different from the page you touted. The author of that page considers the war in Iraq to be part and parcel of the "war" on terrorism.

The author, as an explanation, wrote:
In October of 2002, after hearing all the nay-sayers whining about going to war to fight against terrorism, (and to protect our interests and defend our allies) I wondered; how exactly do we defend and maintain our freedom then? If not by the violent destruction of those who would threaten us, then by what means? There comes a time when even peace loving people have to fight.

Along with the references to oil this is a transparent marriage of the events on 9/11 to his opinion of invading Iraq.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:11 pm
Another part of the language that especially sickens me is the bit about the "heroes" who "sacrificed themselves" used to delineate all the folk who died.

Sure, there were heroes - many more than we will ever know about, no doubt - but most of the people who died were the same as any poor bastards who die in terror attacks - poor schmucks who just got in the way - while they wanted to work, or eat, or snap photos.

To start this whole language of heroes who sacrificed themselves is to get into, again, mawkish and mind-numbing rhetoric, which debases the realities of what happened, cheapens the actions of those who did knowingly sacrifice themselves, and can serve no other purpose than to manipulate the more ingenuous or ill-intentioned of a populace to become hawkish drones.

One might as well tout a bunch of Aussie and other tourists and such in a Bali bar as heroes. Some of them became that, as did the Balinese who came and helped them, most of them were just an assorted bunch of holiday makers - some of them damned ratty ones, if I know my Bali tourist trade - who got very unlucky
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:16 pm
I thought the music sucked!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:25 pm
LOL! The music was meant to convey a sense of growing evil danger and terrible threat - and to evoke vague martial yearnings - feelings of nobleness, courage, dripping tear ducts, snotty noses, firm chins, a vacant, heroic, faraway look in the eyes, and the raising of our vestigial hackles.

As you say, so much more succinctly, it sucked.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:26 pm
You guys probably missed out on the part where he calls you cowards....
0 Replies