How many kinds of fossilized cells of animals have been found?

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:43 am
@PHB,
49 bucks sounds good, hell its only about 10 minutes actual human time

you should be getting the same amt of material, and yes, if its a tuff type of material, thered be lots of air. do you smell anything of sulfur?
0 Replies

PHB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:44 am
@PHB,
Any possibility it has anything to do with permineralization?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you have apparently not read any of my previous posts . I was ranting with bewildered about that very thing. Seems this brain has fingerprints and an impression made by a signet ring into the structure.

My apologies for not reading carefully as the thread developed. The presence of "Bewildered" early on tainted the veracity of the topic to the point where I wasn't concentrating much on the discussion. Then the photo's associating the "specimen" with a Creationist conference further eroded credibility. Only PHB's dogged adherence to a reasonable attempt at a scientific methodology seems to have pulled the topic back from the edge.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:54 am
@rosborne979,
yeh hes been a brick. I do have minor reservations from previou dealings with others but PHB doesnt appear to be of that cloth.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:55 am
@farmerman,
And by the way, even if it's determined to be a fossilized brain, how do we know what kind of animal it came from?
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm
@rosborne979,
its pretty easy biology to tell a human brain from a chimp or anything else.
Most everthing else has functional ".meatlobes" of sensory areas that weve lost.
PHB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:49 pm
@farmerman,
Easy answer...Suzanne, human brain anatomy and physiology professor, phd, 35 years, says absolutely human. has studied primates, She says not primate
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:38 pm
@PHB,
That should settle it pretty much. Ive never questioned that point. I questioned how it got in the state its in and qwhere did it originate. (when , will kind of follow along)
PHB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
Suzanne and husband drove to Manchester from Oklahoma last summer. She wanted to look the fossil over a bit more and to get familiar with the area and invest a bit of time into the Geology aspects.
She walked the stream and got a feel for the area.
She really is very, very intelligent.
Not a Phd in Geology, but knows a lot of scientific method of Geology, Archaeology and Anthropology.
She and I have spoken many times, and like you are doing, she sort of dragged me along as I was trying to put pieces of the puzzle together.

I can review some of the emails and let you know some of these aspects, get your thoughts.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:03 pm
@PHB,
Sure, you can send me a personal message or a post.
Waht was a conclusion about the site? was the site where the sppecimen was found, the same site where the specimen originated.
PHB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
" dragged me along" meant there was a learning curve or delay.
I had to research to get up to date on what she was telling me and at other times, asking me.
I don't really know what her conclusion was. I would have to say that I felt she developed probably more questions, and less answers than she maybe anticipated.
Yes, we believe the site is the same as origination.
My understanding was that it was and is considered "the new road" ( the area where the road goes over the stream.
Best I remember, by research, it was built in the 50's, maybe 60's.
The area was disrupted by earth equipment.
Likely possibility it was unearthed then.
Also, take another look at the specimen before cleaning.
Was a lot of dirt and sand and silt and fibrous ( Moss?)
Deeply embedded in specimen.
Stream moss appears possibly the same.
Silt...I dunno, possibly/ probably.
sand...I've been curious about that for a long time.
Specialized testing would probably help, hasn't been done.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:21 pm
@PHB,
should have taken a sample of the different clays and sands from the stream and then compare to whatever sediments remained within the creases of the specimen. Its easy to compare mineral typologies. Theres always a dead giveaway like some associate or tiny bit of mineral that is only found in a small area . Stuff like staurolite or kyanite and/or sillimanite or garnet (there are about 9 major species of garnet each with a unique " geologic hood". Wven in sediments there are always igneous and metamorphic associate minerals that are the "fimgerprint species"
PHB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
Shouldn't be a problem.
The stream is less than an hour and a half from here.
In the next couple of weeks, I'll take a ride,
send you samples from the area if you like.
I don't know how to do tests, or I would have done it by now.
I don't know why Suzanne didn't.

Also, specimen has had thorough cleaning.
That was mistake number one.

However, I feel sure I may still be able to dislodge something useful.
I'll put my light microscope to it tomorrow PM, see what I can do.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:11 pm
@PHB,
I read earlier, in one of the articles related, that the site of dicovery was uncertain and most likely flooded by the TVA?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:47 pm
@wayne,
yeh me too.
PHB

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry, those posts are over a year and a half old.
Also, the website is very outdated.
We do know, and have for quite a time now.
Luther Hodge's daughter and grand daughter took us to the place, and told us this was the only place he looked for neat rocks. He found others that I believe may be fossils, but not soft tissue.
Luther passed away about a year after it was given to my wife's mother.
From the beginning, over 35 years ago, it was always known among the women as "the pretty brain rock."
It always "foobied" me out, and I just wanted to bury the thing, at least until about 4 years ago.
The place is Wiley Creek, a few yards from the main road ( I forgot the name of the road, but easy to obtain.) Manchester, Tenn.
The old info was thought to be true, but inaccurate.
There was flooding, and I even got flood maps from TVA, thinking this to be true.
I had thought that Luther's house and property had been flooded, but found that to be inaccurate as well. The house where he passed away, still exists.]
This is where he gave the rock to Eddie Mae.
I have worked diligently to achieve truth and not inaccuracies or sometimes, smoke and mirrors.
Most of the Geologic help I have received in the past, has been surprisingly sloppy.
I am grateful for the real scientific help from here.

On another note, truth or fiction...I was told that to do any kind of thin slice, requires a couple of weeks.
It takes about a week for the actual cut...true or false???
What about the "flake"
is that enough for the thin slice, I think you said it is, and how long does that take?
I am extremely hesitant to let it out of my possession for much time at all, and won't allow it to go anywhere that I don't take it.
I feel sort of like, I am it's caretaker and protector, unless and until it needs greater assistance in those areas.

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:34 pm
@PHB,
Ill respond later, Ive got a comittee meeting this evening and I gotta leave now.
PHB

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
I see that Yale university tore into the site today.
Only a couple of times did they make it past the index page, "the page with the images at the Pittsburg conference Know anything about this?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 07:59 pm
@PHB,
The Pittsburgh Conference is the biggest analytical Chem conference in the US each year. I think it bwas held in New HAven this year, so the YAle contact isnt surprising. Did you have any links youd wish to share? They may just be impatient and want to make up conclusions without data. AS I started, I wonder whether someone isnt making comment about the type of silica?

The shard you have, is it about as big as a dime? It can be sanded and polished on one side, then that side at about an 800 or 1000 grit polish, can then be balsam glued down to a slide( I wouldny use any silica glues because that'll confuse things if someone polishes the slide too thinly and then the silica glue will be confused for the specimen. Balsam is a good ole turpentine wood resin glue that has a slight yellow tinge. It wont polarize.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 08:39 pm
@bewildered,
Try a couple of google searches on 'dinosaur soft tissue'

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=dinosaur+soft+tissue&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1g-v6&aql=&oq=

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR42BF9H3k8EFSTWkW5NdzKqsgV6m4S67f4UoGu4mZhClR7zJ93&t=1

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zJgf_wDYGjQ/SgHubztvP6I/AAAAAAAAAlw/cYFrmwK5lsw/s400/Dino+Blood+Tissue.jpg